Mavic Road UST Appreciation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pocari123

by pocari123

Been using road tubeless for about a year now and been dreading everytime I need a tire change.

Mounted a Yksion UST tire on my Open Pro’s today. Tire went in with minimal cursing. Tire inflated to 85psi with a dinky floor pump because I left the floor pump with tank in my car. No sealant inside either.

I've never felt this happy before.

(Hey Mavic when do I get my check?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

Yes, the Yksion UST tires mount by hand on my Mavic Ksyrium UST as well but I couldn't get the Schwalbe One's to mount even with 2 levers and had to send them back. This could be an issue for some people. Hutchinson Galactik's TLR also mount the same as the Yksions.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I've heard you can mount some non-Mavic tubeless tires on UST wheels still easily, but anybody ever tried the opposite? I mean, when using wheels from Roval, Bontrager, ENVE, Zipp and going with tubeless, is Yksion UST any easier than other tires?

I already purchased rather an expensive wheelset and hate to replace it by Mavic so early!

pocari123

by pocari123

zefs wrote:Yes, the Yksion UST tires mount by hand on my Mavic Ksyrium UST as well but I couldn't get the Schwalbe One's to mount even with 2 levers and had to send them back. This could be an issue for some people. Hutchinson Galactik's TLR also mount the same as the Yksions.
I also had moderate success with the Galactiks but definitely not as easy as the yksion ust's.

Word of warning about the Galactiks though, they don't last very long (about 500 miles when they started to look very worn) and they're quite thin so it's pretty easy to get a puncture. Enough of those and you'll come across one that won't seal. My Galactiks didn't seal during my morning ride today which is why I had to mount some yksion ust's I've had lying around.

pocari123

by pocari123

Cemicar wrote:I've heard you can mount some non-Mavic tubeless tires on UST wheels still easily, but anybody ever tried the opposite? I mean, when using wheels from Roval, Bontrager, ENVE, Zipp and going with tubeless, is Yksion UST any easier than other tires?

I already purchased rather an expensive wheelset and hate to replace it by Mavic so early!
I will be trying to mount some Yksion UST's on a set of Hunt wheels tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I mount IRC tyres and the mavics to most rims as easily as each other. I can't mount the yskions to the op rim by hand easily but it not a battle either.

The yskions tyres though seem to wear quickly and are cutting up alot for me. Otherwise they are doing o.k

commendatore

by commendatore

I would recommend anyone struggling with tubeless take the cost of one tire and spend it on an air compressor. I don’t even mount tubed tires with a floor pump anymore.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Soapy water helps too with mounting and seating.

pocari123

by pocari123

Cemicar wrote:I've heard you can mount some non-Mavic tubeless tires on UST wheels still easily, but anybody ever tried the opposite? I mean, when using wheels from Roval, Bontrager, ENVE, Zipp and going with tubeless, is Yksion UST any easier than other tires?

I'm actually thinking it might be the mavic tires! Just mounted a pair of 25c yksion pro ust's on a set of Hunt 3650 carbon wheels. Took a little more effort than my open pros but still much easier than mounting gp4k's. Haven't ridden them yet but the mounting process is very user friendly. No tank or soapy water needed. Inflated the tires using a normal floor pump without sealant and then again with sealant

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's pretty much any of the new Hutchinson-manufactured tires. Mavic Yksion Pro UST, Zipp Tangente Speed RT25/28, Hutchinson Fusion 5.

They can all be mounted or removed by hand.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How come I have not found that. Not hard to mount but not super easy either. They are the right size though for most rims.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

pocari123 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm actually thinking it might be the mavic tires! Just mounted a pair of 25c yksion pro ust's on a set of Hunt 3650 carbon wheels. Took a little more effort than my open pros but still much easier than mounting gp4k's. Haven't ridden them yet but the mounting process is very user friendly. No tank or soapy water needed. Inflated the tires using a normal floor pump without sealant and then again with sealant
Sweet. I'll definitely try Yksion once my current tires wear out.

They've been manufactured by Hutchinson, but I read Fusion is a bit harder to inflate than Yksion and indeed it often sells a bit more pricey.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Which ones do you think are more expensive? The Hutchinsons are much cheaper from Starbike.

zefs

by zefs

I had this happened with Yksion UST recently, must have been unlucky:
https://i.imgur.com/AwoiZ6m.jpg

About 2000k's on it, a tiny cut makes it bulge when inflated for some reason.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 am
Which ones do you think are more expensive? The Hutchinsons are much cheaper from Starbike.
Not aware Starbike offers Fusion 5 Galactik TLR at just 36.9€!

I think it's depending on where we live though. Hutchinson tires are actually more expensive in my country (it's strange given how Mavic otherwise is pricey here).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com