Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
emotive

by emotive

morganb wrote:
jas0nt wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:03 pm
Between the AR55 and WR50, which would be more aerodynamic if I'm to use 28mm tyres? The AR55 is 5mm deeper but is narrower (21/28 compared to 25/32). Both are same weight.
I'm torn between these two also. If the internal width on the WR50 was a little narrower and I could run a 25 in the front it would be an easy choice. Our roads are terrible and 28s would be nice to ride but I want to use them for road racing also.
Are you concerned a 28+WR50 on the front will be an aero penalty or roll slower than a 25+AR56 during racing?

According to the Silca (Marginal Gains) podcast, the aero penalty of 2mm extra width will be about 1W. I think you get that small loss back elsewhere in less hysteresis.

Before we had readily available wide wheels there was an aero benefit to running 25mm tyres. The WR series changed that. I really only see downsides to running 25mm tyres with the modern wheel profiles available now.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

AR56+25mm will be faster in aero.
AR56+28mm is probably similarly as aero as WR50 with 28mm. But WR50 will definitely handle better in cross wind. So, if you want 28mm tire then just pick WR50.

While it is not as aero as AR56+25mm tire, WR50+28mm roll with less rolling resistance and have more traction in corners.
Unless you TT, count in the extra cornering traction to compensate for your aero loss. You know how much match you have to burn following wheels of someone who corner better than you and create a gap to close.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frnchy

by frnchy

Aryeh wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 pm
frnchy wrote:
morganb wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:29 pm
jas0nt wrote:
Between the AR55 and WR50, which would be more aerodynamic if I'm to use 28mm tyres? The AR55 is 5mm deeper but is narrower (21/28 compared to 25/32). Both are same weight.
I'm torn between these two also. If the internal width on the WR50 was a little narrower and I could run a 25 in the front it would be an easy choice. Our roads are terrible and 28s would be nice to ride but I want to use them for road racing also.
28 mm tires match the external width of the WR50 rims almost exactly, the tires are maybe 0.5-1 mm narrower, you wouldn't have any aerodynamic penalty at all if that's your concern. Of course, nothing can be done about frame clearance issues...
My 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TLE measure 30mm exactly on my WR50s. External width of the rims is 32mm.
Interesting - this spurred me on to mount all the tires I have on hand and see their mounted widths on my WR50's. The results are as follows:

Vittoria Corsa Control, 28 mm (with ~450 miles of wear): measured width = 31.12 mm

Continental GP5000, 28 mm (with ~1200 miles of wear): measured width = 30.44 mm

Vittoria Rubino, 30 mm (with ~700 miles of wear): measured width = 31.91 mm

Ritchey Alpine JB, 30 mm (with ~150 miles of wear): measured width = 31.68 mm

All tires measured at 55-60 PSI (my pump isn't so precise). So I guess the Vittorias are slightly plump, definitely more plump than your Schwalbes. I kind of like it, I might step up to 30 mm Corsa Controls once these 28 mm ones wear out.

morganb

by morganb

emotive wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:49 pm
morganb wrote:
jas0nt wrote:
Are you concerned a 28+WR50 on the front will be an aero penalty or roll slower than a 25+AR56 during racing?

According to the Silca (Marginal Gains) podcast, the aero penalty of 2mm extra width will be about 1W. I think you get that small loss back elsewhere in less hysteresis.

Before we had readily available wide wheels there was an aero benefit to running 25mm tyres. The WR series changed that. I really only see downsides to running 25mm tyres with the modern wheel profiles available now.
I'm primary concerned about aero above 60kph for bunch sprinting where its super low yaw conditions. I know rolling resistance is roughly the same but I prefer the reactivity of 25mm tires for racing. On the other hand I've never rode a 28mm tire on something that wide so the sidewall support may make the tire feel better.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

morganb wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:39 pm
I'm primary concerned about aero above 60kph for bunch sprinting where its super low yaw conditions. I know rolling resistance is roughly the same but I prefer the reactivity of 25mm tires for racing. On the other hand I've never rode a 28mm tire on something that wide so the sidewall support may make the tire feel better.
The difference will prob be small, but in that scenario, I'd def give the nod to the 56 with a 25mm tire. The faster you're going, the more aero matters. Mine should be here tomorrow, I plan to run a 25mm up front, I'm running 28s front/rear on my training wheels right now, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference during a sprint. Also went with the stiffer spoke setup in the rear.

Of course now I'm concerned about the DT240EXP engagement issues, hopefully mine is a newer hub, we'll see.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I recently ordered a set of Light Bicycle WR35 rims for my CX/Gravel bike. I'm going to lace them up to my White Industries CLD hubs (24F/28R). I haven't received the shipping notification, yet, but LB has already reached out to me to confirm my order and rim specifics (no decal).

emotive

by emotive

frnchy wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 am
Interesting - this spurred me on to mount all the tires I have on hand and see their mounted widths on my WR50's. The results are as follows:

Vittoria Corsa Control, 28 mm (with ~450 miles of wear): measured width = 31.12 mm

Continental GP5000, 28 mm (with ~1200 miles of wear): measured width = 30.44 mm

Vittoria Rubino, 30 mm (with ~700 miles of wear): measured width = 31.91 mm

Ritchey Alpine JB, 30 mm (with ~150 miles of wear): measured width = 31.68 mm

All tires measured at 55-60 PSI (my pump isn't so precise). So I guess the Vittorias are slightly plump, definitely more plump than your Schwalbes. I kind of like it, I might step up to 30 mm Corsa Controls once these 28 mm ones wear out.
Thanks for sharing the measurements.

I'm running Corsa Control 28 TLR on my WR65 at 30.9mm for 105% rule compliance.

I moved the WR50 over to the gravel bike. Remember when these were launched as gravel wheels?

I'm not looking to maximize aero on these, rather maximum versatility. I want to go as wide as possible and still have good handling of side winds. I fitted some Bon Jon Pass EL 35mm for light gravel and mixed terrain. They measured bigger than I wanted at 38.8mm. Handling was OK up to 20kmh, above that they caught too much side winds. So I fitted some Roubaix 32mm 2Bliss. They measure 34.9mm, and still handle 20kmh side winds well, but I can feel the pressure with 30kmh gusts. The side wind pressure is more than the WR65 with well matched 28mm tyres, but still manageable, so I think this is a good allroad setup.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

@emotive was there a noticeable difference between the 32mm tires and the 28mmm tires for side wind stability and comfort? I might do the same for my WR38 in the front. Its ok but I'd prefer it a bit more stable in side winds, but don't want to loose to much comfort either... :-(

emotive

by emotive

Cyclingintherain wrote:@emotive was there a noticeable difference between the 32mm tires and the 28mmm tires for side wind stability and comfort? I might do the same for my WR38 in the front. Its ok but I'd prefer it a bit more stable in side winds, but don't want to loose to much comfort either... :-(
I had the 28 Corsas mounted on the WR50s before I moved them to the WR65, and they are definitely more immune to side winds. I never felt it was too windy to ride that combo.

The 32’s are definitely more comfy. For your application maybe a 30mm tyre with a measured width around 32, or GP5000 or Pro One in a 32 with a measured width around 33 would be a good misddle ground?

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

My AR55 Pro ordered on 24/3 is now in CNC machining. Still can't wait... What's after this? Quality control and then shipping?

biwa

by biwa

Has anyone bought/used their tubular rims (rim brake version)? Looking for feedback/thought on them. Thanks.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

New wheel day!! They look absolutely fantastic. Lost the sun so I couldnt' get a good shot of the satin finish, but it looks great, I'll get more pics later.

Came in at 1455g on my scale. :thumbup:

28mm GP5K on the rear, 25mm on the front, both mounted up easily by hand, no levers (clinchers w/ Silca latex tubes). Rear measures just a hair under 30mm, front just a hair under 28mm, freshly mounted.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:45 pm
New wheel day!! They look absolutely fantastic. Lost the sun so I couldnt' get a good shot of the satin finish, but it looks great, I'll get more pics later.

Came in at 1455g on my scale. :thumbup:

28mm GP5K on the rear, 25mm on the front, both mounted up easily by hand, no levers (clinchers w/ Silca latex tubes). Rear measures just a hair under 30mm, front just a hair under 28mm, freshly mounted.

Which version/hubs?

uquality

by uquality

jlok wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:57 am
scatsob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:48 am
uquality wrote:Been waiting forever for my WR38, WR50 to be built... hopefully get them in a couple of week.

Anyone run the new width of Conti 5000 30C on the WR's? I'm curious how wide it is on the rim.
Or, I guess is anyone running Conti 5000 32C and have the width measurement?
Has your WR50 been stuck in “CNC Machining” for the last three weeks like mine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine has just gone to "Sanding" today from CNC. I think ours are in the same batch?
Patience. It took me 4 months from date of order. Parcel tracking says I'm going to get my wheels next week!

rides4beer

by rides4beer

MrRolandos wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:40 pm
Which version/hubs?
I was so excited I forgot to put that part! lol AR56 w/DT240EXP hubs, satin finish, no holes, pro decals.

I'll get some better shots tomorrow in the sun. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com