Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Ymerej

by Ymerej

I have the 25 gp5k str on ar56 and I love them. Ride great, handle great.

frnchy

by frnchy

musiclover wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm
Hi, I want a WR50 - paintless 50mm by 32mm hookless rims. Are they currently the best? The new "waivy" design does not bring much benefit does it?
But when I go ahead and try to select something, it does not give me a 15mm front hub option apart from Novotec, no DT Swiss?.. They could probably just assemble somthing with an MTB hub? They should have that. I have a road 15 by 100mm front wheel.
Which hub option is currently the best value on the higher end side? DT 240? Do those new EXP ones still break or have they fixed that? Thanks
I can't imagine the new wavy design to bring any benefit other than turning some heads at a group ride. You can always email LB or use the messenger function on their website - they were very responsive to my inquiries via their site. Another option might be to get their stock builds with hubs you know have swappable endcaps and just swap them out yourself. Might save a bit of time/money depending on the hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teamtarrant1

by teamtarrant1

frnchy wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:26 pm
musiclover wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:55 pm
Hi, I want a WR50 - paintless 50mm by 32mm hookless rims. Are they currently the best? The new "waivy" design does not bring much benefit does it?
But when I go ahead and try to select something, it does not give me a 15mm front hub option apart from Novotec, no DT Swiss?.. They could probably just assemble somthing with an MTB hub? They should have that. I have a road 15 by 100mm front wheel.
Which hub option is currently the best value on the higher end side? DT 240? Do those new EXP ones still break or have they fixed that? Thanks
I can't imagine the new wavy design to bring any benefit other than turning some heads at a group ride. You can always email LB or use the messenger function on their website - they were very responsive to my inquiries via their site. Another option might be to get their stock builds with hubs you know have swappable endcaps and just swap them out yourself. Might save a bit of time/money depending on the hub.
Yep. They've been awesome.

My LBS told me yesterday to steer clear of the 240EXP. I went 350 for the value with a small weight penalty.

I also just asked if they can add XFlow to the AR56. Probably not but will let you guys now.

Ordered my set last night!! AR56 28mm rim brake. Excited!!!!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

FWIW, I recently got the Falcon Pro 565 x-flow rims with 180 hubs and they look awesome with that satin finish and the undulating profile. No idea whether there are any realy world benefits of the x-flow design, but they sure don't seem slow and front wheel stability is excellent for the depth.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Jasonlelam wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:01 am
ms6073 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Anyone care to offer any guesses on how long util LB starts offering wheel builds with carbon spokes?
Came across this today.
https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... -Fast.html

Aluminium nipples, tubeless sealant and carbon rims... what could possibly go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Need some help deciding. I'm lacing up some Progress CLD hubs with CX-ray spokes and am trying to decide between 45/55 and 45/45 deep LB Falcon Pro rims. As I live near the coast in Sydney Australia, we do get some wind. The use case is mostly solo training and group rides, although the occasional charity ride and grand fondo are in the mix. Most of my high intensity racing is XC MTB.

Also, would appreciate thoughts on internal nipples. I haven't built with them before, but rarely need to true my other carbon rim builds (including MTB) unless I've crashed, as I'm fairly rigorous with spoke tension consistency and stress relieving.

I had hoped to build 20H front with disc brakes, but BikeInn screwed up the order. Despite 20H clearly being ordered as shown in my order history they have sent me 24H and are trying to argue 24H is what I ordered, which is a bit absurd, but that is another story...

Noeh

by Noeh

Anyone know if LB offer rebuild service if you send the hubs back (NA warehouse)? Hit a pothole about ~1in deep this past weekend, and the rear rim did not survive. :( Lukily tire was fine, and I was able to finish the ride.

Update: hub+spokes are on their way to LB for rebuild, fingers crossed.
Update 2: got the wheel back from the NA warehouse in ~2 weeks, kudos to LB for the fast turnaround!
image0.jpeg
Last edited by Noeh on Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
2022 Tarmac SL7 Pro for Waifu [7.3kg]
2021 Tarmac SL7 Pro [7.2kg]
2018 CAAD12 [7.5kg]

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Noeh wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:46 am
Anyone know if LB offer rebuild service if you send the hubs back (NA warehouse)? Hit a pothole about ~1in deep this past weekend, and the rear rim did not survive. :( Lukily tire was fine, and I was able to finish the ride.

image0.jpeg
Nasty! :o

Don't see why they would not. They have offered previously to build wheels for me from hubs I would arrange to send them (e.g Cannondale Lefty)

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I'm looking at a set of AR56 wheels with the Bitex hubs. Is there any reason to avoid Bitex? Do they roll as well as say a DT Swiss hub? How do they hold up?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:00 pm
I'm looking at a set of AR56 wheels with the Bitex hubs. Is there any reason to avoid Bitex? Do they roll as well as say a DT Swiss hub? How do they hold up?
I had a set of Bitex on AR46 rim brake, and they held up just fine and dandy for the short while I had them. Fit and finish maybe a half step below, and didn't have the nice ratchet system, but the pawls driver was never an issue and they laced up nicely with the hoops to create a great wheel.

If you're looking to save some coin they're a viable option for sure. Only real negative would be that they don't have the parts availability of DT.

spib

by spib

Does anyone have any pictures of UD rims with the glossy finish? Just ordered some r65s with this combo and I'm curious whether you can see any of the weave.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

spib wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 pm
Does anyone have any pictures of UD rims with the glossy finish? Just ordered some r65s with this combo and I'm curious whether you can see any of the weave.
Some pictures I got previously from Light Bicycle re: glossy finish with UD weave. Pretty good.

https://pic.lightbicycle.com/order/all/ ... 647338.png
https://pic.lightbicycle.com/order/all/ ... 714688.jpg
https://pic.lightbicycle.com/order/all/ ... 997002.png

spib

by spib

Thank you! Those look awesome, cant wait until mine come in.

Frisco

by Frisco

My set of 650b 30mm internal gravel wheels with AM730 rims + DT240 hubs, CX ray and brass nipples:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Can someone share direct experience with Novatec F482SB-SL compared to Bitex RAR9?
Specifically, ease of servicing and selection of upgraded bearings. This will be my dry weather hub.
What bearings are worth the upgrade? www.hambini.com/product-category/bearings/fully-sealed

Also, looking at the geometry, DS flange diameter and DS offset is marginal between these two. On paper, this tells me that Bitex RAR9 has a slight edge in stiffness.

Novatec F482SB-SL ➡️ www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/hub/615
Bitex RAR9 ➡️ www.kstoerz.com/freespoke/hub/529

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder