Strong handbuilt wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Hi guys

In the last 8 months I've transitioned to track sprinting and doing so have gone for 82kg to 102kg. I am looking to get some strong training wheels made on Dura ace 7600 hubs. What rims would you recommend? I've seen Ambrosio F20s for sale on eBay but I don't know if these will be strong enough.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Tom :D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

ambrosio nemesis rim for tubular or Kinlin TB20 again tubular only.

you'll need triple butted spokes as well and 32 drilling.

A customer got a set of DA 7600 hub with fixed/free and sealas from some place in japan I think (they are not available in the U.K). They are going to be laced to ambrosio nemesis rims. sounds like you want the same thing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I am not anywhere close to your size, but I have had a lot of luck with NJS Araya 16Bs. They are around 310g, but when laced to Dura-Ace HB-7600 36s, they are really strong (and they look really cool). If you want to do it 'differently', you can build-up Campagnolo C-Record hubs.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

H Plus Son TB14 is another option (for tubular). Archetypes are also plenty strong if you don't mind clinchers.

EDIT: Good pick up below: TB14 are clincher rims...
Last edited by istigatrice on Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Those are clincher rim istigracie.

chunky666

by chunky666

TomColnago wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 am
Hi guys

In the last 8 months I've transitioned to track sprinting and doing so have gone for 82kg to 102kg. I am looking to get some strong training wheels made on Dura ace 7600 hubs. What rims would you recommend? I've seen Ambrosio F20s for sale on eBay but I don't know if these will be strong enough.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Tom :D
I have some Chris kings laced to H Plus Son Archetype via 28 Sapim CX rays front and rear that did me fine at 115kg+. front had a knock so needs to be rebuilt onto a new rim and spokes but having moved to Disc brakes they are no longer needed. If youre interested.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

some 115kg rider will break those wheels. I have had lighter riders do a spoke on 28H archetypes. So it not just weight it how someone rides. Track riders can be animals. they need to be.

The OP need 32 or 36 spokes rear. The nemesis is for tubular rims the archetype is for clinchers only. A 32 spoke nemesis build is about as stiff as a 32 spoke archetype build. tubular rims are stiffer somehow than clinchers.

What works for one is not always what will work for someone else.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chunky666

by chunky666

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm
some 115kg rider will break those wheels. I have had lighter riders do a spoke on 28H archetypes. So it not just weight it how someone rides. Track riders can be animals. they need to be.

The OP need 32 or 36 spokes rear. The nemesis is for tubular rims the archetype is for clinchers only. A 32 spoke nemesis build is about as stiff as a 32 spoke archetype build. tubular rims are stiffer somehow than clinchers.

What works for one is not always what will work for someone else.
Very true. Also I assumed the OP was after training wheels for the road and google has shown me that the DA 7600 hubs are Track specific ones so i'm guessnig he wants Track wheels.

So ignore me :oops: :oops: :lol: