Compass Cayuse Pass real width on wide rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I have a pair of Light-Bycicle RR46C02 (21mm ID) rims ordered and want to try a set of tires lighter than my current Pro Ones (25mm claimed, ~28mm measured on 20mm ID rims). The Compass Cayuse Pass EL 26mm looks like an interesting option, but I couldn't find how wide exactly the tire runs on wide rims. The response from Compass wasn't too helpful:
While I do not have a measured with of the Cayuse pass tires when mounted, I can tell you they will not be larger than 28mm. Our tires typically run true to listed size, or slightly smaller depending on the model.
Any relevant info will be appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I can tell you that my Grand Bois Cerf Vert 28mm tires come out to 30mm on 18c rims, so I'd expect the 26mm Cerf Bleu to be 28mm on the same rims.

The Grand Bois tires are also made by Panaracer with the same tech as the Compass ones. Jan Heine used to be the importer before he created his own brand.

pushstart

by pushstart

My Compass tires all measure pretty close to the nominal sizes. I have some Yishin 21mm (internal) hookless rims and the 44mm Snoqualmie Pass tires measire right at 44mm. My 700x38 Barlow Pass measured 37mm on 19mm inner-width rims.

I love my big (fast!) Compass tires on my commuter/do-everything bike, but I wouldn't give up tubeless for the smaller sizes. I also have the RR46C02 wheels on my road bike and was using Pro One 28mm tires and now the 28mm S-Works Turbo 2bliss. The Schwalbe were a little bigger (the S-Works only measure 28-29mm, whereas Pro Ones were 30-31mm), but the S-Works feel great (maybe faster, though it's probably a difference that is lost in the noise). Both tires are great choices. I can't imagine running smaller than a 28 anymore. Or tubes, honestly.

If Compass did a smaller tire (32mm? 28mm?) tubeless, I would likely switch to using those. The 35mm tubeless-compatible BJP (if it clears my fork) is sometimes tempting too for the road bike, but then I might as well ride my gravel bike with the bigger tires!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a pair to see for myself. If anything goes wrong, I can always put the 25mm Pro Ones back. Will report the actual width when the wheels are built in a couple of months.

Marin

by Marin

pushstart wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:49 am
tubeless-compatible BJP
Be careful, I had a tubeless BJP blow off a RRU35C02 *after* a fast descent and have been running them with tubes since. Sub 3 bars pressure, no warnings.

Marin

by Marin

Gratuitious pic of the setup:

pushstart

by pushstart

Marin wrote:
pushstart wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 2:49 am
tubeless-compatible BJP
Be careful, I had a tubeless BJP blow off a RRU35C02 *after* a fast descent and have been running them with tubes since. Sub 3 bars pressure, no warnings.
Yikes. Glad you are ok.

So this was after they had "blessed" the BJP for tubeless? Wonder if others have had problems with the BP or SP tires blowing off. I run both of these around 42/46 psi.

Marin

by Marin

Yes, bought them as TL ready or whatever Jan calls it. IIRC I wasn't the only one.

pushstart

by pushstart

Marin wrote:Yes, bought them as TL ready or whatever Jan calls it. IIRC I wasn't the only one.
Yeah, I saw some other references to this. That is definitely scary. Was this rim-brake bike? -- wondering why the descent would have triggered the blowoff (vs sitting in your garage).

I'll stick with the bigger tires and hope they sorted out whatever that issue was. Other than wanting to fit a tubeless compass tire on my road bike I don't really have any reason to ride less than 38/40mm anymore anyway.

Marin

by Marin

See the bike above. No idea if the descent triggered it or it was random timing.

BTW I've now been running Panaracer-made 42mm Pacenti Pari Motos tubeless for a few 100k now without issues.

emotive

by emotive

pushstart wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Wonder if others have had problems with the BP or SP tires blowing off. I run both of these around 42/46 psi.
When I initially set up the Bon Jon Pass Extralite (Tubeless ready) tyres up, one blew off the rim overnight, before it had even been ridden - sealant everywhere. I re-sealed it and it's been fine for 9 months and about 1500km. I run them at 40/45psi.

pushstart

by pushstart

Good to know!

I haven't had any compass tires blow off yet - knock on wood. A couple thousand miles on Barlow Pass (standard casing) and probably around 1k miles on Snoqualmie Pass (extralight). I probably won't bother with the narrower BJP, as it's likely too big for my road bike and I like the bigger tires on my gravel/commuter bike.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

And the answer is ~26.85mm. That's ~2mm more narrow than my Pro Ones and 0.18mm too thick for 105% rule. I wonder how the ride will change.

Marin

by Marin

emotive wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:53 am
When I initially set up the Bon Jon Pass Extralite (Tubeless ready) tyres up, one blew off the rim overnight, before it had even been ridden - sealant everywhere. I re-sealed it and it's been fine for 9 months and about 1500km. I run them at 40/45psi.
Hmm, good to hear - I mounted my BJPs with latex tubes yesterday, but I'm considering giving tubeless another try.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

Klaster1 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:40 am
And the answer is ~26.85mm. That's ~2mm more narrow than my Pro Ones and 0.18mm too thick for 105% rule. I wonder how the ride will change.
Do share your thoughts once you've put a few rides in. I have considered the Cayuse Pass for use on the Light Bicycle wheels. I have the 28mm Compass Chinook Pass on RR36C02 hookless 22C inner. They measure ~30mm wide, not optimal for aero, but I hesitate to go narrower now that i've been enjoyed the extra comfort of 28mm tyres for a couple of years.