turbo cotton

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

nachetetm wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:56 pm
I greatly disagree with your conclusions from that video. One of the riders was two seconds faster on 28 than on 25.... on a 3:45 minute ride. On an hour ride that will be 32 seconds. We can claim it is not much for someone not racing but most of the times aero wheels give less advantage for a much bigger expense, as using a wider tire is a free upgrade. 28c is also a bit more comfortable over 3:45 minutes ride. In a three hours ride the difference will be very substantial.

The other rider found the opposite result, 25c was two seconds faster than 28c
"Greatly disagree" seems strong for two seconds... especially when it swung back the other direction. And since the testers disagree.

https://youtu.be/xPi6lvkp7qw?t=6m50s
To me the conclusions are very clear from those videos. When the road is rough, 28c are much more comfortable and much faster. There is much more to gain going wider than going aero. With smoother tarmac that may be different, but in a ride with changing tarmac, I am sure at the end it is faster the wider tire versus the narrower.
Again, pretty surprising to draw such clear - and opposing - conclusions from the people conducting the test in the video.

https://youtu.be/xPi6lvkp7qw?t=7m32s

Ever try bumping down pressure in the 25s? :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you are lighter then go narrower as aero could trump rr. If you are heavier then go wider as rr could trump aero.

/a

nachetetm

by nachetetm

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:55 am
nachetetm wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:56 pm
I greatly disagree with your conclusions from that video. One of the riders was two seconds faster on 28 than on 25.... on a 3:45 minute ride. On an hour ride that will be 32 seconds. We can claim it is not much for someone not racing but most of the times aero wheels give less advantage for a much bigger expense, as using a wider tire is a free upgrade. 28c is also a bit more comfortable over 3:45 minutes ride. In a three hours ride the difference will be very substantial.

The other rider found the opposite result, 25c was two seconds faster than 28c
"Greatly disagree" seems strong for two seconds... especially when it swung back the other direction. And since the testers disagree.

https://youtu.be/xPi6lvkp7qw?t=6m50s
To me the conclusions are very clear from those videos. When the road is rough, 28c are much more comfortable and much faster. There is much more to gain going wider than going aero. With smoother tarmac that may be different, but in a ride with changing tarmac, I am sure at the end it is faster the wider tire versus the narrower.
Again, pretty surprising to draw such clear - and opposing - conclusions from the people conducting the test in the video.

https://youtu.be/xPi6lvkp7qw?t=7m32s

Ever try bumping down pressure in the 25s? :D
I would find complicated to bump down pressure in the 25c tires to 45psi without having problems, but you are free to test.
My conclusions just follow what Josh Poertner has been saying for years, but you are welcome to ignore them.

ichobi

by ichobi

Would you reckon 26mm tires work well on 17mm internal width rim? I am considering the new forecrest that has nsw braketrack (17mm internal) to go with 26mm turbo cotton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Try it, but I believe that everything over 25mm on a road bike, on a paved road is all in your head (speed and comfort wise)! Except if you are close or over 100kg.

I know I will get hell for this, but I'd never mount 28mm clinchers on a road bike for road riding. I just sold an all-road focus paralane with 28mm schwalbe ones. They were huge, sluggish and very slow to accelerate. They were amazing for gravel, dirt, wet downhill sections and for roads I'd normally wouldn't ride on a road bike.

Side note: the 28mm turbos will be probably 40 grams heavier than the good ol' GP 4000s in 25mm (and those balloon up to at least 27mm, but probably to 29mm on a wide rim). All of that weight is rotational weight and I'd pay a lot of money to remove 40 grams from my rims.

Also I do believe that tire pressure has a bigger influence on ride quality than the tire itself.

guyc

by guyc

So you haven’t actually ridden them?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I did try the turbos for about 1300 miles. 24mm front, 26mm rear. They are super good looking, high quality tires, they were easy to mount. BUT they didn't feel anything special comparing to the vittoria corsa g+. I started to get flats after about 1000 miles like crazy (especially in wet). Given their price, riding 10k miles every year, I won't return to them.

Regarding ride quality: if somebody held a gun to my head to tell which tire I'm on, blind folded, it would be hell of a decision. Maybe it's my weight, riding style, handle bars, wheels. I have no idea. I struggle to notice ride quality differences between high end tires. Even high end conti tires feel pretty much great to me. I did notice ride quality differences between tubs and clinchers, but I'm not sure if that's just the lighter rim.

EDIT: my post was mainly about tire sizes. In general, I don't think it's a great idea to ride 25+ clincher tires on road. You can always hop on your CX or mountain bike for the rough roads. YMMV.

EDIT 2: If low CRR and being aero are very important, I'd pick probably conti supersonics, TTs over the turbos. Given they have similar or lower CRR and *probably* better aero properties than the turbos and they are much lighter.

guyc

by guyc

My mileage does indeed vary.

On my Bora's a 25mm GP4000's measures 27.3mm, a 28mm TC measures 27mm dead. So the stated size becomes less relevant that actual size. I can feel a significant different in comfort between the two - the former has a hard and unforgiving ride in comparison. Something like a Corsa would be far less significant compared to a TC as we're again comparing two open tubulars rather than one with a vulcanized clincher.

The roads around me are, frankly, toilet, and a 28mm makes a whole lot of sense. But then I'm on a C64 and not that into aero for the roads I'm riding.

Marin

by Marin

@guyc you're saying a 28mm Turbo Cottom actually comes out undersized?

guyc

by guyc

On a Bora yes.

But the 24mm is closer to a 23mm and the 26mm is closer to 25mm. So it’s consistent.

billendk

by billendk

On my hunt wheels 26mm come out at 28 mm

On my enve ses 4.5 they are thrue to size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

On my Yoeleo wheels (25mm width brake track) the cotton 24's measure out to 25.5 and the 26's measure out to 27.25.

bespoke

by bespoke

Revisiting this thread;
Guy you have the 28mm ones which I believe have more sidewall protection. In the public site these are their own SKU and named “Hell of the North”
In the UK B2B site they come under the normal Turbo cotton range which goes 24,26 and 28mm
I am slightly confused if there are two 28mm versions; or only the one - ie if you choose 28mm you get the wider tread/sidewall protection
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

guyc

by guyc

Howdy

As far as I know the 28mm are all labelled Hell of the North. IMO they’re a better tyre for the UK roads and not as fragile as the 24/26mm versions. I’ve suffered one puncture in almost 5000 miles.

dim

by dim

guyc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:24 pm
Howdy

As far as I know the 28mm are all labelled Hell of the North. IMO they’re a better tyre for the UK roads and not as fragile as the 24/26mm versions. I’ve suffered one puncture in almost 5000 miles.
I've used the regular Turbo Cottons on several occasions (my favourite clinchers so far)

I might try these Hell of the North if people are getting 5000 miles on them and if they fit my bike
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com