Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jagheterjan

by jagheterjan

The Falcon Pro rims aren't painted or clear-coated, the satin shine you see is a by-product of the resin used to bond the fibres in the mold.

by Weenie

rides4beer

by rides4beer

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:54 pm
You're saying it's painted though. If it really is satin, then it should be completely free of any coating.
The regular Falcon series are sanded and painted with a clearcoat, either Gloss, Matte, or Satin.

The Falcon PRO series, the coating is built into the mould process, so the way you see the wheel is exactly how it comes out of the mould, there is no extra sanding or painting done.

RDY

by RDY

Some of you are saying they don't paint or clear Falcon Pros ... others are saying it's a special order option.

Most of the Falcon Pros I see in this thread are clearly painted and / or cleared, so I'm assuming the latter statement is true - special order only.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:52 am
Some of you are saying they don't paint or clear Falcon Pros ... others are saying it's a special order option.

Most of the Falcon Pros I see in this thread are clearly painted and / or cleared, so I'm assuming the latter statement is true - special order only.
Dude, Falcon and Falcon Pro are two different rims. Falcon is painted with clearcoat (and satin is a special request, it's not listed on the ordering site), Falcon Pro is NOT painted, it's that simple. If the pictures you're looking at are Falcon Pro, then they are NOT painted, that's how they come out of the mould. Not sure how else to say it.

Yes, Falcon Pros look glossy or satin out of the mould, depends on the model, I want to say the WR Pros were more glossy and the AR Pros are more satin, but don't quote me on that. But that doesn't matter, if it's a PRO rim, that is exactly how it comes out of the mould, period, not painted. Hope that clears it up. :thumbup:

Cubist

by Cubist

This ^

Visqu

by Visqu

mathieurrr wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:47 pm
Has anyone ever tried the 26mm Turbo (or other Specialized tires) on the WR65?

LB says the minimum is 28mm but I also read that as long as the width is 1mm bigger than the internal that you will be ok.

I'm running 28mm GP5000 but would be fine pushing the limit if I know it's doable.
I wouldn't recommend 26 Turbo Cotton with that, the tread is just too narrow. I've used those with AR56 (23mm internal), the front only, and it's really pushing the limit already.

scatsob

by scatsob

Thank you to everyone that responded to my last post, looks like my WR50 has started since it changed to “material prep” today. I’m assuming the other will sit at “QC” until the front is done and they will build them both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sl7vk

by sl7vk

I'm super satisified with the AR46's.
151st effort up Emigration Canyon today and I PR'd it by 21 seconds. They make a huge difference versus my C24's.
Descending in cross winds does require much more concentration though...

Ymerej

by Ymerej

scatsob wrote:Thank you to everyone that responded to my last post, looks like my WR50 has started since it changed to “material prep” today. I’m assuming the other will sit at “QC” until the front is done and they will build them both at the same time.

When did you order yours? I ordered mine 1-1 2021 and they said they will be done by mid March.

scatsob

by scatsob

Ymerej wrote:
scatsob wrote:Thank you to everyone that responded to my last post, looks like my WR50 has started since it changed to “material prep” today. I’m assuming the other will sit at “QC” until the front is done and they will build them both at the same time.

When did you order yours? I ordered mine 1-1 2021 and they said they will be done by mid March.
Ordered 1 Feb. maybe they are working through the backlog faster than expected. That or they massively under promise and over deliver.

Ymerej

by Ymerej

Ok ya I was just wondering, I don’t even have Group set yet anyway, which looks back ordered as well.
Cheers

M4lukz

by M4lukz

Please help me with this question that I have, If I'm going to be runnig 28c tires (considering I'm only be riding on road), in terms of aerodinamics, would I be better served with the AR series or the WR series? I'm looking at 40-50mm deep wheels, and I've been picking my brain because some other brand wheels, the ~25 internal width is being marketed as "gravel", and I'm starting to get confused the more I look into it

emotive

by emotive

A 28 mm tire on the 30 mm AR rim will measure 30 mm, which is pretty good aerodynamically.
A 28 mm tyre on the 32.5 mm WR rim will measure 31 mm. A tyre slightly narrower than the wheel is is better aerodynamically, so I would recommend the WR.

If you live in a windy area, or you are a smaller/lighter rider, go 38 or 45mm deep. I weigh 78kg and have ridden the WR50 is gusty Melbourne weather and the Victorian alpine region without issues, but I only ride the WR65 when the wind speed is 20kmh or less.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

emotive wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:26 pm
A 28 mm tire on the 30 mm AR rim will measure 30 mm, which is pretty good aerodynamically.
A 28 mm tyre on the 32.5 mm WR rim will measure 31 mm. A tyre slightly narrower than the wheel is is better aerodynamically, so I would recommend the WR.

If you live in a windy area, or you are a smaller/lighter rider, go 38 or 45mm deep. I weigh 78kg and have ridden the WR50 is gusty Melbourne weather and the Victorian alpine region without issues, but I only ride the WR65 when the wind speed is 20kmh or less.
I'm a 60kg rider (fairly light I think), so I'm looking at some stability besides the improved aerodynamics, reducing the total weight in the process. Looking at falcon 45 vs Falcon PRO 50mm. any thoughts?

by Weenie

mathieurrr

by mathieurrr

M4lukz wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Please help me with this question that I have, If I'm going to be runnig 28c tires (considering I'm only be riding on road), in terms of aerodinamics, would I be better served with the AR series or the WR series? I'm looking at 40-50mm deep wheels, and I've been picking my brain because some other brand wheels, the ~25 internal width is being marketed as "gravel", and I'm starting to get confused the more I look into it
I thought about this many times and I'm still thinking aobut now even after I ordered my WR65. If you know you won't be running 25mm tires, then the WR make more sense. On the point of marketing, LB actually changed the language on their site to say the WR is for road and gravel.

The extra 2mm in width from going AR to WR will make an aero difference (how much is questionable though). But why not try and maximize the gains if you can. I have GP5000TL 28mm and they sit perfectly on the WR65 rims.