Road tubeless ... components not working together

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

WinterRider wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Musta.. used a batch 'tween your ears .. hey? :up:
I have no idea what you just said. What is that, Scottish?
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:57 pm
WinterRider wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Musta.. used a batch 'tween your ears .. hey? :up:
I have no idea what you just said. What is that, Scottish?
:welcome: Your slow hey.

Just a good natured jab back.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Removed the "Pantie-Racer" Gravel Dogs today (not able to reseal road-side if bead is broke)... sidewall if anything is more flimsy than any road tire I can remember. Which.. reminded me of some comments around here whereas the user could 'mount the tubeless tire w one hand'. Have read one tubeless maker stated no use of tire levers on their tire... the gist was the sidewalls were flexible and (?) easily damaged.

Then.. I reads one recommend hookless rims per tubeless.. can't find the frick'n link tonite. Doubt the 'one hand tubeless' combo that route.....

So... I set up my NON tubeless rims for a tight interference fit.. enough tape x's to avoid the burps. Had no issue with the G 'dogs blowing off... have no issues w NON tubeless wire bead rubber coming off.. burping ...et al.

The Corsa Speed (open TLR) is tubeless.. cant have much bead weight. So... non tubeless -- non wire beads is next up. In the mail.

NOT recommending... again said.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

WinterRider wrote:Removed the "Pantie-Racer" Gravel Dogs today (not able to reseal road-side if bead is broke)... sidewall if anything is more flimsy than any road tire I can remember. Which.. reminded me of some comments around here whereas the user could 'mount the tubeless tire w one hand'. Have read one tubeless maker stated no use of tire levers on their tire... the gist was the sidewalls were flexible and (?) easily damaged.

Then.. I reads one recommend hookless rims per tubeless.. can't find the frick'n link tonite. Doubt the 'one hand tubeless' combo that route.....

So... I set up my NON tubeless rims for a tight interference fit.. enough tape x's to avoid the burps. Had no issue with the G 'dogs blowing off... have no issues w NON tubeless wire bead rubber coming off.. burping ...et al.

The Corsa Speed (open TLR) is tubeless.. cant have much bead weight. So... non tubeless -- non wire beads is next up. In the mail.

NOT recommending... again said.
Dude what are you up to? My experience with road tubeless setup is mount tyre, bead, sealant, done.

Hed ardenne with schwalbe one.

The tyres were rubbish but the tubeless part was easy.

Are you just really bored?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WinterRider

by WinterRider

--ok.
Last edited by WinterRider on Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marin

by Marin

He's right though, tubeless is nothing special today, you get TR rims & tires, mount them and ride.

I think noone really understands what you are trying to do. Your writing style makes it even harder to find that out.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Marin wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:35 pm
He's right though, tubeless is nothing special today, you get TR rims & tires, mount them and ride.

I think noone really understands what you are trying to do. Your writing style makes it even harder to find that out.
Ok.. check to the latter.

The de-tales of tubeless aren't all that cut and dried per the products called/labeled 'tubeless'.

Tires.. actual bead diameter and it's relative stiffness vs it's competition and non tubeless tires... the variance is significant. What gives?

The Continental Ultra ll training tire albeit wire bead about duplicates the performance of tubeless retailing for 4x +. WHF... I know a 'new' product always gets peddled w R&D costs.. new production etc's.. but IMO the tubeless game is mostly hosing the consumer. Panaracer's marketing of the Gravel Dog 32mm last yr is prime example... simple 12 dollar tire in reality costing near 50. Just ordinary bullsh*t.

Well understand these are marketing forums.. for many the break from reality to indulge. :thumbup: Yet I find many of the products being pimped .. junk.

ergott

by ergott

Marin wrote:

I agree. A lot if times I just don't want to reread and try to decifer what you are saying. Know your audience.

markdjr

by markdjr

I've had good experience with Finish Line sealant on my ghetto tubeless Gen 1 Enve 3.4s. A friend had a puncture big enough that the finish line wouldn't seal but I suspect Orange Seal may have, so I think I'll probably start running the combo. All bikes are currently tubeless and have appreciated spending more time on the road and less time on the side of it.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

ergott wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:03 pm
Marin wrote:

I agree. A lot if times I just don't want to reread and try to decifer what you are saying. Know your audience.
I have a theory that he's taking a very well thought out post, intentionally running it through Google Translate to convert it to three other languages before translating it back to English and posting it here. I only come to this thread anymore because it's fun to watch.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Hooked rims & no hooks via tubeless.

Factor in the tube-ass rubber that 'mounts w one hand'. Add 1K mileage on this specimen... on 'no hook' rims. Safety issue?

The 'no hooks' a carbon rim thang... difficulty producing consistent strong hooks.. I wonder.

As your descending at a good clip... just repeat the phaze... 'tube-ass compatible' .. et al. If anything.. the meat wagon drivers will know your still w us.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

hookless is for MTB and low pressure that was the original design intention. it is not for road tyres and higher pressure even though some manufacturers think it is and some people use hookless rims with there road tubeless tyres. It can works for some but not with all tyres and there is the problem. With MTB tubeless tyres being run at 25 psi hookless is fine.

ms6073

by ms6073

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:07 pm
I have a theory that he's taking a very well thought out post, intentionally running it through Google Translate to convert it to three other languages before translating it back to English and posting it here. I only come to this thread anymore because it's fun to watch.
Ik denk dat niemand echt begrijpt wat je probeert te doen. Uw schrijfstijl maakt het nog moeilijker om dat uit te vinden.
Uste dut inork ez duela benetan ulertzen zer egiten ari zaren. Idazketa-estiloak zaildu egiten du jakiteko.
I think that nobody really understands what you are doing. Writing style makes it harder to find out. :mrgreen:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

your Dutch is quite good ;)

@WinterRider, can you please create sentences that make sense, even for non native speakers? Many thanks.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WinterRider

by WinterRider

bm0p700f wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 pm
hookless is for MTB and low pressure that was the original design intention. it is not for road tyres and higher pressure even though some manufacturers think it is and some people use hookless rims with there road tubeless tyres. It can works for some but not with all tyres and there is the problem. With MTB tubeless tyres being run at 25 psi hookless is fine.
The UST standard now in place for tubeless.. that's a good benchmark. Now the marketing segment wants to peddle hookless for rd rubber.. that is asking for serious issues going forward.

Makes no sense.. is all about $$ and covering for carbon rim makers who can't get it done w hooks........ :noidea: