Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
steamroller

by steamroller

The new braided weave looks nice, anyone got this yet?

https://www.lightbicycle.com/photowall/ ... e-Rim.html

Is there much point in getting CX Sprint drive side or better off just doing CX Ray all round? Will be 24/24 on carbon Ti hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steamroller

by steamroller

One last thing - I've selected hooked rims which seem like they don't really have a downside compared to hookless, can anyone confirm that's the best option?

musiclover

by musiclover

steamroller wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 am
One last thing - I've selected hooked rims which seem like they don't really have a downside compared to hookless, can anyone confirm that's the best option?
No, it's not that simple. Each option has downsides. LB do not like to sell hokless though as they are less foolproof. I run hookless and they are better for my situation.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

steamroller wrote:
Hooked gives much more flexibility in terms of tyres you can use, basically any tubeless or clincher tyre. Whereas hookless is only certain tyres, with potential for the tyre to blow off the rim.

In theory hookless should make a lighter and stronger rim with better aerodynamics. However I would be getting hooked for Road wheels

emotive

by emotive

TwiggyForest wrote:
steamroller wrote:
Hooked gives much more flexibility in terms of tyres you can use, basically any tubeless or clincher tyre. Whereas hookless is only certain tyres, with potential for the tyre to blow off the rim.

In theory hookless should make a lighter and stronger rim with better aerodynamics. However I would be getting hooked for Road wheels
I agree. Hookless is better in theory. But there is too much inconsistency with tyre and wheel sizing, and this in reality you get a situation like Giant has with their TCR rims, where there is a very limited list of tyres that can be used.

For wider tyres the pressures used are lower, the chance of the tyre blowing off a hookless wheel are low. The higher strength of hookless beads is also good for rougher roads where a rim strike is more likely.

For these reasons I use hookless for allroad and gravel, and hooked for road.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Listen to this month's Cycling Tips interview with ZIPP product manager. He says that with the proper tire that hookless has nearly identical holding power as hooked rims. The only reason why they agreed with the ETRTO stanard of a max tire pressure of 70psi for hookless rims were the riding advantages of lower pressure... e.g. rolling resistance, comfort, etc.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/nerd-al ... confusion/

I agree, rhough, that there are much fewer acceptable rim / tire combos with hookless.

polpy

by polpy

choochoo46 wrote:Listen to this month's Cycling Tips interview with ZIPP product manager. He says that with the proper tire that hookless has nearly identical holding power as hooked rims. The only reason why they agreed with the ETRTO stanard of a max tire pressure of 70psi for hookless rims were the riding advantages of lower pressure... e.g. rolling resistance, comfort, etc.

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/nerd-al ... confusion/

I agree, rhough, that there are much fewer acceptable rim / tire combos with hookless.
A Guy from Zipp, who sells almost only hookless rims these days, tells us that hookless is better. D: yeah, sure. Image

musiclover

by musiclover

emotive wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:04 am
I agree. Hookless is better in theory. But there is too much inconsistency with tyre and wheel sizing, and this in reality you get a situation like Giant has with their TCR rims, where there is a very limited list of tyres that can be used.
Exactly, hookless is better with a tyre that works with hookless. As I found out Conti GP5000 do not but Schwalbe Pro ones do.
That's why I said above "hookless is better for my situation" and by a "situation" I meant good tyres.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

steamroller

by steamroller

Ended up going WR50s flyweight with Carbon-Ti hubs, hookless, drain holes and 24h/24h CX Rays. It's only been a few days but they are already at the sanding stage. Will post some pics when I get them if anyone is interested. Now to find some XT centrelock rotors...

mashiehood

by mashiehood

i have the WR50's on DT Swiss 180 hubs, built them myself and run them with Enve 29 tyres. Amazing set of all round wheels. I think ive noted before have been buying LB wheels for the best part of 10 years and all still running strong.

Weber

by Weber

Hi there,

Anyone compare lightbicycle quality vs Farsports kaze?

I'm looking road disc brake 30mm depth i guess 21mm inner tire for conti 5000 25 width.

I've been looking at the list of hubs they offer, is there a standard or one to avoid?

kompromesso

by kompromesso

re hubs - It's mostly a metter of weight and maintenance

emotive

by emotive

mashiehood wrote:i have the WR50's on DT Swiss 180 hubs, built them myself and run them with Enve 29 tyres. Amazing set of all round wheels. I think ive noted before have been buying LB wheels for the best part of 10 years and all still running strong.
Thinking of this setup for my WR50’s when I next replace my tyres. How wide do the Enve 29’s measure on the WR50’s?

Aryeh

by Aryeh

emotive wrote:
mashiehood wrote:i have the WR50's on DT Swiss 180 hubs, built them myself and run them with Enve 29 tyres. Amazing set of all round wheels. I think ive noted before have been buying LB wheels for the best part of 10 years and all still running strong.
Thinking of this setup for my WR50’s when I next replace my tyres. How wide do the Enve 29’s measure on the WR50’s?
30.5-31mm

mashiehood

by mashiehood

emotive wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 am
measure up to 33 depending on tyre pressure

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com