Wheels: Aero, 170 grams lighter, and thinner or thick, more stable, and bombproof?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

So it’s not apples to apples but, it’s a comparison with the same tire. With the Hed wheels the tire balloons out to 28 plus as opposed to the FSE wheel the tire stays at 25. There is a noticeable difference is comfort in the added 2.54 cm. Also I think the Hed is more stable at power. Yes, the FSE is stiff and responsive. Also there is a noticeable aero pull. I can’t really talk about braking until the EE brakes are on. What is everyone else’s thoughts.

Hed Ardennes Sl+

FSE 45 EVO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

It depends on what you are doing? Daily driver? The HEDs all day, I love wide rims for general riding, and racing for that matter. If you are racing and its good tarmac then the others.

Beaver

by Beaver

The FSE will have a one digit watt benefit at 45kmph (450 watts needed overall in the drops) - so not really noticable. But they should be more stable in crosswinds despite the higher rim (what do you mean by aero pull?). The HED will allow you to run a much lower pressure without sacrificing tire performance though. Best of both worlds would be a rim with 21mm inside and at least 28mm outside.

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

Beaver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm
what do you mean by aero pull?
Its hard to explain but, these feel like a sail sometimes.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

CAMSHAFT wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:56 am
Beaver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm
what do you mean by aero pull?
Its hard to explain but, these feel like a sail sometimes.
That’s called the placebo effect! (The aerodynamic gains of the deeper wheel will be so small as to be unnoticeable at any given moment.)