Cheap, Light Disc Brake Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

Tubs are definitely lighter. But if you have no experience riding and gluing tubs, then I'd advise against them. Don't get too caugt up on the numbers on a scale, if you're not prepared to do the extra work and pay the extra $$ for new tubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JapanStan

by JapanStan

Multebear wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 pm
Tubs are definitely lighter. But if you have no experience riding and gluing tubs, then I'd advise against them. Don't get too caugt up on the numbers on a scale, if you're not prepared to do the extra work and pay the extra $$ for new tubs.
Yeah I read a bit and thought they sounded a lot of hassle.. And not being able to easily fix a picture in the mountains would be a huge problem if I'm by myself.
Looking at faraports 30mmx 23 or 25 wide clinchers with 240s or extralite hubs

joejack951

by joejack951

Multebear wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 pm
Tubs are definitely lighter. But if you have no experience riding and gluing tubs, then I'd advise against them.
Every tubular user started with zero experience :)

JapanStan

by JapanStan

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:58 pm

🤣🤣🤣

Multebear

by Multebear

joejack951 wrote:
Well, it's not black or white. I have some friends who helped me out and schooled me on how to glue them and which components to choose and so on. If you have to deal with this alone, there will be a lot of trial and error, and a lot of watching youtube videoes, asking questions in the tubular gluing topic.... Clinchers are pretty easy. And if you don't ride with latex tubes, it's difficult to do it wrong.

JapanStan

by JapanStan

Multebear wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:07 pm
joejack951 wrote:
Well, it's not black or white. I have some friends who helped me out and schooled me on how to glue them and which components to choose and so on. If you have to deal with this alone, there will be a lot of trial and error, and a lot of watching youtube videoes, asking questions in the tubular gluing topic.... Clinchers are pretty easy. And if you don't ride with latex tubes, it's difficult to do it wrong.
At the end of the day I can't afford to buy new tires for a puncture or messed up gluing.. Pity, but if I had a team behind me..! 🤣

joejack951

by joejack951

Multebear wrote:
joejack951 wrote:
Perhaps I'm just looking at things with more optimism than you as my tubular experience has gone quite smoothly after just a bit of online reading. There was no trial and error, just following some simple instructions and taking my time. The only choices that needed to be made were tape vs. glue and tire type. With clinchers you need to make a tire decision, too, so it is really tape vs. glue which comes to down user preference. I bought tape but ended up using glue as I wanted the true tubular experience ;)

JapanStan

by JapanStan

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:01 pm
Multebear wrote:
joejack951 wrote:
Perhaps I'm just looking at things with more optimism than you as my tubular experience has gone quite smoothly after just a bit of online reading. There was no trial and error, just following some simple instructions and taking my time. The only choices that needed to be made were tape vs. glue and tire type. With clinchers you need to make a tire decision, too, so it is really tape vs. glue which comes to down user preference. I bought tape but ended up using glue as I wanted the true tubular experience ;)
How many kms have you some on them? No punctures?

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Multebear wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Or these ones from Light-Bicycle:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Carbon-700 ... rface.html
I built a pair of 24/28 spoke disc wheels with those rims a couple of months ago, using DT Swiss 240s 28h rear hub, Hope RS4 straight pull 24h front hub, Sapim CX-Ray spokes and DT Squorx nipples. Total component cost was about $AU960 (~$US700) and the completed wheelset weighed 1430g.

No great distance on them yet, so can't comment on long term reliability, but they've stayed perfectly true so far, and zero other problems with them.

joejack951

by joejack951

JapanStan wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 pm
How many kms have you some on them? No punctures?
~800 kms, no punctures. Vittoria Corsa G+, 25mm if I haven't already mentioned it.

I've been running a lot lately which has severely cut into my cycling time. Hoping that my work schedule goes back to normal and that I can get back to midday rides through the summer.

joejack951

by joejack951

Laced up my front Farsports 25x23mm tubular rim to Bitex centerlock disc hub today using 24 Sapim CX-Ray spokes and aluminum nipples. 509 grams on my scale. Rear should be ~130 grams heavier based on the hub weights. Not bad for a ~$600 disc wheelset.

JapanStan

by JapanStan

joejack951 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:14 am
Laced up my front Farsports 25x23mm tubular rim to Bitex centerlock disc hub today using 24 Sapim CX-Ray spokes and aluminum nipples. 509 grams on my scale. Rear should be ~130 grams heavier based on the hub weights. Not bad for a ~$600 disc wheelset.
Yeah not bad at all! Those bitex hubs must be super light!

joejack951

by joejack951

JapanStan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 am
Not really. There are several lighter options, but all costing far more. Extralite hubs could have saved me 130 grams on the wheelset, but for an extra $400, and I'd lose the centerlock option.

JapanStan

by JapanStan

joejack951 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:43 am
JapanStan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:19 am
Not really. There are several lighter options, but all costing far more. Extralite hubs could have saved me 130 grams on the wheelset, but for an extra $400, and I'd lose the centerlock option.
Hm.. I was looking at 25mm wide and deep with dt240s.. A pricier option but I trust them. Maybe I should go cheaper hubs, so I can afford them sooner!

joejack951

by joejack951

JapanStan wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 am
Hm.. I was looking at 25mm wide and deep with dt240s.. A pricier option but I trust them. Maybe I should go cheaper hubs, so I can afford them sooner!
Certainly nothing wrong with DT240s but for less than the price of a front DT240s hub, I got a custom finished (white powder coat) pair of Bitex hubs (total cost = $176 shipped). The DT hubs have stainless bearings but weight-wise they are roughly the same as Bitex BX106F/R hubs (slightly heavier claimed for the pair at 126g front and 258g rear for centerlock j-spoke hubs vs. my actual Bitex weights of 133g front and 247 grams rear). Anodized Bitex hubs should be slightly lighter still.

If I was spending $400+ more on hubs I'd go Extralite and at least save some considerable weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com