What is this? Zipp 404 NSW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

This came with the Zipp 404 NSW wheelset. What is this for??
Attachments
9DF9F4D3-583E-4904-BD3A-FF90A7C53D96.jpeg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A 1.8mm spacer to fit 10spd Shimano cassettes on 11spd freehubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Some Shimano road 11-Speed cassettes will need it as well, such as the Ultegra 11-34. 11-32 might need it too but I’m not 100% certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

? Why do Shimano Road cassettes need it, particularly the 11/34? Wouldn’t that push the casette too far outboard on the freehub? I’ve just never heard of an 11sp Shimano cassette needing the 10sp spacer for anything.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 11-Speed 11-34 has the largest cog ‘domed’ over towards the spokes. The cassette can fit on either a 10-Speed or 11-speed hub (with the spacer). The Shimano XT 11-40 11-speed cassette on my tandem is the same way.

So in theory Shimano could make a 13-Speed 11-34 cassette if they decrease the cog spacing a bit. With ‘doming’ over the 34 cog they could already make a 12-Speed cassette using the current cog spacing. I’m not sure if a 32 cog can be domed over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTPWhor

by FTPWhor

Thanks all!! I am new to all this. Having an LBS build me a Colnago C64 in BFBL. Super excited!!!
@Calnago- any important instructions that I should be giving the LBS as far as the build is concerned?? Never had bike build before.

F45

by F45

The HG700 is a non-series 11 speed cassette made specifically for 10sp compatibility.

All series 11 speed cassettes will not use the spacer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

pdlpsher1 wrote:The 11-Speed 11-34 has the largest cog ‘domed’ over towards the spokes. The cassette can fit on either a 10-Speed or 11-speed hub (with the spacer). The Shimano XT 11-40 11-speed cassette on my tandem is the same way.
Thanks, I did not know that. Had to think a bit about how that could be the case but I get it now. I’ve installed one to do some playing around with it on the stand etc. but that’s it. Didn’t use the spacer so I was lucky that it wasn’t a “for real” install I guess and not necessary for what I was testing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

FTPWhor wrote:Thanks all!! I am new to all this. Having an LBS build me a Colnago C64 in BFBL. Super excited!!!
@Calnago- any important instructions that I should be giving the LBS as far as the build is concerned?? Never had bike build before.
Not really. Should be pretty straightforward. I trust they’ve built Colnagos before. If not, it’s always good idea to just go through the little manual they give you to familiarize themselves with it. Have to admit, had I not learned about the spacer requirement for the monster cassette above, I could have seen myself installing one without the spacer. Normally when working on something I haven’t done before I read everything that comes with it first. But a cassette?.... who knew.

Anyway, you’re a lucky guy. I’m very impressed by the frame after looking at it as closely as I did.

wingguy

by wingguy

F45 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:24 am
The HG700 is a non-series 11 speed cassette made specifically for 10sp compatibility.
And HG800. Both 11-34.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 am
Have to admit, had I not learned about the spacer requirement for the monster cassette above, I could have seen myself installing one without the spacer. Normally when working on something I haven’t done before I read everything that comes with it first. But a cassette?.... who knew.
I'm fairly certain the cassettes come with the spacer in the box, which should be a pretty hefty clue :wink:

And if you didn't fit it, can you actually tighten a 10sp wide cassette onto a 11sp body enough to take out all the play between the cogs? I thought you'd bottom out the lockring first?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, what do you say to some kid who’s replacing his 10sp cassette just cuz the old one is worn out. Should he use the spacer just because it’s there?

The thing is, I wasn’t installing it to ride, rather just to test something for which I needed that specific cassette (11sp;11/34). So I didn’t even attempt to torque it down fully. But if I remember correctly I didn’t notice any excessive play, so who knows, I may have even installed the spacer, (cuz like you say, it was there). And if I looked at the instructions, like I normally do... I’m sure I would have seen that. Truth is, I just can’t remember if I put it on or not now and did wonder exactly that... if it wasn’t there, it would seem unlikely I could even get it snug enough before bottoming out the lock ring. Unless maybe the back of the cassette was bottoming out on the spoke flange, which of course would have been caught soon enough before the build was even finished if it was for real. I suspect I did in fact install it with the spacer at the time, and just tightened it enough to do my experiment.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Q) What do I tell a kid who just wants to replace a 10spd cassette with a new 10spd cassette?
A) I’m pretty sure the cassettes come with instructions in the box, but I would tell him to check his freehub for an existing spacer and leave it there. Either way all he has to do is slide on the new cassette and throw the new spacer in a bin of misc trinkets.

If the kid buys an 11spd cassette to replace a 10spd cassette, I tell him he dun goofed.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:57 pm
Well, what do you say to some kid who’s replacing his 10sp cassette just cuz the old one is worn out. Should he use the spacer just because it’s there?
Well, since I thought we were talking about the HG800 I'd say "Hey kid, why are you putting an 11s cassette on a 10s groupset?" :noidea:

But maybe we're talking about a different cassette now, in which case if his original cassette worked properly I'd say to that kid, "Hey kid, pay attention to how it comes off, and put it back on the same way." If his original cassette didn't work properly I'd say "Hey kid, RTFM."

Or you meant to say he's replacing his existing 11sp cassette, in which case I'd say what I just said "Why do you think it comes with a spacer that no other 11sp cassettes do - don't you think that's a pretty hefty clue?" (Hey look, full circle! :D )
I suspect I did in fact install it with the spacer at the time, and just tightened it enough to do my experiment.
Sounds the most likely thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Think I was pretty clear. Kid comes in to replace his old 10sp cassette. Safe bet it’s on a 10sp hub, right. And I’m giving him the benefit of a doubt that he knows it’s a 10sp cassette so that’s what he buys. But now, in the box, he finds this spacer. Hmmm... don’t remember any spacer before he thinks. I’ll ask Wingguy about it cuz he’s my pal and always steers me right without talking in circles. And Wingguy says “well, the first clue should be that there’s a spacer in the box...” and leaves the kid to walk away to a better bike shop where he may have received a less condescending answer such as “Oh yes, you won’t need that spacer since you’re just replacing it on your 10sp hub. That spacer is now included with 10sp cassette in case you are installing it on an 11sp hub”. Kid walks away happy.

Point being, the spacer is included with 10sp cassettes since 11sp was introduced. Whether you use it or not depends on whether you’re installing it on a 10sp hub or an 11sp hub.

Check out Mavics assortment of various spacers if you really want the full meal deal.