Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Elmersen

by Elmersen

Anyone who knows if the Novatec D411SB / D412SB can be delivered with swapable end caps so the wheels can also be used on my QR bike? Main bike will be TA.

Edit: Or maybe rather if it can be converted from shimano to sram xdr driver?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

JAMSXR

by JAMSXR

Call me vain but these new wavy rims look awful. I'll keep the extra drag, I don't want jelly looking rims.

Defy

by Defy

I am currently considering 3 wheels and would appreciate some input on which is best for my situation.

I have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 with their PR-2 wheelset. They have been fine, but they are quite heavy and the rear hub needs to be serviced after 6000km of riding. If I am being honest, part of the reason I am looking to upgrade is for looks.

I weigh 79kg and ride a lot of hilly terrain here in the interior of British Columbia. I am currently running Pirelli PZero Race 28c tubeless and my bike will fit up to 32c tires. I would like a wheel that is reliable, lighter and more aerodynamic than my current wheels. Any reason to rule out one or more of the wheels below?

Wheels with total prices (CAD) shipped:
1. LB AR46 DT350 24h/28h Sapim CX Ray 1526.72g+/-25 - $1212 from NA warehouse
2. LB AR56 DT350 24h/28h Sapim CX Ray 1576.72g+/-25 - $1233 from NA warehouse
3. Farsports Kaze 45 28mm DT350 24h/24h Sapim CX Ray 1540g +/- 30 - $932 from China (+ duty & taxes?)

Another option is Farsports Feder 45 28mm Bitex 312 24h/24h Sapim CX Ray 1350g +/- 30 - $957 from China (+ duty & taxes?)

TTRV

by TTRV

If time is a concern for you, ordering LB wheels is big advantage as they'll arrive quite fast from the warehouse located in Courtenay.
I'm in Vancouver and mine (AR46) took about 2 weeks from ordering to having them on my bike.

emotive

by emotive

Defy wrote:I am currently considering 3 wheels and would appreciate some input on which is best for my situation.

I have a Giant Defy Advanced 2 with their PR-2 wheelset. They have been fine, but they are quite heavy and the rear hub needs to be serviced after 6000km of riding. If I am being honest, part of the reason I am looking to upgrade is for looks.

I weigh 79kg and ride a lot of hilly terrain here in the interior of British Columbia. I am currently running Pirelli PZero Race 28c tubeless and my bike will fit up to 32c tires. I would like a wheel that is reliable, lighter and more aerodynamic than my current wheels. Any reason to rule out one or more of the wheels below?

3. Farsports Kaze 45 28mm DT350 24h/24h Sapim CX Ray 1540g +/- 30 - $932 from China (+ duty & taxes?)

Another option is Farsports Feder 45 28mm Bitex 312 24h/24h Sapim CX Ray 1350g +/- 30 - $957 from China (+ duty & taxes?)
Given you tyre choice of 28mm you want the WR series so wheel width matches the tyre. A 28mm on the AR46 or the Farsports will be more succeptable to side winds than the Wider AR56. The wider again WR50 has less tyre overlap and will handle side winds even better.

I am also 79kg. Given that you are not a flyweight, there is little downside to going to the WR50 depth. I rode them for 18 months and have since moved over to WR65 depth. Unless it is 20kmh+ wind conditions I take the bike with WR65 wheels rather than the WR50.

If British Columbia is particularly windy, go with WR50 front and WR65 rear. Check back a few posts to see how this mixed depth looks on a red Supersix.

aejt

by aejt

emotive wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:45 pm
I rode them for 18 months and have since moved over to WR65 depth.

If British Columbia is particularly windy, go with WR50 front and WR65 rear. Check back a few posts to see how this mixed depth looks on a red Supersix.
How would you say the WR50/65s with 28mms fare on light gravel? I ordered mine last week, but I've since started worrying a bit that they don't handle light gravel very well with 28s due to someone mentioning getting sidewall strikes in another post on here. I've bought them for 90%+ pavement rides, but feeling that they couldn't handle light gravel roads would feel restrictive.

emotive

by emotive

aejt wrote:
emotive wrote:
I rode them for 18 months and have since moved over to WR65 depth.

