404 NSW vs ENVE 4.5 SES vs BORA 50s?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

calleking wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:55 pm
You mean that the flexyness would be solved with Chris King hubs?
Chris King hubs are really robust, sound amazing, but heavy, and engage slower compared to the Enve/ DT Swiss 180 hubs.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I would choose White Ind... b4 CK personally.

I have extralite Cyberhubs straight pull on my 4.5 and enve carbon on my 7.8 and 2.2. The enve hubs do flex a little but its not been an issue. My 2.2 tubs have extralite cyber again by Jpull.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have ENVE SES 5.6 Discs. I have had to return one for porosity near the edge of the rim, I also had a front rim wrinkle slightly after a crash. ENVE support has been quite pleasant to deal with and they have that 5-year warranty.

My Zipp 202 NSW Discs have been great. The rim just feels less susceptible to wear/tear from mileage. I agree that the Cognition freehub sounds pretty awful when spinning it up in a stand, but under weight and during a ride it is actually quite quiet.

Then ENVE SES 4.5 rim-brake clinchers are probably going to be updated this summer. Eurobike is just around the corner after having been bumped up to July.

sawyer

by sawyer

Go Bora

If you're on Shimano/SRAM have a look at the Fulcrum 55s
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nycebo

by nycebo

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:07 pm
He told me the Enve's flexed a lot and were terrible in cross winds.
Cant speak to the crosswind evaluation, but I think your buddy hs it backwards. It is because the ENVE are so stiff that he observed rubbing on the breaktrack. What's happening is that the whole wheel is pivoting along the axle under power (diagonally along the diameter of the wheel). With other wheels, they flex more and thus allow the wheel in between the brake pads to stay more vertical even though the bottom half of the wheel flexes off axis under power. There is a good video on this if you Google it. Else I can find the link for you later on.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

most deep section wheels have some issues with crosswinds... I can only compare Enve vs Zipp.. I'll take Enve everytime.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault