vlaanderen vs. roubaix

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone tried this veloflex vlaanderen 27c before? having a hard time deciding between this or the veloflex roubaix for my 28mm wide wheelset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I have switched from Roubaix to Vlaanderen. The big ones felt easier to mount. They might be slightly comfier and slightly slower but nothing striking. In terms of pressure I settled on 6.5 rear and 5.5 front while the 25 were usualy at 7.5 with 7 (I'm around 95Kg)

My wheels are 24mm Boras and I also tried a 23mm Vittoria. After running them for a while I didn't really like how the edge of the glued area was looking . In guess in general a slightly wider or same width tire will mate better than a narrower tire.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Vlanderens are totally easier to mount. The first time I did it I almost ended up with a hop on the “opposite” side of the valve due to mounting them with the same force I’m used to pulling on a Roubaix, or god forbid, a Conti Comp.
They’re a little on the big side for road riding for me personally but if you prefer comfort over handling, or you are riding on terrible roads, then they’re a great way to go.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Have one set of Vlaanderen's, one set of Roubaix's and one set of FMB Servcie Course (old Comp CX) currently mounted. Vlaanderens are a super comfy ride!! I agree with the non-scientific opinion above that they feela touch slower than the roubaix's (and the FMB's), but certainly cannot quantify it. I went with them because coming out of last winter the roads on Long Island have been atrocious and was lookiong for a smidge more protection. My all time fav tubulars have been the FMB Paris Riubaix Pro's. About to order another set of the PR-Pros, but going 25 (f) and 27 (r) this time. I'd give the Vlaanderen's a shot. In my opinion, tires are an over looked component. Life is too short to ride crappy tires!!

RyanH

by RyanH

Try inflating the Vlaanderen to 80/85 (for a 70kg rider). I guarantee they'll feel like the fastest tire you've ever ridden. At that pressure, they're surreal on the flats.

addictR1

by addictR1

RyanH wrote:Try inflating the Vlaanderen to 80/85 (for a 70kg rider). I guarantee they'll feel like the fastest tire you've ever ridden. At that pressure, they're surreal on the flats.
Ryan, would it feel sluggish yet comfy at that psi range? Likewise wouldn’t it be easier to get a puncture with low psi?

I run 65-70psi on my CX with 32c and that felt great riding but really sluggish feeling from dead stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

No, they're hands down the fastest tire I've ever ridden when pumped that high. With the right wheels, they feel like you're gliding across the road. As I said above, it's a surreal feeling of speed. Wheel choice matters though as you'll lose the sensation if you're riding anything from Mavic, for example, but Enve 3.4 and Boras have it.

It's a very versatile tire. You can run it low and it'll handle a wide variety of terrain with aplomb or high and it'll be a speed demon. They weigh about 5 to 10g more per tire than Roubaix, which is neglible. The only downside really I think is that they don't handle as quickly as a 25 or 23mm tire. You'll lean in more for a turn in my experience.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hmm... my corsa cx are aging... I have a set of arenburgs in the wings but I always felt they look small on my Enve 2.2. Maybe Vlaanderens are the ticket.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Well...I had about 300-400 miles on the Vlaanderens. WFH Monday, decided to sneak out for a quick 20 before lunch. On one of my favorite roads, busy, but with a big, wide smooth shoulder, and...BOOM!! I am still not sure what I ran over, I never saw it, but it shredded the rear tire. No tire would have survived that!! Tossed on my emergency Tufo Jet 160 and nursed my way back home. Cleaned the rims and just mounted a new pair of A Dugast Strada Cotton 25's. I'm going to miss the Vlaanderens, they were super comfy, although I clearly didnt get a chance to really guage durability.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I have less on mine and the dimples from the contact area were are all gone fast. I was kind of bummed because of this, but later I had to do some 15km of big gravel (including deep parts where you are constantly close to falling, then a descend to top it off) and I was expecting to see them shreded, and yet they survived with zero signs. A while ago i crossed 5km of crushed stone on Arenbergs and all that happened were 3 cuts, rather nasty but not through the cotton. So all in all Veloflex are pretty durable IME.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com