Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
AJS914

by AJS914

Farsports has three different Aliexpress stores plus their web site. I've noticed different rims up on the different sites. Here is there 45mm x 28mm wide:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 3fa5thGZI0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roger9

by Roger9

Thanks Skyboy. Found it eventually..

Must admit the farsportwheels.com, wheelsfar and farsports.cn websites are pretty bad and often conflicting, not to mention the Aliexpress links.

LB have a far better web site - simpler to use with easy access to all info.

skyboy

by skyboy

Roger9 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 am
Thanks Skyboy. Found it eventually..

Must admit the farsportwheels.com, wheelsfar and farsports.cn websites are pretty bad and often conflicting, not to mention the Aliexpress links.

LB have a far better web site - simpler to use with easy access to all info.
Agreed, but for whatever reason that is how many Chinese companies like to do business. The LB page is much more western friendly and makes more sense to me too.

Beaver

by Beaver

xxmayocxx wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Hi there, I remember reading here that it's possible to ask for rims that are lighter than stated. Is this the case and if so does anyone have any experience, do they seem more flimsy/flexy. I'm light enough myself at 63/64kg.
Also I cant help feeling the 23mm inner width (56mm deep) is a bit too wide for racing duties, has anyone found this? I intend on using 25mm corsas or gp400s
Thanks!
You can always ask them for a certain weight, in my case max. 1.300g for 36x28mm rims with Carbon TI hubs and CX-Ray - I got a 1.280g wheelset that doesn't feel different than my other wheels with these spokes and spoke count. Happy so far. ;)

For 25mm tires the 23mm inside/30mm outside are fine. Enrico is running these even with 23mm tires up front (best aerodynamics). ;)

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Carbon-ti or white industries disc hubs? Anyone have strong leanings and rationale therefore?

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:18 pm
Carbon-ti or white industries disc hubs? Anyone have strong leanings and rationale therefore?
I think it depends on your priorities. Carbon-ti has a great bracing angle, and a cool design overall, but are a little less tested in terms of reliability. Not to say the newest gen aren't reliable, just that they don't have the long track record that White Industries have. White also has a very respectable bracing angle (especially when compared to something like a DT), and are super solid in terms of reliability, in particular in regard to cassette wear as they have the Ti freehub body which resists notching beautifully. I'd suggest you check out the Fairwheel Bikes hub shootout for a far more in depth comparision.

sirsondre

by sirsondre

My order status has finally moved to "CNC Machining". I ordered on wednesday the 8th of May, and in an e-mail prior to this they said production would take 12 days. They didn't specify wether this was 12 days og 12 working days. What is everyones elses experience on this? If it's 12 days they should have been finished today, if it's 12 working days they should finish on friday.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

It's cca 1 month from ordering to delivery. Keeping an eye on that process seems to be like watchin water to boil. For me delivery took a while as well...

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

TheKaiser wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:04 am
I think it depends on your priorities. Carbon-ti has a great bracing angle, and a cool design overall, but are a little less tested in terms of reliability. Not to say the newest gen aren't reliable, just that they don't have the long track record that White Industries have. White also has a very respectable bracing angle (especially when compared to something like a DT), and are super solid in terms of reliability, in particular in regard to cassette wear as they have the Ti freehub body which resists notching beautifully. I'd suggest you check out the Fairwheel Bikes hub shootout for a far more in depth comparision.
I’m specifically looking for disc hub with xdr freehub body. Does that change anything in your reply?

Thanks!

Beaver

by Beaver

Beaver wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 am
For 25mm tires the 23mm inside/30mm outside are fine. Enrico is running these even with 23mm tires up front (best aerodynamics). ;)
Regarding this HED graph I may have to correct myself here: The 105% rule is actually a 105 to 110% rule, so on a 30mm wide rim, a tire should be at least 27,3mm wide (and ideally up to 28,6mm) or the airstream won't stay attached to the rim.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/05/15/hed-va ... ad-wheels/

Why the 28mm tire is better on the higher rim, I can't comprehend. :noidea:

But it's all not noticable on the road anyway. :mrgreen:
Carbon-TI got better, they are "inconspicuous" now. But they also have 56 points of engagement now and are really loud...

Jugi

by Jugi

I can’t even comprehend how come there is such a big difference between 40mm and 60mm rim depths.

Even if wind angles higher than 12° aren’t common real world riding conditions, there is about 60 g of difference in drag at 15°. I mean both wheels starting with about 140 g at 0° and the 60mm ends up almost 50% more efficient when angle increases enough? Seriously? Hambini’s transient test method, be it better or worse, seems like a good measuring stick again. If there is such a large difference between wheels of different depths at dramatic wind angles, there must a clear difference in handling in gusty conditions as well.

dcorn

by dcorn

sirsondre wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:12 am
My order status has finally moved to "CNC Machining". I ordered on wednesday the 8th of May, and in an e-mail prior to this they said production would take 12 days. They didn't specify wether this was 12 days og 12 working days. What is everyones elses experience on this? If it's 12 days they should have been finished today, if it's 12 working days they should finish on friday.
I ordered April 23, my wheels were 'finished' late last week and the status just changed to 'shipped' today, but I don't have a tracking number yet. So you have a ways to go.

deathbystereo

by deathbystereo

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any issues removing tires from the rims? I had some Reynolds Attack wheels and the things were the worst, there was no one that could get the tires away from the side walls.

emotive

by emotive

deathbystereo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:58 am
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any issues removing tires from the rims? I had some Reynolds Attack wheels and the things were the worst, there was no one that could get the tires away from the side walls.
I've used Conti GP4K, S-Works Turbo, Compass, and Panaracer. Some tyre brands are tighter than others, but no tighter than my HED or Roval wheels were.

Ivan

by Ivan

I ordered April 23, my wheels were 'finished' late last week and the status just changed to 'shipped' today, but I don't have a tracking number yet. So you have a ways to go.
To give you an idea:
I ordered two rims on 21/03
They were shipped (recieved tracking number) on 13/04
Got a letter from customs on 29/04
I replied to this letter on 02/05
They arrived at my door on 14/05

So basically 2 months.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