HED Handbuilds

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I noticed that was your suggestion as well. Love those hubs. Nicest sound of any hubs I have. Super smooth, easy to work on, although they never need it, and just roll so nice. I actually detest the sound of Chris King hubs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:33 pm
I mentioned WI hubs earlier but I find the bearings are not that long lived.
WI has updated their bearings and they are now at least as good as whatever else you're going to find out there. https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... ngs-update

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have a few sets of HED Belgium or Belgium Plus. Two sets on Chris King (one is disc brake), one set on White Ind T11, and one set on Dura-Ace 9000. Honestly, the Dura-Ace is really hard to beat. The Ti freehub resists gouging, they are easy to service, and come with arguably the best skewers out there. IMO Chris King hubs are nice but very expensive, and require a significant investment in tools to service. White T11 are also nice, but they are not as well sealed as King or Dura-Ace.

I'm around 170 lbs and run 24/28 with Sapim CX-Ray all round. For the OP I think you could go 28F/32R with the Belgium Plus and use maybe a heavier spoke like DT Race on the drive side, and CX-Ray everywhere else.

jrod88

by jrod88

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 pm
I think I suggested that combo in my first reply.

I do wonder why these hubs are overlooked. I suggest them to customers and it's a waste of time.
This is the first time I've heard of them recommened. Locally most handbuilds are 240s or Shimano.

I do appreciate the concern for costs and bang for the buck.
Allez Sprint
SS EVO SE

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I find miche primato hub impossible to beat. Cheap and reliable. They dont have the low weight of some hubs but they have big bearings and a steel rear axle. Soon there should be a steel freehub available. for the OP these hubs are ideal, although record is still good.

Multebear

by Multebear

jrod88 wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:33 am

Locally most handbuilds are 240s or Shimano.
What exactly do you mean by this? Are you sure?

There are a lot of hubs out there suited for handbuild wheels. Maybe you just don't recognize them, when you see them. Or maybe you only look at high end wheels.

There's no reason why only DT or DA are used for custom wheels.

Miche Primato hubs are very good and durable hubs, and they don't break the bank, but not before that freehub body issue is fixed. Especially with your weight. You'll leave bite marks very quickly. When the steel body is available, it will become a very very good hub, if you're not concerned with weight.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The agent is at the miche factory today with a request for a steel freehubs. I should get a price soon. Even if I have to buy 200 I'll buy them as I'll spec it with the wheels i build. Maybe chickens will take some too or miche just start offering it. Either I am making it happen.