Bora AC3 vs non-AC3 vs alloy rim....in the wet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Anyone have experience with this?
-Is the new improved AC3 version of the Bora's better in the wet?
-Worthwhile selling off my alloy rim Campagnolo Zonda wheels?

I've only had experience with my Zonda alloy rim wheels with standard campagnolo rim pads.....that was....unnerving going downhill in the wet.

I recently upgraded to Bora One 35 AC3 using campy's standard carbon pads....and shimano groupset (yes I know)..no experience in wet yet

Still got the Zonda wheels, debating whether to change the hub to shimano freehub and use the Kool Stop ultegra/DA Salmon pads (which are apparently pretty decent in the wet). This would be my wet weather wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I don't know about riding in the wet since I live in Southern California. But I will tell you the my Bora Ultra 50 AC3 don't brake any better in dry weather compared to the previous version of 3Diamant wheels. Even worse, they are loud!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

I’ve raced my bora one 50 ac3 in the wet and couldn’t notice any difference from my previous 3diamant aside from the loud noise. After a couple of rides in the rain, the ac3 grooves are disappearing. Now my ac3 is like 3diamant.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Those "grooves" that many people think are what adds to the wet weather braking are simply artifacts remaining after the process of removing more resin from the surrounding carbon in the brake track. It is the addiitonal removal of resin around the actual carbon in the brake track that is supposedly providing the better braking in the wet. In fact, if I look really close at even pre 2015 Boras, the same circular grooves can be seen, they're just not nearly as pronounced. Of course, I'm sure that Campy is just fine if rumors start as to how effective those "grooves" are for stopping in the wet. I agree with @ome rodriguez, in the dry at least I don't notice any better braking than the 3Diamante track, aside from the added noise. Keep in mind that the 3Diamante provides supberb braking as it is.

@ome rodriguez: Do you find that the noise of the AC3's is lessening and becoming closer to, or the same, as your 3Diamantes? I just don't have enough miles on mine to notice any appreciable wear or difference in sound yet as they are wrapped in Veloflex 27mm Vlanderens which I rarely ride on the local roads.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

Boshk wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am
I've only had experience with my Zonda alloy rim wheels with standard campagnolo rim pads.....that was....unnerving going downhill in the wet.

Most aluminum wheels are slick at first in the wet and then they bite. Probably something with a ceramic coating and special pads are what you need for really great wet weather braking.

I'd keep the Zondas only for the fact that used wheels aren't worth much. You might as well keep them and try some different pads.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a new set of Boras to be my wet weather wheel. $1500-2000 is just too much for a wheelset subjected to road grime. IMO, of course.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

1. it's good to have a spare beater set for just in case. I'm glad I didn't sell my almost brand new Vento set (for peanuts) - for example when I noticed the freehub was toast on my better wheels with Record hubs I could just grab the part from the Ventos...

2. I find that Boras are OK in the wet after the initial lag. This lag happens on alu too. If it is the same or different I can't really say but I don't think it matters that much if its 1 second or 1.5. For me the real problem is in between tire and road. Water acts as a lubricant and in the wet, as a non-pro with a kid waiting at home, I choose to ride slow and take corners like a granny. So I go slow not because brakes are slow but because the wheels can easily jump from me. As much as I find discs cool and beautiful in feel, I don't switch because I know I will still ride slow in the wet out of mistrust in the tires.

Boshk

by Boshk

Thanks, should have asked before I bought, got sucked into this AC3 thing. There were 2nd hand Ultra 34s/50s same price as my normal Bora One 35s.

Anyway, might be good idea to keep my Zonda's until I get more exposure to wet weather riding with the Bora's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jellytots

by jellytots

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:41 pm
Boshk wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:35 am

Most aluminum wheels are slick at first in the wet and then they bite. Probably something with a ceramic coating and special pads are what you need for really great wet weather braking.

I second that re coated rims - had a set of mavic cosmic pros with the exalith coating and it stopped every single time on a dime in the wet / grit. Best braking i've ever experienced and even better than the discs I've tried IMHO.

HOWEVER.

Downsides to the exalith coating are that the coating will wear off over time and the banshee screeching during hard breaking. These can be dealbreakers for some.