Token Ventous disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seve88

by seve88

https://www.tokenproducts.com/wheels/425-ventous-disc

Anybody used these and able to offer any opinion?

These are at about my budget and tick a number of boxes. I like the 35mm depth and low weight as I'm looking for an all round wheel ie a bit of aero, less weight and less suspect to side winds.

In particular the dimensions suit what I like for a 25mm GP4000 tyre.

I'm not expecting miracles. They will be a fairly standard rim to most at the price point but I hope, having never ridden carbon wheels, will still give some upgrade compared to my Hed Ardennes (which are still good wheels).

I prefer to buy local so have rules out open mould rims, even though I know I could get something similar for less.

Thanks in advance.

Theologian

by Theologian

I'm about to get these, so I'll let you know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tnkn

by tnkn

Any updates on these? Thinking about getting some myself.

sib

by sib

Bump:
Also interested in a ride report/review..!

lazypete

by lazypete

I've got a set. Rim tape airtight out of the box. Got my IRC Formula RBCC tyres on using thumbs only. Some soapy water and one tyre up first go with JoeBloBooster, other needed a bit extra soapy water then popped fine.

Only one ride before winter hibernation so far - stiff and felt / sounded quick, though appreciate that's meaningless (and I only weigh 62kg). A bit harsh I thought, but I'd forgotten to reduce the pressure from 100 after install. Should be much better at about 80.

Got a great price, and some Quidco cashback I think, from ProBikeKit, so overall pleased. Picked these as I found the 50mm wheels on my felt AR were a bit scary descending long climbs in the wind (Mallorca etc) as came round corners. Go nicely with my Genesis Zero Disc.

Was very tempted by slightly cheaper ICAN 40 mm DT hubbed wheels, but they had more spokes and weren't on the UCI approved list, which these are, just in case I ever fancied racing.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Any more feedback on this wheelset. Specs on paper seem very good. There is very limited first hand information on the web. Curious about the quality and durability of the hubs.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sfo423

by sfo423

Their konax pro looks pretty light for 52mm. The c45d is not bad either but appears to be lower end with j bend spokes.

Anyone see if these are center lock or 6 bolt? Didn’t see it in spec.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Everything I saw indicated center-lock.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

sfo423

by sfo423

Anyone have feedback on the hubs? I was looking at the DT Swiss ERC 47 and the ARC 48 at about $1800 us. Tolken hubs are likely a step below the DT 240s but all else considered, the Tolken are almost $800 cheaper. But, they may be a bit wide for 25mm tires.

AJS914

by AJS914

How about some Light Bicycle wheels? They are half the price of the Token wheels with Novatech hubs and still a couple hundred cheaper with DT 240s hubs. Or spit the difference with DT 350s hubs.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-sha ... tible.html

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Interesting thing about Token, if you find their manufacturers website (Conti Carbon ) they are using some pretty good tech for the rims. The exploded diagram for the hub also shows a very simple design. It could be that this new rim and new hub is a real undiscovered gem. We won't really know for sure until a bunch of us have torture tested them and that won't be for a while. And they can be had at a nice discount so pricing not so different then others. Maybe worth a shot.

@AJS914, yes the LightBicycle stuff is very attractive. The rims all seem very good. I may go that route - trying to decide between the rim you linked and the RG922. One is shallow and asymmetric and the other is deeper and symmetric. I am wondering which makes a stronger wheel. I'd go DT350 for hubs. No one seems to have a definitive assessment of those Novatech disc hubs.

sfo423

by sfo423

Do you have a link? I though Token were made by Gigantex. Maybe they were a few years ago?
Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:29 am
Interesting thing about Token, if you find their manufacturers website (Conti Carbon ) they are using some pretty good tech for the rims. The exploded diagram for the hub also shows a very simple design.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Try this:
https://sklep.token-polska.pl/innowacje ... -n-38.html

I happened upon another website that I think related to the Taiwanese manufacturer but I can't find it now. It was late last night and there was some beer so I really can't be too certain what I was looking at. :)

sfo423

by sfo423

I found the manual on the US site: https://www.tokenproducts.com/images/ve ... __C52D.pdf - looks like they recco 28mm tire on the Konax Pro Disc Prime. I ride 25mm. Bummer.
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:04 am
Try this:
https://sklep.token-polska.pl/innowacje ... -n-38.html

I happened upon another website that I think related to the Taiwanese manufacturer but I can't find it now. It was late last night and there was some beer so I really can't be too certain what I was looking at. :)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

sfo423 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 am
I found the manual on the US site: https://www.tokenproducts.com/images/ve ... __C52D.pdf - looks like they recco 28mm tire on the Konax Pro Disc Prime. I ride 25mm. Bummer.
The internal width is 20mm, a 25 mm should work just fine. What tires? Your choice is due to frame tire clearance limitation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com