Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
rides4beer

by rides4beer

Beaver wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:48 pm
I start to think they state a higher than average weight, so that nobody is dissapointed. Has anyone seen an overweight LB rim?

My 440g RR36C02 rims came in at ~425g... And you can always ask to get a light one. ;)
Actually, I was mistaken. I had the weight for the 56's stuck in my head, since that's what I had originally wanted, but didn't want to push the limits to make them fit. On their site my wheels spec out at 1420g. But I'm ok with the actual weight, they're still lighter than my alloys, while being wider and deeper. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Ok, but I think 15 grams - 7.5g per wheel - is still a tolerable difference. ;) If you buy another set, tell them the weight you want and you will get that. ;)

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Beaver wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:54 am
That was the reason, why the weight listings on this and other sites were originally initiated. ;) But in times of 8kg aero-disc bikes maybe this doesn't matter to many anymore. ;)

Maybe you can get your hands on used TRP R970 SL brakes - those open wide enough for 30mm wide rims and weight is "acceptable" with 226g for the set. ;)
Thanks for the tip!
LouisN mentioned EeBrake G4 on page 2, 169g nearly matches CB1, only it costs some extra from the trp. :(
Cheapest I found so far was $545 for the pair, ouch! But then when you do the $/g math its worth the step from trp I guess. The day I spend that much on brakes, should be the last time hopefully, so I'm probably going with EEs. Just not now!

d36

by d36

I think im gonna order a set of 36/46s (RR36c02 and rr46c02) for my roady but im not sure on the hook or hookless option

I'm only 135lbs so will be running lower psi than most but lb say there is a limit of 40psi

Any thoughts?
Last edited by d36 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

d36 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am
I'm only 135lbs so will be running lower psi than most but lb say there is a limit is 40psi
What tire size do you plan to run with such low pressure? I'm about the same weight as you and have experience with both hookless and 46mm LB rims. Never went below 60 psi with 28mm measured tubeless Pro Ones.

d36

by d36

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:58 am
d36 wrote:
I'm only 135lbs so will be running lower psi than most but lb say there is a limit is 40psi
What tire size do you plan to run with such low pressure? I'm about the same weight as you and have experience with both hookless and 46mm LB rims. Never went below 60 psi with 28mm measured tubeless Pro Ones.
I was thinking of buying the new conti 5000s in 25 as theyll probably come out fairly wide on wider rims

So you had no problems going above 40 psi?
I know alot of other brands that have similar hookless designs with recommended psi above 40

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

d36 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:52 am
I know alot of other brands that have similar hookless designs with recommended psi above 40
Ah, so you meant top pressure limit, not the low. I used to run as much as 90psi in my WRU35C02 hookless, but usually somewhere in 70-80 psi range. Max pressure limit depends on tire size too and increases as tire shrinks. For the latest wheel build, I went with hooked RR46C02 because I planned to run tubes (lighter) and option to mount tubeless as a backup.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

d36

by d36

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am
d36 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:52 am
Ah, so you meant top pressure limit, not the low. I used to run as much as 90psi in my WRU35C02 hookless, but usually somewhere in 70-80 psi range. Max pressure limit depends on tire size too and increases as tire shrinks.
Ya

They recommend going hooked if wanting to go over 40 psi which I guess means gravel/cx only

Jugi

by Jugi

d36 wrote: I was thinking of buying the new conti 5000s in 25 as theyll probably come out fairly wide on wider rims
For road cycling application, get hooked. A lot better retention for the tires and they'll have plenty of volume on wide rims like that.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

d36 wrote:
I think im gonna order a set of 36/46s (RR36c02 and rr46c02) for my roady but im not sure on the hook or hookless option

I'm only 135lbs so will be running lower psi than most but lb say there is a limit of 40psi

Any thoughts?
Get hooks so you can use them as road tires as well. I just went through this, ordered hookless, thought more about it, and had them update my order -which they kindly did. I don’t think LB takes enough advantage of the hookless opportunity to make it worth it based on their info. I also don’t believe running a 32c gp5k at 75psi tubeless would be an issue.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Wheels came in today, and perfect timing too! An emergency stop to avoid hitting an off leash dog on the MUP killed the rear tire on my alloys.

In my haste to get them mounted, I did not get weights on my scale, so I'll just have to trust the LB scale. The 25mm GP5000s measured 27.1 at 85psi, and the rims measure just a hair over 28mm. Slightly violates the 105% rule, but it's close enough that I'm not gonna worry about it and will keep the 25 up front.

Gonna take 'em out for a spin right now and report back. I've been running 95/110psi in my 23mm GP4Ks that measure at 25mm, gonna try 85/95 on this setup and see how it feels.

