Which pads? Bora one 50 with EE brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r33prman

by r33prman

Calling on the groups expertise to save me doing all the testing myself. What have people found to be the best pads for this combo or just for the boras in general. Currently using campy pads but they don’t seem to last very long.

Wheels are clinchers and ac3 braking if that makes a difference.

Brakes are 2nd gen (yellow washers) EE’s.

Thanks

DT

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Campy pads are the best, period.

r33prman

by r33prman

Boom. Guess that answers that!

Thanks Ryan

DT

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Second that boom. But just to be clear, you are using the red Campy pads for carbon, right?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Fwiw my first red front set lasted 3000Km of which almost half were in the hills including a lot of brake dragging on narrow/bad road 10% descents. The rears show little wear. They don't seem to thin much faster than regular pads on alu wheels. For me it seems 3k is a good number for Campy maintenance, change the chain (even if it still works fine) and the front pads :)

r33prman

by r33prman

Calnago wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:25 pm
Second that boom. But just to be clear, you are using the red Campy pads for carbon, right?
Yep the red carbon ones. I’ve come to these from zips with cork pads which seemed to last forever. No big deal. If braking is good I can deal with pads. I’ll just make sure I have a spare set on hand.

Cheers

DT

r33prman

by r33prman

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 am
Fwiw my first red front set lasted 3000Km of which almost half were in the hills including a lot of brake dragging on narrow/bad road 10% descents. The rears show little wear. They don't seem to thin much faster than regular pads on alu wheels. For me it seems 3k is a good number for Campy maintenance, change the chain (even if it still works fine) and the front pads :)
Yeah I don’t know about that. I do 15k Kim’s a year and I reckon $100 quarterly on pads and a chain is a bit rich.

But chain wise I’m on kmc and it dipped in molten speed wax and it’s been brilliant mileage wise.

Cheers.

DT

RyanH

by RyanH

Don't get Enve with textured brake tracks then. My pads were only lasting 500 miles.

audiojan

by audiojan

I've been using the 2017 Bora 35's with Reynold Cryo Power Blue pads and they work really well.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

robertbb

by robertbb

audiojan wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:11 pm
I've been using the 2017 Bora 35's with Reynold Cryo Power Blue pads and they work really well.
That's the 3Diamant, or the AC3 surface?

How do the pads compare with the Campy red pads? And do you think they'll wear the brake track faster than the Campy reds?

(From a review I found online:

We also reached out to Reynolds to get their thoughts on using the Cryo Blue pads with other brands wheels – “Reynolds doesn’t recommend using our pads with other brands unless said brand approves the use of the pad.” They are not saying the pads wouldn’t work, just that there pads were developed specifically for their carbon braking surface and you would want to check with your wheel company to see if this would cause any issues.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

3Diamant. I would actually say that the Reynolds pads wears better than the Campy Red pads (which I had on for over 1000 miles), plus they to have better modulation and stopping power. Campy Red are great pads, don't get me wrong, but I do like the Reynolds Cryo Power Blue even more.

As to Reynolds statement, no surprise there... if you read pretty much every single wheel manufacturers statements, they state that you have to use their pads or all hell will break lose (slight exaduration and paraphrasing...).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin