Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Mocs123

by Mocs123

Quick questions - I am thinking of jumping on the tail end of the Black Friday sale and ordering a set of Falcon Pro 55 Rim Brake version Flyweights with Carbon Ti hubs and setting them up tubeless with 25mm Continental GP5000S-TR's.

I think these will fit with my G3 eeBrakes - has anyone used them to confirm?

Also, if I am going to set up tubeless and I order without access holes I don't need rim tape, correct? If so, any reason why I should order with access holes?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

mag

by mag

Correct, no rim tape needed in that case. As for why or why not - with those holes it's easier to build the wheel or replace spokes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JonnieLi

by JonnieLi

mag wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:29 pm
Correct, no rim tape needed in that case. As for why or why not - with those holes it's easier to build the wheel or replace spokes.
Hi guys,
Generally no access holes, should not need rim tape but if you do not have a high pressure pump, compressor or tubeless specific gear and only use a standard floor pump, the rim tape will form a tighter bond between the bead of the tire and the wheel well. Simply because of the thickness of the tape, (maybe 2-3 layers). This is 1 of a few ways to help you seat the tire properly with a standard floor pump. (this is my experience about a road bike)

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Thanks Mag and JonnieLi - I learned something today. Alas I didn't order the wheels as despite showing 30 minutes left on the Black Friday sale, I couldn't get the 15% coupon code to work, so I figured that must be a sign I shouldn't get new wheels!

Does LB offer discount codes other times of the year of do I need to wait on next years BF sale?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

andrzejg

by andrzejg

Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:33 pm
Alas I didn't order the wheels as despite showing 30 minutes left on the Black Friday sale, I couldn't get the 15% coupon code to work
I had the same. But I was able to buy the BF promo code, which is valid until 2022.02.01. Now I have another few months to figure it out: AR56 or AR46? UD, 3K twill or maybe Hexa-comb? Carbon-Ti or DT Swiss 240? I wonder if I will buy anything before the deadline... :wink:

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I will post it in a separate thread, but before I get myself to do it - I have a pair of brand new WR38 LB rims for sale, as I have changed my mind and ordered WR50s, without building WR38s - PM me if you're interested.

Back on the topic - WR38s that I have are without nipple holes, and I have tried getting the nipples to their place with a magnet - it is simple and fast. Of course it would be a hassle if I needed to build 10 pairs of wheels in a day, but for one pair it is not a problem. I agreed with my wheelbuilder that I'll prepare the rims with nipples for him, and use orings to secure the nipples in place, like in this video: https://youtu.be/_NFEwyrSlxM

Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s
Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

malizeus

by malizeus

Anyone had their falcon pro rims stuck at sanding, mine have been at sanding for a week.

Shouldnt the pro rims come out of mould as a finished rim, what is there to sand?

gorkypl

by gorkypl

malizeus wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:20 pm
Anyone had their falcon pro rims stuck at sanding, mine have been at sanding for a week.

Shouldnt the pro rims come out of mould as a finished rim, what is there to sand?
Mine were the same. I guess there may be some other process involved, but they label it as 'Sanding' to avoid different labels for different rim series.

Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s
Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

malizeus

by malizeus

gorkypl wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:30 pm
malizeus wrote:

Mine were the same. I guess there may be some other process involved, but they label it as 'Sanding' to avoid different labels for different rim series.
Yea i guess, one rim just moved to qc.

Maybe i get them before spring time :D

FLtrooper

by FLtrooper

malizeus wrote:

Lol.. one of mine was in sanding so long that they must have sanded it away because they sent me a message and said they had to build a new WR rim because one was faulty.

They have decent communication although I was told 30 days for completion when I placed my order and it’s well over that already.

:(
:beerchug:

TamCyclist

by TamCyclist

I have WR40s arriving tomorrow in the US - exactly 2 months after ordering. I had a tracking number for over a month with no updates - so I bet they were also stuck on a vessel at a port for a while too.

Will report back with a review - but keep the faith!

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Did you use the air or sea shipping option?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

evildead

by evildead

TamCyclist wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:22 am
I have WR40s arriving tomorrow in the US - exactly 2 months after ordering. I had a tracking number for over a month with no updates - so I bet they were also stuck on a vessel at a port for a while too.

Will report back with a review - but keep the faith!
Any feedback on the WR40s? I placed an order for the same rims this week

berest

by berest

What is the approximate shipping cost and time from China to Europe using DHL Express option?

My rims were shipped 13 days ago with EMS, and all these 13 days they've been sitting in China up to now. Next time will ask to ship with another option.

djstalca

by djstalca

berest wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:32 pm
What is the approximate shipping cost and time from China to Europe using DHL Express option?

My rims were shipped 13 days ago with EMS, and all these 13 days they've been sitting in China up to now. Next time will ask to ship with another option.
I think this is only option... It will take time.... If you get it this year i will be suprised. I am waiting for mine too. Hopefully it comes by January...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com