How would you say the WR50/65s with 28mms fare on light gravel? I ordered mine last week, but I've since started worrying a bit that they don't handle light gravel very well with 28s due to someone mentioning getting sidewall strikes in another post on here. I've bought them for 90%+ pavement rides, but feeling that they couldn't handle light gravel roads would feel restrictive.
I found that the sidewalls on 28mm tyres make too much contact with gravel. I’ve put some 32mm Specialized Roubaix onto my WR50 for rides where I’ll see some light gravel and they stretch out to 34.8mm and I get no sidewall contact.

Keep the WR + 28mm for 99% sealed roads. Or go to 32mm if you want to ride 10% gravel. Or if you don’t have frame clearance set up an old narrower set of wheels with 28mm tyres for light gravel rides.

aejt

by aejt

emotive wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:32 am
I found that the sidewalls on 28mm tyres make too much contact with gravel. I’ve put some 32mm Specialized Roubaix onto my WR50 for rides where I’ll see some light gravel and they stretch out to 34.8mm and I get no sidewall contact.

Keep the WR + 28mm for 99% sealed roads. Or go to 32mm if you want to ride 10% gravel. Or if you don’t have frame clearance set up an old narrower set of wheels with 28mm tyres for light gravel rides.
Ah, alright, I was hoping to go 28mm tubeless but every now and then there's a short connecting gravel road, so I might try either the new 30mm GP5Ks or even 32mms then. Thanks!

Espresssso

by Espresssso

Hey all, some questions from a long time lurker.

I'm riding a Scott Addict RC Pro 2020, currently have 62mm deep Reynolds Strike (17i/25outer) that weigh 1710g. They roll fast but I wouldn't mind something lighter. Would prefer to keep them deep section but have been a bit troubled by crosswinds on my wheels (weight 69kg / 152lbs).

Mainly looking at something I can get my hands on quickly (means that WR are off the table) and I saw that LB have both AR55 pro and AR56 available for quick buy (with holes and carbon-ti x hubs). I know they have different wheel shapes (wide V vs. U shape) but not sure which is better for me.

My two questions are, 1) which one do you reckon handles better in crosswinds and 2) is more aero? I'm thinking pure road riding, 25 or 28c tyres, doesn't matter to me which one. And 3) any experience with the carbon-ti hubs? ;)

Thanks in advance!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

aejt wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:41 am
emotive wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:32 am

Ah, alright, I was hoping to go 28mm tubeless but every now and then there's a short connecting gravel road, so I might try either the new 30mm GP5Ks or even 32mms then. Thanks!
It depend on the ratio of center tread width vs casing width of the tire too.
Conti GP5000 28c has casing width of 71mm and center tread width of 31mm.
You'd expect Pirelli Pzero Race 28c which has tread width of 30mm to use more side wall on the road, right?
Actually no. Pirelli Pzero Race 28c has 1mm narrower tread than GP5000 28c. But it only have casing width of GP5000 25c (which, GP5000 25c has 3mm narrower casing width than GP5000 28c). So the tread of Pirelli end up covering more part of the tire than GP5000 25c and 28c.
I know Vittoria Corsa Control and Schwalbe Pro One Addix also have wide center tread.

Try not to use Michelin, Zipp and Hutchinson as those have narrow tread width vs casing width. The older Pirelli also has narrower tread width. It's only getting wider on the latest generation.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Espresssso wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 pm
Hey all, some questions from a long time lurker.

I'm riding a Scott Addict RC Pro 2020, currently have 62mm deep Reynolds Strike (17i/25outer) that weigh 1710g. They roll fast but I wouldn't mind something lighter. Would prefer to keep them deep section but have been a bit troubled by crosswinds on my wheels (weight 69kg / 152lbs).

Mainly looking at something I can get my hands on quickly (means that WR are off the table) and I saw that LB have both AR55 pro and AR56 available for quick buy (with holes and carbon-ti x hubs). I know they have different wheel shapes (wide V vs. U shape) but not sure which is better for me.

