Advice to fix lateral rim movement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Does the alignment of bladed spokes where it form large I beam against the rotational direction but leave thin side profile change the stiffness of the spoke compare to spoke with same amount of material but in completely round shape?
Like, gaining torsional stiffness but lose a bit of lateral stiffness?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The OP said he recently moved to a new frame. To me the issue is the frame.....the chainstays must be flexing laterally and causing the brake rub. Take the same Enve wheels to another bike. If no rub then the issue is the Edmonds SLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Hexsense wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:31 am
Does the alignment of bladed spokes where it form large I beam against the rotational direction but leave thin side profile change the stiffness of the spoke compare to spoke with same amount of material but in completely round shape?
Like, gaining torsional stiffness but lose a bit of lateral stiffness?
No. Spokes work in tension. There is no bending force. That's why fiber spokes exist which are essentially a really strong rope.

http://www.berdspokes.com/

http://biketouringnews.com/bike-touring ... placement/

Thanos

by Thanos

pdlpsher1 wrote:The OP said he recently moved to a new frame. To me the issue is the frame.....the chainstays must be flexing laterally and causing the brake rub. Take the same Enve wheels to another bike. If no rub then the issue is the Edmonds SLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I'd already said this is not the case. I had lateral movement before, but with standard mount brakes it was easy to work around.

So, whilst I could do the same on my Èmonda, I thought I'd try and fix the root cause.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Rim depth plays an important role in brake rub. The deeper the rim keeping everything else the same the easier it is to get rub.

Set the pads further away or use a single pivot rear brake. Pads can be set much further away with these so problem solved. But all you folks think you stop quicker with a dual pivot brake rear, your wrong of course but because of this campagnolo have given up on single pivot rear brakes because no one but me or graemne on here bought them.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm
Rim depth plays an important role in brake rub. The deeper the rim keeping everything else the same the easier it is to get rub.

Set the pads further away or use a single pivot rear brake. Pads can be set much further away with these so problem solved. But all you folks think you stop quicker with a dual pivot brake rear, your wrong of course but because of this campagnolo have given up on single pivot rear brakes because no one but me or graemne on here bought them.
I have found just the opposite. In otherwise identically built Enve rimmed rear wheels, the 3.4 wheel has always been less laterally rigid than a 4.5 wheel or an old 6.7 rear wheel.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

bm0p700f wrote: Set the pads further away or use a single pivot rear brake. Pads can be set much further away with these so problem solved. But all you folks think you stop quicker with a dual pivot brake rear, your wrong of course but because of this campagnolo have given up on single pivot rear brakes because no one but me or graemne on here bought them.
I have the single pivot rear on my C50, and another set on a TT bike, but prefer the dual pivots much more, simply because they operate so much smoother and stay in place much better. Other than a few grams weight advantage, which was the driving force behind the rear single pivot at the time, the dual pivots just work better all round, front or rear. Modulation comes from how smoothly everything operates and rider control, not weaker brakes in general. The dual pivots are both smoother, and hence easier to modulate, and more powerful should you need it. Hence the single pivots are no more. But that aside, how do you find them for setup with the wider rims out there today? Do the arms come down quicker on the sides of bigger tires (say a 28 Conti clincher), on a wider rim? Because that’s where there’s less clearance than with the dual pivots.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

3Pio

by 3Pio

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Im using single pivot rear brake, and still got annoying brake rup on my Bora One AC3 50 tubs.. Same setup but with Bora 35 Tub (3D Diamond), no brake rub.. Again if i press walls of the rim, very soft and squishy on Bora 50 (i really have feeling that i can brake it if i press any harder with my fingers). On 35 feel stiff and solid.. But verticaly Bora 50 seem to be stiffer (or maybe look like that since i use there Conti Sprinter tires vs Vittoria Corsa G+ on my 35...)

And on single pivot rear brake harder to adjust properly vs dual brakes.. One of the reasons i like single vs dual on the back, is less wheel lock up in panic braking (i have dual on my other bike, and sometimes i have wheel skidding because i lock the wheel.. But maybe im used of single pivot brake, so need some transition time when i switch to other bike)