I went with Swissstop Black Prince Flash Evo pads, just to make sure I had enough clearance, but I might be able to fit the regular width pads in there, might try a set in the future.
Attachments
IMG_0232.jpg

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

Looks great! Is that the stealth or white decal?
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4 eTap
2019 BMC Timemachine Road 01 Di2
2018 BMC Roadmachine 02 Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

rides4beer

by rides4beer

AlgaeHater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm
White logos, but the valve decal is stealth. I was afraid the logos wouldn't be noticeable if they were stealth, but that the vavle decal in white would stand out too much. I think they came out perfect!!

First ride report, did my usual 30 mile route, handling and comfort are definitely improved!! There's one road with really rough pavement that makes the internal cables rattle, it felt smooth with no rattling! Also a section of MUP that I hit on this route that has a bunch of ripples from tree roots growing under it, they'll rattle your fillings out if you hit it too fast, still bouncy, but much more comfortable.

It was pretty windy, so also a good test of cross wind handling, which was great. They actually handle better in the wind than my alloys. I read a post from Hambini in another thread talking about how when your tire is wider than the rim, the air detaches earlier and makes more turbulence, which actually makes the hit from the crosswinds worse, and I absolutely believe it now. When the wind would hit my other wheels (25mm tire/21mm rim) it would jerk the handle bars. Now when the wind hits, it's more of a soft push than a quick jerk, much more manageable.

Didn't really get to test speed, because my legs are shot from a trail race this past weekend. But there's one hill on this route with a curve at the bottom, that I consistently max out at 46mph on (if it's not windy), I wasn't able to get my normal push going into the hill, but still hit 46mph. More importantly tho, that curve at the bottom, on my other wheels I feel like I'm right on the edge of control taking that curve at full speed, but today I felt fully planted and in control. Looking forward to taking that hill when my legs are fresh and there isn't a 15mph headwind.

Braking is great with the Swissstop Black Prince pads, had no issues and feel like they brake just as well as my alloy wheels (it's dry out today fyi). Overal fit and finish is perfect, couldn't find a single flaw anywhere. I could not be happier with my purchase.

emotive

by emotive

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 am
AlgaeHater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 pm
White logos, but the valve decal is stealth. I was afraid the logos wouldn't be noticeable if they were stealth, but that the vavle decal in white would stand out too much. I think they came out perfect!!
The white decals look great. I have the stealth decals and they are pretty subtle. If I could go back in time, I would get white decals like yours.
First ride report, did my usual 30 mile route, handling and comfort are definitely improved!! There's one road with really rough pavement that makes the internal cables rattle, it felt smooth with no rattling! Also a section of MUP that I hit on this route that has a bunch of ripples from tree roots growing under it, they'll rattle your fillings out if you hit it too fast, still bouncy, but much more comfortable.

It was pretty windy, so also a good test of cross wind handling, which was great. They actually handle better in the wind than my alloys. I read a post from Hambini in another thread talking about how when your tire is wider than the rim, the air detaches earlier and makes more turbulence, which actually makes the hit from the crosswinds worse, and I absolutely believe it now. When the wind would hit my other wheels (25mm tire/21mm rim) it would jerk the handle bars. Now when the wind hits, it's more of a soft push than a quick jerk, much more manageable.
My experience too A well-matched tyre and wheel width mean the wind has less to 'catch' and they handle well in the wind.
Didn't really get to test speed, because my legs are shot from a trail race this past weekend. But there's one hill on this route with a curve at the bottom, that I consistently max out at 46mph on (if it's not windy), I wasn't able to get my normal push going into the hill, but still hit 46mph. More importantly tho, that curve at the bottom, on my other wheels I feel like I'm right on the edge of control taking that curve at full speed, but today I felt fully planted and in control. Looking forward to taking that hill when my legs are fresh and there isn't a 15mph headwind.

Braking is great with the Swissstop Black Prince pads, had no issues and feel like they brake just as well as my alloy wheels (it's dry out today fyi). Overal fit and finish is perfect, couldn't find a single flaw anywhere. I could not be happier with my purchase.
Great ride report. With more air volume, you can likely drop 5-10psi without any risk of bottoming out, and gain cornering traction and higher speed, especially with some of those rougher routes.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

rides4beer wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm
In my haste to get them mounted, I did not get weights on my scale
Come on!!... :roll: :lol:

Just to add something on tire width: my front (23mm CS) measured 27mm when new, they've stretched to 27.7 now. Your GP5k will probably stretch a bit too.

I've been running 60 to 80 psi on my wheels. 60 most of the time, did 80 yesterday on a group ride just for the watts! :) I'm 63kg or lower usually.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com