My two questions are, 1) which one do you reckon handles better in crosswinds and 2) is more aero? I'm thinking pure road riding, 25 or 28c tyres, doesn't matter to me which one. And 3) any experience with the carbon-ti hubs? ;)

Thanks in advance!
Best performing one is the combo that match tire width to rim width appropriately.
A) Most Aero might be AR55 front + 25mm tires.
B) Most practical for everyday use comfort and cornering grip might be AR56 with 28mm tires.
C) Personally, I'd do
AR55 front with 25mm tire and
AR56 rear with 28mm tire.

I've been using Bitex and Novatec for a long time.
My latest set have Carbon-Ti hub.
What I found are:
1) Front hub have nothing to say about. It works. Very smoothly.
2) Rear hub centerlock lockring has to be external notch type. The internal notch may interfere with bearing preload adjuster.
3) Rear hub is louder than Novatec but not much.
4) When freewheeling rear wheel on the bike stand, it induce more crank rotation than Novatec hub. Since my set is pretty new I guess it's because they pack a little too much grease in the free hub making it a bit sticky. Not sure if I'll just keep riding until it settle in or should I manually reduce the amount of grease in there.
5) Not sure what cause this, my rear wheel AR56+Novatec hub+ Sapim CX-ray has some ping when it's new and I accelerate from stop. (Instant surge 0 to 30 km/h at about 700 watts). It disappeared once the wheel age in on that set.
But there is absolutely no sound on my WR65 + Carbon Ti hub + Sapim CX-Sprint drive side and CX-ray non-drive side. I don't know if it's better bracing angle or stiffer drive side spokes or anything else. But It's just not making ping noise that I used to hear on early day of the old set.

Defy

by Defy

emotive wrote:
Defy wrote:I am currently considering 3 wheels and would appreciate some input on which is best for my situation.

Given you tyre choice of 28mm you want the WR series so wheel width matches the tyre. A 28mm on the AR46 or the Farsports will be more succeptable to side winds than the Wider AR56. The wider again WR50 has less tyre overlap and will handle side winds even better.

I am also 79kg. Given that you are not a flyweight, there is little downside to going to the WR50 depth. I rode them for 18 months and have since moved over to WR65 depth. Unless it is 20kmh+ wind conditions I take the bike with WR65 wheels rather than the WR50.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered the AR56. It can get quite windy here sometimes, but on those days I can just throw on my PR-2 wheels if I do not feel comfortable on deep section wheels

aejt

by aejt

Hexsense wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:48 pm
It depend on the ratio of center tread width vs casing width of the tire too.
Conti GP5000 28c has casing width of 71mm and center tread width of 31mm.
You'd expect Pirelli Pzero Race 28c which has tread width of 30mm to use more side wall on the road, right?
Actually no. Pirelli Pzero Race 28c has 1mm narrower tread than GP5000 28c. But it only have casing width of GP5000 25c (which, GP5000 25c has 3mm narrower casing width than GP5000 28c). So the tread of Pirelli end up covering more part of the tire than GP5000 25c and 28c.
I know Vittoria Corsa Control and Schwalbe Pro One Addix also have wide center tread.

Try not to use Michelin, Zipp and Hutchinson as those have narrow tread width vs casing width. The older Pirelli also has narrower tread width. It's only getting wider on the latest generation.
Thanks, that's super informative!

I hadn't read about them before, but the Pirelli Pzero Race tyres look super interesting for someone who wants decent rr but also cares about puncture protection.

When reading around I found that you posted regarding the new Pirello PZero Race tires in another thread. Have you tried the 28s yet? If so, what width did they measure up to on your rims?

I'm considering the 30mm TLR version of them for my WR50s, if they add at least 2.5mm to both casing and tread width from the 28mm versions (like the 26->28 jump does) they should probably work quite well for i25 (32 external) rims, or what do you think? They only seem to state that they support up to i23 though, but that sounds slightly conservative doesn't it?
Last edited by aejt on Wed May 19, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pmprego

by pmprego

Does anyone have experience with the new AR465 wheels with that flow pattern?

One thing that I've noticed is that they refer that is much better than anything else in terms of aero excluding crosswinds from the equation for "a fair comparison". I read this as "if we include crosswinds then the results does NOT hold" and to my mind crosswinds do exist out in the real life so... removing crosswinds does not seem to make much sense.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com