All round carbon wheels - Cosmic Pro SL UST or new Firecrest 303

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

r3m

by r3m

Tubless option is a really good point for the mavic wheels !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmr40

by rmr40

My heart says zipp although Investing £1800 into non-tubeless 17mm Rims is troubling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I owned the 2016 version of the Zipp 303's and the current Cosmic Carbon SL UST's. The Mavic's are stiffer, more responsive, and super comfortable due to running tubeless. The Zipps, even though a bit taller, are slightly better in cross winds. I believe this is due to the super wide aero spokes on the Cosmics. The Zipp's are great wheels but I would choose the Mavic's in a heartbeat.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Phill P

by Phill P

Nobody has mentioned hubs - Mavic hubs are probably the worse of the big brands. Zipp hubs are better now and at least don't use a plastic bush and have nice stiff axles.
The new Zipps are only 17mm internal? That is going to be less efficient from a rolling resistance point of view over a 19mm internal rim.

I vote dump both of them and get custom built wheels. Carbon ti hubs $450, set of ENVE rims $1950, plus spokes the build and QRs should come in less than $3k. If you have a the budget that is the way I'd go (even though we sell complete carbon wheels for less than $1k, but that is for a different customer profile/budget)
Technical Director at www.TUFFcycle.com

rmr40

by rmr40

JamesCB wrote:I’ve spent a week with a boxed set of the new Zipp Firecrest 303 (weighed in at 1550grm with rim tape) wondering whether or not to get the Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST instead and go tubeless. Lots of good reviews of the Cosmics but the 303s are as yet untested in the usual media. Does anyone have any experience of the 2 they can share?

What did you decide in the end?

I’m leaning towards the Zipps..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

I would get the mavics on the account fo the zipp hubs being quite poor.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Beaver

by Beaver

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-52335/

They say new one with 20.5mm inside, 28mm outside and 1,539g with skewers and rimtape... Too good to be true (would be as light as 303 NSW)?!