Enve SES 3.4 clincher real weight help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I've tried to search the web to find the proper weight for this set, but I find weights all over the place. ENVE's own website shows heavier weights than any tests / reviews / wheel builder websites I find.

I'm looking for the weight of the new enve ses 3.4 clincher wheelset, non-disc version, with the textured brake tracks. Please state the hub, spokes and whether you included the rim strips in the weight. Based on my calculations with dt240 hubs, sapim cx-ray spokes, the set should weigh around 1,405g - 1,430g (depending on nipple types). This is 60-70g lower than the weight published on ENVE's website.

Also do you have any experiences with the Carbon ENVE hubs? Are they any good and reliable?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

For the rims you should expect around 460 to 470g, DT 240S straightpull are 320g and cx-ray spokes and alu nipples are around 210g. So around 1.450g for a set. You could loose 100g with Carbon-Ti X-hubs (newest edition seems to be all right) or 90g with Enve hubs (DT hub internals, those are fine). Depending on weight you could also run lighter spokes like cx super for the last grams...

moyboy

by moyboy

1. I had a set of 3.4 latest gen Enve's with 240 DT swiss (J-pull) / Sipam / Brass nipples and Tape. Purchased in Canada. They are all built by On the Edge (their distributor).
Weight: 1512 grams

2. Had a set of custom built ones with the enve carbon hubs and pillar xtra lite spokes.
Weight: 1358 grams

FYI: Enve are phasing out the Carbon hubs and new ones will be coming out this fall.
I had a set and had to send back due to a rough bearing (fancy that!)

Also the hub flanges flex on load.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

moyboy wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 pm
1. I had a set of 3.4 latest gen Enve's with 240 DT swiss (J-pull) / Sipam / Brass nipples and Tape. Purchased in Canada. They are all built by On the Edge (their distributor).
Weight: 1512 grams

2. Had a set of custom built ones with the enve carbon hubs and pillar xtra lite spokes.
Weight: 1358 grams

FYI: Enve are phasing out the Carbon hubs and new ones will be coming out this fall.
I had a set and had to send back due to a rough bearing (fancy that!)

Also the hub flanges flex on load.
Thanks for the info on the enve hubs! Those weights are kind of dissappointing though... I was hoping that the 240 DT build's weight would be closer with tapes to 1,450 - 1,470g :(

moyboy

by moyboy

Try fairwheel bikes, they can get you to that weight with Alloy nipples and lightweight spokes.

They are great!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you are weight conscious my Campy Bora 35 Ultras weigh 1,355g. They have no rims holes and hence no rim tapes. My Campy Bora 50 Ones weigh 1,470g if you want some aero-ness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stueys

by Stueys

Always thing the 4.5 is the sweet spot, more depth for minimal extra weight

fluoroller

by fluoroller

Has anyone tried a 25c Schwalbe Pro One on a 3.4? Is it wider than the rim at the brake track?

Am thinking of whether to get the tyres in 25c or 23c width. The former would be more comfortable etc but am not quite sure if they will be too large for the rim width. Thanks.

Beaver

by Beaver

Most 25mm tires on 21C will be wider than the 27.5mm brake track - for the 105% rule the tire shouldn't be wider than real 26.1mm (but that only makes sense for the front, on the rear 25mm tires are fine).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com