Light Bicycle wheel rims?

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:27 am
Do you still have that box? Possible to take a measurement? I've ordered mine to the US, and will be carrying it back to India on a flight.
It's 18x67x83cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

ericoschmitt wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:45 pm
deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:27 am
Do you still have that box? Possible to take a measurement? I've ordered mine to the US, and will be carrying it back to India on a flight.
It's 18x67x83cm.
Thanks. Thats 4" above limit, but being a frequent flyer with the airline should help. I hope.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Thanks. Thats 4" above limit, but being a frequent flyer with the airline should help. I hope.
Why not ship directly to India? For myself in Brazil, the taxes I paid over their declared $220 value were about the same as I'd have to pay to the airline company for over size if I was bringing it from abroad. PLus I don't have to carry an extra bulky package with me.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Beaver wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 am

Ok, with bike and gear that would be close to 80kg for me - at the moment I run 21mm internal width with 25mm 4000S II and 58psi front/65psi rear. 23mm tires with that pressure wouldn't be possible even with 23mm internal width. And a higher pressure makes me slower as there are a lot of roads with rough tarmac here.

https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/part-4b- ... -impedance
I only recently got a PM and haven't tested what the best pressure for me is, but I have a feeling there's not much difference going from 60 to 80. 80 feels a bit faster with decent asphalt, but I'm pretty sure 90+ is past the break point and I'm getting slower.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

ericoschmitt wrote:
deepakvrao wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Why not ship directly to India? For myself in Brazil, the taxes I paid over their declared $220 value were about the same as I'd have to pay to the airline company for over size if I was bringing it from abroad. PLus I don't have to carry an extra bulky package with me.
I had not realised that they would put a lower figure. Indian customs duty is over 50 percent and they delay sometimes by over a month. Also shipping to India was also 50 dollars more than to the US. Dunno why.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am

Indian customs duty is over 50 percent and they delay sometimes by over a month.
Still lower than here (60 to 92%) but that would cost you about $160 extra then. Depending on the airline company they may charge you from 100 to 200 I think, about the same.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

ericoschmitt wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 am
deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 am

Indian customs duty is over 50 percent and they delay sometimes by over a month.
Still lower than here (60 to 92%) but that would cost you about $160 extra then. Depending on the airline company they may charge you from 100 to 200 I think, about the same.
Never realised that any country screwed its citizens more than India. Anyway, I have a privilege status with the airline. They will not charge me.

I hope :D

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

Anyone mounted GP 5000 Tubelless on the 56 mm rims? Easy? Seating them? Easy or tough? Am undecided between the Schwalbe Pro Ones 25m and the GP5000 25mm. The Schwalbes have been hell to mount and seat on my alloy rims.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Anyone mounted GP 5000 Tubelless on the 56 mm rims? Easy? Seating them? Easy or tough? Am undecided between the Schwalbe Pro Ones 25m and the GP5000 25mm. The Schwalbes have been hell to mount and seat on my alloy rims.
Go with 5k, save those watts :)

Beaver

by Beaver

ericoschmitt wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:48 pm
deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Go with 5k, save those watts :)
Both LightWeight and SwissSide measured the 5k to be less aerodynamic than the 4k S II though. ;) Maybe the 5k S will have a profile again. ;)

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Beaver wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Both LightWeight and SwissSide measured the 5k to be less aerodynamic than the 4k S II though. ;) Maybe the 5k S will have a profile again. ;)

It depends on who you take more seriously. Thats static state and laminar flow, while Hambini claims that on the real world wind behaves very differently and tire thread pattern makes little to no difference. Maybe 1 or 2 watts above 40kph.

I tend to believe his claims, so much I bought these LB 56 and I'm satisfied.

Also even if theres a 2w difference in aero above 40kph, the rolling resistance difference would be over 10w at that speed.

pkaro

by pkaro

Dear All,
I am back and forth between the 56mm and the 46mm wheels. I am building up a Canyon Aeroad with rim brakes (R8050 ultegra di2), and was wondering if the clearance between the brake pads is great enough to fit the 30mm wide 56mm wheels, if I would need to sand down the brake pads, or if it is simply not practical and I should settle for the 46mm. I assume the frame clearance would be sufficient for 30mm wide rims, am I correct in this assumption?

In either case I would probably run the 25mm GP 5k.

Thanks for your advice.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

pkaro wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm
Dear All,
I am back and forth between the 56mm and the 46mm wheels. I am building up a Canyon Aeroad with rim brakes (R8050 ultegra di2), and was wondering if the clearance between the brake pads is great enough to fit the 30mm wide 56mm wheels, if I would need to sand down the brake pads, or if it is simply not practical and I should settle for the 46mm. I assume the frame clearance would be sufficient for 30mm wide rims, am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks for your advice.
I have Ultegra r8000 brakes, and was a little concerned about fitting the 56x30 rims. Some people say they can handle it, but I didn't want to push the limit, so I went with the 46x28. Have no problems fitting them with full size pads. I can't speak to frame clearance on that bike, but 25mm GP5Ks will measure out a little over 28mm on the 46's after they stretch.

bilwit

by bilwit

pkaro wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm
Dear All,

Thanks for your advice.
rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm
I have Ultegra r8000 brakes, and was a little concerned about fitting the 56x30 rims. Some people say they can handle it, but I didn't want to push the limit, so I went with the 46x28. Have no problems fitting them with full size pads. I can't speak to frame clearance on that bike, but 25mm GP5Ks will measure out a little over 28mm on the 46's after they stretch.
With direct mount calipers there's not really an inherent width limitation with the caliper itself. What does limit clearance is the frame design and how far the caliper can open before the brake shoes hit the stays/fork, so this is a better question for Canyon or fellow Aeroad users.

Quick Tip: You can buy yourself maybe two or three mm's worth of clearance by using Swisstop Flash EVO pads and a low profile brake shoe like the EE Cycleworks ones.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I ordered a set of non-stock rim wheels on 2/23. They were finished yesterday (3/20) according to their tracking. What can I figure for over/under for US delivery time? (CN inland to overseas to US Customs to local delivery?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com