got my first flat today..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

What are you guys using for glue/patch jobs on tubs to get you home?

Want to get something for my kit in case sealant won't fix it *knock on wood*.

Have had great luck with tubs so far, not a single puncture since jumping over to the dark side this time last year but that run can't last forever.

sungod

by sungod

if you can't seal it with tufo extreme then chances are it won't seal, i.e. a large cut

with a tufo tub (no separate inner tube), perhaps you could use the same plugs/worms used for tubeless, but you'd have to be riding tufo tubs, meh

if it's a normal tub with a separate inner tube that's it, you may find it holds at lower pressure to get home on, if not you can...
- remove it and fit your spare pre-glued tub (i.e. one of the <160g tufo ones, they fold up small)
- ride it home flat, if it's not a long way (and not too steep/fast!) and the road surface is good this is ok, but with a flat tub you could damage the rim on bad road surface/debris
- get a taxi/other ride/walk back

last year i stopped when i saw a guy walking barefoot pushing his bike, he'd walked about 10km and was nearly back to where he was staying, he was on clinchers (carried one spare tube but no repair kit, punctured twice)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

sungod wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 pm
if you can't seal it with tufo extreme then chances are it won't seal, i.e. a large cut

with a tufo tub (no separate inner tube), perhaps you could use the same plugs/worms used for tubeless, but you'd have to be riding tufo tubs, meh

if it's a normal tub with a separate inner tube that's it, you may find it holds at lower pressure to get home on, if not you can...
- remove it and fit your spare pre-glued tub (i.e. one of the <160g tufo ones, they fold up small)
- ride it home flat, if it's not a long way (and not too steep/fast!) and the road surface is good this is ok, but with a flat tub you could damage the rim on bad road surface/debris
- get a taxi/other ride/walk back

last year i stopped when i saw a guy walking barefoot pushing his bike, he'd walked about 10km and was nearly back to where he was staying, he was on clinchers (carried one spare tube but no repair kit, punctured twice)
darn it! tufo elite jet was the thing i forgot to also order... must be losing my mind...

sungod

by sungod

i got mine in 2012, always carry it when rding tubs

think i used it twice so far, first time was when i discovered pitstop didn't work

probably time i reglued it...

addictR1

by addictR1

The tufo elite jet I see it’s advertised as puncture resistant. Is it fairly good?

We got some really shady roads usually with broken glass and various other debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

it's the one i use

pretty much every tyre is "puncture resistant", it's a lightweight race tyre, you could cary a heavier spare but where do you stop? gatorskins puncture too

the layered construction is all bonded together, effectively it's a tubeless tub, if necessary you can use sealant in them, but with the tubeless-like construction i'd think they can also be plugged

as it's the spare i've only ridden it a couple of times, can't really judge ride as the pressure i was running at was only around 6 bar which is a bit low

bear in mind it's a really skinny tyre and it's unlikely that tufo's recommended pressure could be achieved with a minipump, so it's going to deform more, on narrow rims i had no issues, but on wide rims i imagine it might roll a bit and maybe more risk of dinging the exposed rim edges on debris or potholes, sunken/raised ironwork etc.

addictR1

by addictR1

Did a 19 miles ride yesterday and the seal seemed to work. Today went out on a 33 miles ride and all was well till after my descent while rolling on the flats coasting I suddenly hear a hissing sound.

Orange seal sealed it after a while leaving me with 80psi. Got to LBS pumped it up... and tried to ride home... after 1/4 miles... this time a pop sound and the hole is big now.

Guess time to replace. Bummer as I only had about 300 miles or so on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk