Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL Tubular Haute Route Rear Wheel Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TGMVC

by TGMVC

Hi Folks, Looking for a bit of help here, I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL Tubular Haute Route wheels and while the front is silky smooth, the rear has been giving me issues. Spinning the wheel while it is off the ground it will rotate for about 12 seconds then stops, you can actually see it slowing down, this is telling me that there is a lot of friction somewhere but the wheel has gone back to Mavic to be rebuilt with no change. (the build has just been returned to me, does it take long to bed in the bearings).
This is a "top of the range wheel" but it is giving less then satisfactory riding, I have cheap wheels that I use on the turbo that roll much better using the same simple test, rotation the wheel while off the ground.

I'd appreciate any advise that you guys have.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I assume you are doing the spin test without a chain? Otherwise your also measuring the drag of the ratchet mechanism.

I do notice that there is more bearing seal drag on the rear hub of new Mavics then most wheels. And like you, I find the front is very free spinning. The question is how much energy the seal drag consumes. Although it feels significant when you spin the axel in your fingers or spin a wheel on the stand, the reality is that when actually ride the bike the impact is almost nil.

It's nice to have bearings that spin freely regardless of the part, however don't overlook the upside that that rear hub is well protected from the elements.

If you are really concerned, I am sure it is possible to source the correct size bearing with a lighter seal.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TGMVC

by TGMVC

So I have taken measurements on the bike on the workstand so includes all the other drive components, but I ran this across three wheels to get my conclusion.
Also spinning by hand off the bike gives the same result, with and without the free hub engaged.

The friction in the hub set up is so much that when on the bike it will spin the crankset once you let go the peddles....
this is the mavic wheel
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0fczjfypy9od ... 7.mp4?dl=0

This is a shamino R5 that I pulled off the TT bike that was on the turbo trainer (this is a cheap wheel near the end of its life)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/idf7rmglvrux8 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

The friction in the Mavic hub multiplied over a 150km race would turn out to be significent power consumption, While I don't doubt that while peddling the impact might be nil the problem is that in order to maintain momentum on downhill, flat tail wind section you would have to peddle to over come that friction

zefs

by zefs

I've noticed that the more you tighten the cassette the more resistance there is (at least when rolling the wheel by hand) but not sure if it can have such a big impact. Nevertheless might worth having a look.

TGMVC

by TGMVC

zefs wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:52 pm
I've noticed that the more you tighten the cassette the more resistance there is (at least when rolling the wheel by hand) but not sure if it can have such a big impact. Nevertheless might worth having a look.
Thanks, I'll try that

TGMVC

by TGMVC

Mavic have come back to me to say that it can take a few hundred km for the bearings to bed in and the system to loosen up so it is time to enjoy the sunshine and get the km's in to see if that is the issue

TGMVC

by TGMVC

So After riding these wheels for a considerable time as instructed by Mavic there is no improvement. I'm now waiting 10 days on a response from Customer Care....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

the spin test is not a test. you are going to be returning wheels for no good reason. the energy consumed if it were measured is low.

mavic response is a good one. Ride them and I am sure it won't be an issue just check that Mavic will address problems later if the hub does not free up.

zefs

by zefs

Could be this washer causing the issue:
https://youtu.be/ttOAI5QbT_c?t=193

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It could be that do it might sort it self out. Grease on the seal might also help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com