Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
bilwit

by bilwit

edit nm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend is running 32c tires ballooning out to 34mm on AR56 rims and to maximize tire clearance with the calipers we are considering Shimano 6700 brake calipers. They provide more tire clearance than the newer generations.

The question is, can the open enough to support the 30mm wide brake track? Anyone?

It's a very stiff wheelset so even if the clearance is only 1-2mm it's ok.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Has anyone tried Sram Apex or Rival (same gen as picture) with AR56 rims?

Do they open wide enough to support the 30mm brake track?

A friend wants to go touring and it seems that Sram brakes provide the better tire clearance for mud etc.
Attachments
1627435947100.jpg

cflare

by cflare

I see some people have tried out the new "x-wave' profile / wavy design from the AR375 and AR465. Can anyone comment or provide feedback on how they feel esp in crosswinds? Does it ride more aero or is this just bad design?

Also what do people think of internal nipples? Supposedly it's more aero but it doesn't seem to be a common choice even though it's a design feature on other nice wheel brands such as Enve or Swissside.

Also, drain holes or no? Thanks!

Ravix

by Ravix

rainerhq wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am
Ravix wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:29 am
jencvo wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:12 pm
Does anyone know how fast MTS Air has been recently? I saw this as a new option, eyeing the new 3 day lead build with Bitex hubs.
Placed the order for the AR56 on May 16th, got the shipping notification on June 16th and delivered on July 2nd in NJ, US.
Was it from their quick buy option?
Sorry for the late reply, didn't log in a while! No, it was a custom build, took about 4 weeks to be built.

musiclover

by musiclover

cflare wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:13 pm
I see some people have tried out the new "x-wave' profile / wavy design from the AR375 and AR465. Can anyone comment or provide feedback on how they feel esp in crosswinds? Does it ride more aero or is this just bad design?

Also what do people think of internal nipples? Supposedly it's more aero but it doesn't seem to be a common choice even though it's a design feature on other nice wheel brands such as Enve or Swissside.

Also, drain holes or no? Thanks!
You can not have internal nipples in a "no hole" design. So pick one. I opted for "no hole".

Drain holes are obvious - it is more practical without any downsides.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

cflare

by cflare

Actually finding this article: https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/ro ... ?locale=en It seems like internal/hidden nipple only saves 0.5 watts. I think for me that might not be worth the hassle

pmprego

by pmprego

cflare wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:01 pm
Actually finding this article: https://www.swissside.com/blogs/news/ro ... ?locale=en It seems like internal/hidden nipple only saves 0.5 watts. I think for me that might not be worth the hassle
At 45kmh, no? Unless they are doing tt not even the pros have that avg speed

Tofanator

by Tofanator

What's the wait time like at the moment?
Ordered a couple of days ago and was quoted 8-10 weeks then 2-3 weeks shipping!
WR35 on Bitex hubs.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

internal nipples are shit
the only good ones are the ones on the bora wto ultra , wich you can adjust from the outside without having to remove tires
campagnolo proved that you can have no holes and internal nipples; their tool to adjust seems very clever

cause with clinchers and tubeless you can expect a slight pressure drop when tires are 25 28 mm and pumped up at high pressures
so always good to be able to adjust with tires on

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Tofanator wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:50 am
WR35 on Bitex hubs.
Ordered AR36 wheels from North American hub June 26, with expected build time 20 to 30 days.
The order tracker reported about 2 weeks later that all the parts were in except the DT Swiss 240 rear hub (XDR driver).
Their notes say that if a part is missing for 2 weeks they will notify to ask about a replacement. I decided to reach out and ask after about 2 weeks, and they replied that their next 240 hub shipment from their distributor had been pushed back to mid August.
I asked about alternatives and switched to the 180 hub. The wheels now are being built to ship in a week (probably August 6), although now from China and hence the delivery may take much longer.
VERY good communication from Light Bicycle; they asked to confirm the order at the start (to check on the decals I'd included) and responded to e mails very quickly. I'm not unhappy at all and subject to a good final product likely to buy from them again. My take-away is that even what I'd guess is a pretty large manufacturer is having issues getting enough supply of a ubiquitous part (the 240s are used everywhere), reflecting ongoing supply chain issues likely to persist.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

bilwit

by bilwit

Tofanator wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:50 am
WR35 on Bitex hubs.
I placed an order June 4th and the rims are just now getting manufactured.

jencvo

by jencvo

I ordered AR56 from Global using quick buy on Friday, July 2nd, in the evening. Received shipping notification on Monday the 12th, wheelset delivered (MTS Air) on Tuesday, July 27th, to Virginia. I think their current lead times on anything non quick build are quote long and especially for WR series. If you're in a rush, I'd ask them for lead times before ordering, they are very transparent.

Prosper00

by Prosper00

Wait time is absolutely mad at the moment. I ordered (quite a custom job to be fair) in April and I'm still waiting! I was originally quoted 10 weeks which I felt was fine as I'd still have the summer to enjoy them but now I don't know.

Carbon-Ti X-Hub 12 / 100mm straight pull Center lock Black 24H
Carbon-Ti X-Hub 12 / 142mm Sram XDR straight pull Center lock Black 24H 56T
SPOKE Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
NIPPLE Sapim Aluminium Black
AR45 disc Disc Flyweight hook 24H paintless UD 5 Years Without Holes
AR45 disc Disc Flyweight hook 24H paintless UD 5 Years Without Holes

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I ordered a set mid june and they took exactly one month to get shipped. That is for a custom build in which the rims had to be manufactured, and it was about what I was told when I emailed them before ordering. Now we'll see how long shipping takes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com