Tire blew off rim today

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:21 am
^That should be standard practice regardless of the tube you’re using. But with latex it is harder to ensure everything is “ok”, as it is much more adept at getting into the tiniest cracks than butyl is, even if it was ok upon inflation.
Simple standard practice but still obviously overlooked considering what happened. Only if the bead suddenly tore with no previous indication, then it was out of the OP's hands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not necessarily “overlooked” at all. That’s the thing about latex versus butyl. The latex can “creep” into tiny crevices with a bit of time. You’re assuming it will blow right away. And when it finally does blow, the force can blow the bead right off the rim. Lots of stuff can happen. That’s my guess as to what happened here.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Only use latex tubes bu they are inside tubulars :D Many moons ago I had my worst crash after a rear tire latex tube blowout, unseated the vittoria tire who got stuck in the rear brake and sent me flying 50 yards on tarmac. I was at leat going 30MPH. This cured me forever of clinchers.

Priit

by Priit

DeLuz wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:20 am
Today I was going downhill about 30 MPH heard a bang and suddenly I was riding on my front rim. It was a bit scary but luckily I was going staight and was able to stay upright. When I stopped and looked at the wheel it was obvious the tire blew off the rim.
And that's why people are riding tubulars :) You are actually lucky. But imagine going downhill in Alps or doing a group ride at 40-50 km/h...

RyanH

by RyanH

Yes, this is pretty much the primary reason I solely ride tubs. Most people are scared to ride tubulars because of the voodoo of dealing with a flat, I'm scared to ride clinchers, won't do it.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

So stay on the 0.45mm thin butyl tubes if you are worried. No need to carry heavy spare tubulars or get a taxi home when that rare sidewall cut occurs.

I must have been lucky with my latex tubes then. Never found them going anywhere, yet. Thanks for the warning.

I still have a hard time understanding a tube moving into a place where it can blow the bead off the rim. What however does sound logical is that a latex tube is more explosive simply by the size of its puncture. The holes are larger and lets air out faster. I could understand a latex pucture doing something a butyl wouldn't by that fact alone.

/a

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Deluz, which rim did you use ?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Recently blew 2 Veloflex Masters 25mm off 2 different rims: one Zonda C17, one Zipp 302 disc. Both were latex tubes. Been riding latex for several years with different tires (GP4000, Turbo Cottons, Michelin Power), but these kind of incidents happened for the first time ever for me, so too much correlation with Veloflex in this case.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Miller

by Miller

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 am
I still have a hard time understanding a tube moving into a place where it can blow the bead off the rim.
Yet it can and does happen. I've had the exact same experience with latex inner tubes, a few years ago my front 'open tubular' tyre flew off the rim with a bang when cycling over a bridge in town. I kept the bike upright, just. Latex inner.

I'm all about tubeless now.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

Calnago wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 am
Yes but that’s an uncontained situation. In a clincher situation, latex is very good at creeping into the tiniest of crevices (between the bead and rim, under rim strips etc.). That is what eventually causes the blowout. It can sit just under the bead for a while but when it goes it’s very likely it will blow the bead off the rim with it.
Had a tire swell and blow in front of me before a ride. I was two feet away.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:46 pm
Conti cares about your safety above corporate profits.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you:
a) naive
b) stupid
c) being paid by them
d) all of the above?

nafaiutb

by nafaiutb

Double post
Last edited by nafaiutb on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otoman

by otoman

Miller wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:08 pm
alcatraz wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 am
I still have a hard time understanding a tube moving into a place where it can blow the bead off the rim.
Yet it can and does happen. I've had the exact same experience with latex inner tubes, a few years ago my front 'open tubular' tyre flew off the rim with a bang when cycling over a bridge in town. I kept the bike upright, just. Latex inner.

I'm all about tubeless now.
So here's an experience. Used (from a bike mechanic friend but still stupid. "they're fine!" he said. "Barely used!" he said) Maxxis Rambler 38mm tire. Very loose fitting now that I think about it on the install. Set up tubeless. Mounted up and held air and sealant just fine. Went for a ride on the wheels, gravel, lots of climbing and descending. I get to about mile 48 and we're coming down a smooth paved descent. I've just come out of a switchback going about 26-28mph when BAM! explosive gunshot loss of pressure and I'm on the rear rim, sliding around on the tire and sealant. I managed to stop it with out falling using the front brake. Inspecting the tire, the bead appeared damaged/broken. Super loose fiting at that point, I put a tube in to get home. I gingerly roll down hill. Within 500 meters, BAM! again. Blown out tube - I mean exploded and ripped open at the sidewall. Clearly the tire bead had allowed the tube a gap and it just blew apart. Well my buddy had one more tube, we knew the drill but wanted do see how far I could make it. 500m more and same result. My friend had to come pick me up.

I know this is an older post but interesting read given my recent experience last weekend. I think this completely agrees with the OP's assesment that he was dealing with too loose of a tire. So just a little warning to be critical of an easily mounted clincher or tubeless tire. They really should be a PITA to install. Also, just buy new tires. Obvious right? :roll:

Hopefully this new standard that manufacturers have agreed upon will help decrease the odds of this happening with (new) tubeles/clincher tires.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill