What is this? Zipp 404 NSW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Again, the simple answer is to tell him to just remove the old cassette and leave the spacer behind the largest cog (if there is one) in place. There isn't as much complexity to this as you think. He doesn't need to use the spacer in the box in any of these scenarios because there is no variability in width between different Shimano 10spd road cassettes. Whether his existing freehub is 10spd or 11spd is immaterial.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 am
Think I was pretty clear. Kid comes in to replace his old 10sp cassette. Safe bet it’s on a 10sp hub, right. And I’m giving him the benefit of a doubt that he knows it’s a 10sp cassette so that’s what he buys.
Ah, Ok. But why are we talking about that? The fact that the HG800 cassette comes with a spacer is a clue because 11sp cassette don't otherwise come with a spacer. Therefore my response was tailored to the specific item we were discussing. It wasn't advice on how to fit a 10sp cassette, or a 9sp cassette, or a crankset, or a handlebar, or any other totally different item of cycling componentry. It was a comment on one specific thing.
But now, in the box, he finds this spacer. Hmmm... don’t remember any spacer before he thinks. I’ll ask Wingguy about it cuz he’s my pal and always steers me right without talking in circles. And Wingguy says “well, the first clue should be that there’s a spacer in the box...” and leaves the kid to walk away to a better bike shop where he may have received a less condescending answer
Well, now you're just being deliberately disingenuous for the sake of justifying a douchey answer. Why you gotta be that way? :noidea:

I quite clearly gave a different answer to what I would say to someone replacing a 10sp with another 10sp, and you are more than smart enough to know that. If you can't be honest though, this conversation isn't going to go anywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Shimano 11s cassettes up to and including 11-32 require the 11s freehub, which is 1.8mm longer than the 10s freehub. All their 11s cassettes with a big cog 34t or larger will fit on 8/9/10s freehubs, and require a spacer behind the cassette on an 11s freehub, or the lockring will bottom out before it tightens on the cassette. Ditto for the Shimano-compatible Sunrace 11s cassettes, which all have a large cog of 40t or bigger.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Seriously Wingguy, you still just can’t help yourself. Oh well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Fiery

by Fiery

Calnago wrote:Think I was pretty clear. Kid comes in to replace his old 10sp cassette. Safe bet it’s on a 10sp hub, right. And I’m giving him the benefit of a doubt that he knows it’s a 10sp cassette so that’s what he buys. But now, in the box, he finds this spacer. Hmmm... don’t remember any spacer before he thinks. I’ll ask Wingguy about it cuz he’s my pal and always steers me right without talking in circles. And Wingguy says “well, the first clue should be that there’s a spacer in the box...” and leaves the kid to walk away to a better bike shop where he may have received a less condescending answer such as “Oh yes, you won’t need that spacer since you’re just replacing it on your 10sp hub. That spacer is now included with 10sp cassette in case you are installing it on an 11sp hub”. Kid walks away happy.

Point being, the spacer is included with 10sp cassettes since 11sp was introduced. Whether you use it or not depends on whether you’re installing it on a 10sp hub or an 11sp hub
Actually, a spacer has been included with Shimano 10 speed cassettes since they were first introduced - they are 1 mm narrower than 9 speed cassettes and you need a spacer to fit them on a 9/10 speed hub. For 11 speed hubs, you use two spacers.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:55 pm
Seriously Wingguy, you still just can’t help yourself. Oh well.
Yep, I can't help pointing out that you're deliberately misrepresenting what I said just so you can have an argument and throw around insults.

Maybe you should have a think about why you can't help doing that in the first place? You evidently don't disagree with what I actually said, so why bother inventing a reason to disagree? Just chill out for a minute, come back with a clear head and you'd probably find out we're on the same page.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Wingguy, he does it to me too. Don't bother. He made a silly statement without thinking and now feels compelled to defend it by implying that we're the ones being disingenuous.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

FFS enough.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk