Reynolds Assault/Attack disc wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seve88

by seve88

Pondering a set as I like the sound of a (limited ) lifetime warranty.

Any experiences to share of either model?

I normally ride Hed Ardenne disc wheels with a 25mm GP4000S tyre and do like the way it fills out to almost 28mm. The Reynolds have a narrower internal width so would also like to know how much effective tyre width I may lose.

Thanks.

Beaver

by Beaver

17mm inner width mean only 1mm less tire width but a big sacrifice in ride quality. The tire flanks stand less straight and you will need to use more pressure to avoid a squishy ride, which results in less comfort and a higher rolling resistance on rough tarmac. 23mm tires are the maximum for 17C rims.

The 3mm higher rims will be a very low one digit watt difference at 45km/h (when 450 watts are needed overall).

Would not recommend. :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Hed for windy days Strikes for calm and fast?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

seve88

by seve88

The Attack are only 30mm and Assault 4mm so more likely all round use and keep the Hed for spare.

However, now thinking I might go with something like Hunt Aero30 and put up with a shorter warranty.

otoman

by otoman

I have Hed Belgiums and Reynold Attacks, both rim brakes.

The cornering and ride comfort with 25mm Conti GP 4K sII, latex tubes is as you’d expect, fantastic. They are not the snappiest wheels to accelerate, but man, oh so reliable.

I have found the cornering and comfort of the Reynolds to be on par with the Belgiums using both a Conti/latex setup as well as tubeless with Spesh S-works turbo 26’s. I recently moved to a 24mm front tubeless and found the cornering that little bit quicker, I’m assuming because of the slight difference in trail.... maybe placebo. Ride comfort is probably a little more stiff on the tubeless at equivalent pressures, of course you’re supposed to drop pressure on tubeless and larger volume tire.

Side note: the blue tubeless tape that the Reynolds come with works well on initial install of clinchers then switching to tubeless. When I moved to the smaller front tubeless, something about the install or the crappy Finish Line sealant caused a lot of squirm of the tape. The pressure wouldn’t hold. So I had to take the tire off, clean out the goo, put in new Stan’s tape, remount, inject Stan’s sealant, inflate. Perfect. My experience could have been user error of course, but it seemed the re-used tape and Finish Line sealant wasn’t a good combo.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

otoman

by otoman

I have Hed Belgiums and Reynold Attacks, both rim brakes.

The cornering and ride comfort with 25mm Conti GP 4K sII, latex tubes is as you’d expect, fantastic. They are not the snappiest wheels to accelerate, but man, oh so reliable.

I have found the cornering and comfort of the Reynolds to be on par with the Belgiums using both a Conti/latex setup as well as tubeless with Spesh S-works turbo 26’s. I recently moved to a 24mm front tubeless and found the cornering that little bit quicker, I’m assuming because of the slight difference in trail.... maybe placebo. Ride comfort is probably a little more stiff on the tubeless at equivalent pressures, of course you’re supposed to drop pressure on tubeless and larger volume tire.

Side note: the blue tubeless tape that the Reynolds come with works well on initial install of clinchers then switching to tubeless. When I moved to the smaller front tubeless, something about the install or the crappy Finish Line sealant caused a lot of squirm of the tape. The pressure wouldn’t hold. So I had to take the tire off, clean out the goo, put in new Stan’s tape, remount, inject Stan’s sealant, inflate. Perfect. My experience could have been user error of course, but it seemed the re-used tape and Finish Line sealant wasn’t a good combo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Oh and the Attacks accelerate wonderfully, climb like a dream, corner very confidently.

Braking with the Cryo blue pads is very close to alloy and stock Shimano/Campy pads. Wet braking is not scary. Of course your disc choice makes this a non-issue....