Zipp 202 or 404 for everyday?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I'm looking at buying either the 202 or 404 clinchers to use everyday. Are these wheels durable enough to be used everyday? The roads in my area are generally well maintained. Do you recommend the 202 or the 404?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Why exactly Zipp?

But for everyday, 404 definitely.
Unless you ride in the mountains, in which case carbon clinchers are a bad idea, choose either solid aluminium wheels or tubulars.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I'm not set on Zipp specifically, but I have a good deal on a set of 202s or 404s. I'm open to anything, although I can't afford Lightweight or Enves. With that said, I'd like to find something similar to the 404's (around 50mm) but lighter. Any suggestions?

Beaver

by Beaver

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:08 pm
Unless you ride in the mountains, in which case carbon clinchers are a bad idea, choose either solid aluminium wheels or tubulars.
Have you seen a single destroyed carbon clincher with textured brake tracks (e.g. Zipp showstopper)? ;)

That argument is not valid anymore but still in the heads. ;)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Skip both and get the Bora Ultra 35 or 50. I had the Zipp 404 NSW's, the higher end version of the brand. While the wheelset was excellent, they lacked the stiffness, quick engagement, and abilities to deal with cross winds as my Bora Ultra 50's.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Beaver wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:09 pm
Have you seen a single destroyed carbon clincher with textured brake tracks (e.g. Zipp showstopper)? ;)

That argument is not valid anymore but still in the heads. ;)
One of my buddies (who rides 20k+ year, though) recently melted one somewhere on Etna. But that was a Chinese rim, although endured several ten-thousands already.

Then again, I'm rather afraid of a blowing clincher sidewall than rim meltdown, which out of all wheel types carbon clinchers have the highest risk for ;)
HarrisonK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 pm
I'm not set on Zipp specifically, but I have a good deal on a set of 202s or 404s. I'm open to anything, although I can't afford Lightweight or Enves. With that said, I'd like to find something similar to the 404's (around 50mm) but lighter. Any suggestions?
Go for Boras then. And actually cheaper than Zipps, it think, too. I've got a 10+ years old set of original Bora Ultras, still running as smooth as new ones.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

The Bora's are over $1,000 more than the Zipps. I definitely cant do that. Any other suggestions?

Kurets

by Kurets

It really depends on what you like. I have a set of 202s and a set of Vision Metron 55s which I would say is quite similar in terms of depth at least. Out of these I prefer riding the 202s because I enjoy how snappy the bikd feels with the lighter wheelset. Sure, deeper is faster but outside of TTs I can't say that I think aerodynamics is that important, for racing at least.

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

Beaver

by Beaver

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:05 pm
One of my buddies (who rides 20k+ year, though) recently melted one somewhere on Etna. But that was a Chinese rim, although endured several ten-thousands already.

Then again, I'm rather afraid of a blowing clincher sidewall than rim meltdown, which out of all wheel types carbon clinchers have the highest risk for ;)
Chinese rims have either a basalt coating (smooth black surface) or a carbon-basalt weave (newer models). The first ones were really easy to "kill", with the newer ones it's already quite difficult. But the textured brake tracks of the big brands are really one step forward, they will eat up pads faster, but these will be very difficult to melt:

I never experienced a clincher sidewall blow, did it happen to you? And if, under what circumstances? Clinchers are so popular today, if that was an issue we would read a lot about it here. ;) And with todays wider rims, really high pressures are no longer needed, too.

Beaver

by Beaver

HarrisonK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm
The Bora's are over $1,000 more than the Zipps. I definitely cant do that. Any other suggestions?
Bontrager XXX 4 or Roval CLX 50?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

HarrisonK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm
Check Merlincycles.com
The Ultra 35's are $1800 while the 50's are $2300.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

nkanaf

by nkanaf

HarrisonK wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:29 pm
I'm looking at buying either the 202 or 404 clinchers to use everyday. Are these wheels durable enough to be used everyday? The roads in my area are generally well maintained. Do you recommend the 202 or the 404?
Much hype surrounds these deeper section carbon wheels, but I have always found them less stable for every day use in cross winds. I have Zipp 303 firecrest disc wheels and wish I had the 202 instead. I highly recommend 202, especially if you are a smaller rider like me

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nkanaf wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Much hype surrounds these deeper section carbon wheels, but I have always found them less stable for every day use in cross winds. I have Zipp 303 firecrest disc wheels and wish I had the 202 instead. I highly recommend 202, especially if you are a smaller rider like me

I like my 202s more and more every day since it seems like extreme winds are the new norm in the Bay Area as climate change continues to mess with ocean currents.

springs

by springs

I've been riding 202s everyday for the past four or five years. In the mountains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

If I was limited to one set of wheels, they would be carbon clinchers in the 35-45mm range.