your experience with tubulars and flats

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

Ive finally made the transition to from clinchers to tubulars after riding a friends tubs. i liked the feeling its gives as if your on supple firm clouds. But i want to know if your flating increased or stayed the same on tubulars. i know both can flat i get that, but unlike clinchers where all you have to do is put a new tube in with tubulars it isnt the case. Idk if like the idea of haveing to replace or repair a whole tire at 75 dollors a pop.

Also, how do you deal with flats are there alternatives to vittoria pitt stop, like maybe patches or soething like that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I can understand if you're feeling lazy after seeing the Transition to Tubulars thread has 43 pages. It's worth it though.
Less is more.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Quick summary - no point thinking of flat statistics. Sealant (liquid ones) or spare tire if it happens. Pitstop works half the time and can be messy and not a permanent solution so forget it.

Any more details, refer to the proper tubular thread...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sungod

by sungod

tubs are no more likely to flat than a clincher of the same materials, thickness etc. with the same type of inner tube - arguably less likely as snakebite is more common on clinchers

tufo extreme can fix most flats, carry a preglued lightweight tub for worst case (not much bulkier than an inner tube), decent tubs can be repaired, there's a whole thread on the subject

atakaoka

by atakaoka

If I can find the hole I open and fix It normally is a big leak.
If it's a small leak I put sealant.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

KCookie

by KCookie

I carry a 160g tuffo tyre and change a flat on the side of the road in a matter of minutes as I use tape, can't be bothered to use sealant until I get home. I used to flat more on clinchers but find it quicker and easier to change the tyre than an inner tube.

mrgray

by mrgray

brush tyres with hand - very effective. keeps nasty things off tyre that may eventually penetrate. otherwise similar to clinchers i'd reckon. sealant (tufo extreme) works well. but safe to say once the sealant goes in the tyre is on the way out (months, not days).
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

robertbb

by robertbb

KCookie wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am
I carry a 160g tuffo tyre and change a flat on the side of the road in a matter of minutes as I use tape, can't be bothered to use sealant until I get home. I used to flat more on clinchers but find it quicker and easier to change the tyre than an inner tube.
I'm still a little confused with this. When you pull off the punctured tyre, the tape (carogna) is designed to come off the rim cleanly.

So you have a clean rim.

Does one carry a length of tape with the spare tubular (e.g. Tufo jet 160), and apply that tape to the rim before fitting the replacement? :noidea:

KCookie

by KCookie

No, I just ride home carefully without tape, or if the tape stays on the rim just carry on riding.

robertbb

by robertbb

KCookie wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:17 am
No, I just ride home carefully without tape, or if the tape stays on the rim just carry on riding.

Right. Do you pre-glue the replacement?

2old4this

by 2old4this

KCookie wrote:

Seems like taking a bit of risk...

I carry a tube of Stans and a pre-glued spare tire. If Stans doesn't fix it, I change the tire.

RussellS

by RussellS

I can't understand why someone would carry a spare tubular that is not preglued with glue on the basetape. It would not be as good as having a base layer of glue on the rim. But even on a bare rim, the dried glue would still stick somewhat to the rim.
Last edited by RussellS on Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCookie

by KCookie

robertbb wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:35 am
KCookie wrote:

Right. Do you pre-glue the replacement?
Nope. !!

KCookie

by KCookie

2old4this wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:35 am
KCookie wrote:

Seems like taking a bit of risk...

I carry a tube of Stans and a pre-glued spare tire. If Stans doesn't fix it, I change the tire.
I do carry a little orange seal, but the two punctures I've had I've just changed the tyre and kept riding. It's quicker. Then when I get home I can use the orange seal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I carry Orange Seal. My wife has flatted twice I the last couple years and we've been back on the road in a few minutes. I've only had one flat in that same time and, unfortunately, it was on the sidewall so I was doomed anyway.

Pitstop is fine but temporary (meaning it's useless in less than 24 hrs). I've had pretty good life out of Orange Seal (6+ months of use)