Larger inner width rims vs tyre sidewall damage

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I've had 4 or 5 sidewall cuts in my Michelin Power comp 25 during let's say the past year. I use them on 21C Rovals. I've the same tyre on 17C Bora's and in 3 sets, I never had any sidewall (or other) damage to the tyre. On the Bora's, the 25's balloon slightly, on the Rovals, the sidewall is almost vertical. And as such, more exposed to debris while cornering?? Any thoughts on this "theory"?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

probably thats right. 21mm inner width is getting a bit wide. better for 28mm tyres really or tyres that come up at 28mm+ in reality.

Delorre

by Delorre

So the 105% rule for aero (I don't care in reality, I just like the way those tyres ride on 21C rims) has some less obious downsides also... I don't think I will go back to 19C rims or go up to 28mm tyres. The 25 ones are already around 28mm, more than large enough for general riding.

dim

by dim

I have HED Belgium Plus rims on my Giant, (Rim Width (External): 25mm, and the inside width of 20.6mm .... I'm currently using Specialized Turbo Cotton Clinchers (700x24), with no problems whatsoever .... I have also used IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless tyres (700x25)
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The 105% rule is fine but 21mm internal width rims should be 29mm external width or 30mm then a true 28mm tyre will be fine. It when you have a 21mm internal 25mm external rim queue velocity quill then the problems can start with a narrow tyre.

I think it may be due to less side wall flex on tyres that are stretched to fit, making cuts more likely.

I use 18.5mm internal width carbon rims with tyres that sit at 25mm wide on a rim with 25mm wide brake tracks. This works fine.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Just get a tire that is less weak on the sidewall.
Michelin Power Competition is the only tires that i guaranteed to get unusable sidewall cut within less than 2 weeks on my road. One of them don't even survive first ride. Gave them 3 chance to prove itself ( ordered in different batch separated by months) but always the same conclusion. One is on the 17mm inner width rim too so it's not limited to 21mm inner width.

Vittoria Corsa G+, Specialized Turbo, Conti 4000sII, Conti Force III and Attack III are all fine on the exact same road.

tomycs

by tomycs

I've had a few more punctures this year w. 21c venn 507 and 25mm Schwalbe1 but I don't think it's the width. It's more likely a combination of: the fact that I commute on them, terrain (dirty roads) and sometimes available light.

23mm Rubino Pro and 23mm Michelin Pro4SC on Kinlin xr31t (19mm int width) and 25mm Schwalbe1 on Pacenti Sl23v2 (20.2mm int width) have all been fine (less than 1pct /year).

Delorre

by Delorre

I've been lucky, out of the 4 or 5 sidewall cut's, I only got 2 very very slow punctures, mostly due to the use of thin latex innertubes. Managed to get home with only a few stops to put some new air in the tyre. Back home, patched the innertube, put some textured tape on the inside of the tyre, and done. Never had to bin the tyre before worn out. But still, never had sidewall issues in my whole cycling history (25 years or so). Maybe time to try out the new Pirelli's...

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

One of my power comps split on the side while being on an old school narrow rim. I don't recall doing anything agressive before noticing the cut. I patched it and it is still going but...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boooooo

by Boooooo

hi guys ended up here noticing same coincidence (using 21C Mavic rims, 27 mm outer width)
Have to say I am using tubeless tyres that you must know are more stressed in the shoulders area but for this reason have thick sidewalls, maybe not sufficient?