Mavic Road UST Appreciation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zefs

by zefs

Here's the rolling resistance test for the Yksion's:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... o-ust-2018

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

zefs wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm
I had this happened with Yksion UST recently, must have been unlucky:
https://i.imgur.com/AwoiZ6m.jpg

About 2000k's on it, a tiny cut makes it bulge when inflated for some reason.
Just an update, after contacting Mavic they said it's not safe to ride with this tire and they replaced it (local dealer).
They responded within a day and after a week the new tire was on the dealer's shop.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

zefs wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:13 pm
zefs wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm
I had this happened with Yksion UST recently, must have been unlucky:
https://i.imgur.com/AwoiZ6m.jpg

About 2000k's on it, a tiny cut makes it bulge when inflated for some reason.
Just an update, after contacting Mavic they said it's not safe to ride with this tire and they replaced it (local dealer).
They responded within a day and after a week the new tire was on the dealer's shop.
Just been riding with a guy who had similar and was covered by Mavic and their warranty. Nice to see as its always an unknown with tyres.

zefs

by zefs

Well it happened again on another tire but I just used a pin to deflate the bulge and rode the tire without issues.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Cemicar wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 6:17 pm
I've heard you can mount some non-Mavic tubeless tires on UST wheels still easily, but anybody ever tried the opposite? I mean, when using wheels from Roval, Bontrager, ENVE, Zipp and going with tubeless, is Yksion UST any easier than other tires?

I already purchased rather an expensive wheelset and hate to replace it by Mavic so early!
FWIW The Yksion Pro UST tires mounted on a set of LightBicycle tubeless rims as nicely as they do on Mavic rims. Went on with just the right amount of resistance and seated with one stroke of a standard floor pump.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Stueys

by Stueys

Fitted a set of Conti 5000TL to my non-UST, tubeless compatible rims. Don't know what Conti have done to that tyre but it went on very easily, less painful than my UST set up. I'm toying with dumping the Yksion Pro and moving to Conti when the current ones wear.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:09 pm
How come I have not found that. Not hard to mount but not super easy either. They are the right size though for most rims.
User error? I could get them on with my thumbs/palms and everyone else at the shop I work at shits on me for my weak tire mounting skills.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

First ride on Comete SL UST’s.
Recently I’ve been riding EBay £200 55mm wheels, Zonda’s snd Cosmic C 40mm from 2014.
I’ve ridden lots of nice wheels over the years but it’s hard to compare unless you’ve ridden in the last few days.
My legs were terrible today which didn’t help but I was really impressed with the wheels. They had the comfort of the Zonda’s with GP4000’s and speed of the 55’s.
They were far less effected in cross winds that the 55’s and were stiffer out of the saddle.
They gave the bike a confidence inspiring solid and quiet feel.
I wish I had something in my legs to really push them today but I’ll have to wait.
If money was tight and I didn’t get a staff price on the Mavics the £200 eBay wheels would definitely do the job. The Comete’s were quieter and smoother but speed wise there wasn’t much in it.
If I had to guess I’d think I’d save a minute or so on my rolling 50 mile ride and half of this would be down to the tubeless tyres on a 15 mile stretch of road.
It’s good to know that I can realistically buy any wheels that will make me quicker now so that box is ticked.
Set up was easy, valve core out, sealant in and inflate.
Braking was good but not up to the level of the Zonda’s.
Tubeless wise I’ve used Vittoria Graphene and Schwalbe ones on gravel, the Vittorias were a nightmare with constant flats and no sealing unless the tyres were at 50psi. The Schwalbe One 28mm’s have been great, the Mavic tyres felt very plush and Ive no complaints.
Are they worth £1800 at RRP? I guess that’s up to the individual. I would say they’re worth spending £200-£300 more than on Flo, Hunt, Cero etc. They have a quality feel and they inspire confidence.
The freehub is silky smooth and quiet.
I’d happily recommend them if you can get them with decent discount. Don’t be put of by the 64mm depth, it was breezy today and they felt more stable then any 50mm carbon clinchers I’ve used in the past, no problems at all or scary moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerdan

by bikerdan

They look good. Do they come with the strips to make the airflow better between the tyre and rim? I think hambini mentioned that was a really aero solution

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Paperboy

by Paperboy

tarmackev, nice review. I'm looking at picking up the regular, non-SL version of these rims. I currently have the cosmic pro carbon (non-SL). I'm impressed with the plush feeling and low rolling resistance. The bearings even feel smooth. It seems the main differences between the SL and non-SL are the bearings, nipples and skewers. Those items are all made from lighter material, which saves 200g over the non-SL. I can't seem to find much info on the differences in bearings. I also wonder it I'll lose rigidity when pedaling out of the saddle if I move from the cosmic to the comete. It seems the taller a carbon rim's profile, the weaker it becomes.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

bikerdan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 pm
They look good. Do they come with the strips to make the airflow better between the tyre and rim? I think hambini mentioned that was a really aero solution

No strips to improve air flow.
After a few more rides including a windy chain gang I'm more impressed, really good in the cross winds. Just a very solid and fast wheel.
Riding them in the rain tomorrow. Will check braking etc.

skidrrr

by skidrrr

Just bought new Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon UST for my wife
I'm deeply surprised how well UST systems works. I was able to inflate tyres using my normal floor pump. No issues at all.
Weight wise, this setup was slightly heavier than her previous one but well flats are worse than 370gr of extra weight

bikerdan

by bikerdan

tarmackev wrote:
bikerdan wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:42 pm

No strips to improve air flow.
After a few more rides including a windy chain gang I'm more impressed, really good in the cross winds. Just a very solid and fast wheel.
Riding them in the rain tomorrow. Will check braking etc.
Interested to hear your experiences in the rain. Some seem to really rate mavics others not so much.

I'm around 70kg. Too light for rims these deep or not? Wish mavic would do something around 50mm. But maybe they decided in makes little difference in watts hence 40mm or 64mm

Paperboy

by Paperboy

I finally got to experience the affect crosswinds have on rims today. I'm currently on the Cosmic Pro UST (40mm). The winds were noticeable, but nothing crazy; my guess is it was between 10-12mph. I first noticed the steering felt funny. It felt like something was off with my tire pressures. I had just ran over a goat-head, but it sealed quickly and easily. I popped off the bike and took pressures. I only lost 4psi in the front (from 86 to 82psi); the rear remaind the same at 86. I hopped back on the bike and could still sense something didn't feel right. I then realized it's somewhat windy, and the direction of the wind is coming from multiple directions. It was then I realized it's the wind catching on the wheels. This was quite an epiphany for me. If my 40mm wheels are catching on winds of this speed, what would 64mm Comete Pro do...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Ive ridden the Comete's over the last few days. Wind around 20mph with gusts up to 25mph and they were very good, certainly nothing to worry about.
Still very impressed. I only rode them in damp weather. Braking was decent too, not alloy level but no problems of any kind.