Lightweight meilenstein 24E schwarz

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Calnago wrote:
Is it the “Lightweight character” or the “tubular character” you’re referring to?
For my impressions of the Meilenstein clinchers, it could be tubular vs clincher. I haven't been on clinchers in a long long time, but my former pro friend rides clinchers and felt the Meilenstein felt sluggish compared to his normal wheels.

Regarding the tubular version vs other wheels. That is an interesting question because I admittedly have different tires on them than my other wheels and that certainly contributes to the ride impressions. I'm sure the 22mm tires improve the liveliness and general exciting feel of the LW. But, I haven't been on 22mm tires in awhile so my recollection of others is a bit hazy. Last set I had was on the CCU. My impression of the CCUs was that they had a lot of the snap and liveliness of the LW while being harsh and felt slow. They roll like they're lubed with peanut butter (my general impression of all mavic wheels I've ridden).

The Gipfelsturms have similar front stiffness to Bora 35s, so out of the saddle on steep climbs they don't flex/fold like most other shallow carbon rims, but even with 22mm tires, they're nearly as comfortable as Boras with 25s. They also feel like they roll very fast. That's a characteristic that eludes a lot of wheels, particularly with narrow tires. So, in combination of those traits, I feel that makes them special.

Lastly, regarding braking, mine are extremely smooth. They're close to Nemesis in the smoothness of braking category, just with a little less power. But, they're smoother than Boras, which are very good in their own regard.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I am about to pull the trigger on a pair of 24E tubulars. I have lusted over LW's for years and have the opportunity now, so... Wondering what those in the know think vis-a-vis 16/20 vs 20/20. I weight 82kg, and am not tough on my equipment. The extra two front spokes add 15g ( less than a swallow from the water bottle), but not sure how the 'sturdier' build might affect the ride. Thank you in advance for any thoughts!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

16/20 will be fine at your weight. It is a sturdy enough wheelset already.

ebsilon

by ebsilon

vamoots58 wrote:Wondering what those in the know think vis-a-vis 16/20 vs 20/20. I weight 82kg, and am not tough on my equipment.....
If I should invest in a new pair of LW I would choose 20/20 instead of 16/20.

I am 75kg and can put ok high power down in the wheels during acceleration and sprint.

I know LW has rated a system weight of rider AND bike for MAX 100kg for 16/20.

The 20/20 is rated for MAX 120kg.

So if you are a 82 kg guy and can put down some power I think you should go for the 20/20.

Just my thoughts and experience......

Ciaoooo

E
Speed of Lite

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I have the 16/20 version. I’m 80kg at the moment. I’ve not tried the 20/20 version but I’m very happy with the stifffness of the set I have. I’ve taken them to the Pyrenees and they felt great descending into corners. They also feel great putting in efforts climbing. I get no brake rub and I can run the shoes close to the rims with these wheels. On top of this they still feel incredibly comfortable which you’d think is a contradiction. I’d be interested to try the 20/20’s but I wonder if you lose a little comfort for unnecessary extra stiffness.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Actually did it today, pulled the trigger on the 24E Tubulars. I gather it will take a month or so to get them. Super psyched, feeling a little guilty, such a nice wheelset for a slow, old man like me... A 54th Birthday gift from my significantly better half!!

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Seems like the new Mavic new Cosmic Ultimate UST would be a better option in general than the LW Meilenstein 24E clincher?
100% better braking
similar look with carbon rim/spokes/hubs
u shaped wider rims with similar height
comparable weight
cheaper

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes, they do look interesting and a possible competitor. Also Syncros' new silverton has a potential to have a Road version soon...... Always good to have options in this space vs. being forced to go with lightweights and the Areo sacrifices you get with their build process.
bruno2000 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:25 pm
Seems like the new Mavic new Cosmic Ultimate UST would be a better option in general than the LW Meilenstein 24E clincher?
100% better braking
similar look with carbon rim/spokes/hubs
u shaped wider rims with similar height
comparable weight
cheaper

kavitator

by kavitator

I will post here because its LW topic - just weighted new set of LW Fernweg clincher disc brake
Weight was 1830grams for set :shock: :shock:

Wheelset clincher 60mm front 80mm rear - that heavy? Why buy this thing that cost around 6000EUR ???
And disc brake version has brake track (one mould for all rims)?

:noidea:

sungod

by sungod

clinchers are heavier, disc heavier still, why discs on a deep wheel? seems unlikely to see a lot of mountains, but disc clinchers are the fashion these days, marketing must see that people will buy

ww == tubs with rim brake :)

kavitator

by kavitator

Agree with loweight tubulars and rim brakes - clinchers are just for visual and aero....heavy rims with almost nothing "whoooosh whooosh " sound.

Looks like LW has made very strong rims....but i can get lowerweight with classic wheelset (same depth and wider rims)

I was little in shock when holding them...just heavy