Vittoria corsa g+ tub valave size ?? 40mm rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

im getting a pair of 40mm deep tubulars but im not sure which valve extender size i need. are the vitoria valve extenders any good? or do yo guys reccomend any? and what size extention is needed for 40mm? thanks in advanced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

for these tubs you need the extenders designed for generic removable valve cores (not the older style vittoria ones designed for their swappable stems)

like these...

https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/vitto ... 07311.html

...i like the vittoria ones because they come with a metal core tool, these last indefinitely, unlike the plastic ones

30mm extenders will be fine, you could go a bit shorter, depends to some extent on your pump head

i found my lightweight and conti extenders which worked fine on veloflex stems didn't seal so well on the g+ stems, i had to add some ptfe tape to prevent a slow leak, but the vittoria extenders had slightly larger o-rings and sealed fine without tape

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I used contis with my vittoria tubs. Make sure that you put plumber tape over the threads and try how well they keep air before you glue them on. I had a leaky extender before and it was impossible to replace or fix it without removing the tub.

EDIT: I recommend the park tool metal VC-1 core / extender tool.

EDIT 2: These are the ones I used. They are available in many different sizes so you can pick the best length:
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Cont ... B00BCUAWS2
Last edited by nemeseri on Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Allen254

by Allen254

sungod wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:07 am
for these tubs you need the extenders designed for generic removable valve cores (not the older style vittoria ones designed for their swappable stems)

like these...

https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/vitto ... 07311.html

...i like the vittoria ones because they come with a metal core tool, these last indefinitely, unlike the plastic ones

30mm extenders will be fine, you could go a bit shorter, depends to some extent on your pump head

i found my lightweight and conti extenders which worked fine on veloflex stems didn't seal so well on the g+ stems, i had to add some ptfe tape to prevent a slow leak, but the vittoria extenders had slightly larger o-rings and sealed fine without tape
thanks for that info, is air leakage always a problem with tubs or valve extenders in general ??

Allen254

by Allen254

nemeseri wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:10 am
I used contis with my vittoria tubs. Make sure that you put plumber tape over the threads and try how well they keep air before you glue them on. I had a leaky extender before and it was impossible to replace or fix it without removing the tub.

EDIT: I recommend the park tool metal VC-1 core / extender tool.

EDIT 2: These are the ones I used. They are available in many different sizes so you can pick the best length:
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-Cont ... B00BCUAWS2
sweet thanks and I'll make sure to check before glueing them on hadn't even thought of that smh lol

sungod

by sungod

Allen254 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:40 am
thanks for that info, is air leakage always a problem with tubs or valve extenders in general ??
no different from clinchers with extenders, if the seal is good then the extender makes no difference

if you've not ridden tyres with latex tubes before, what you will notice is they lose pressure faster than butyl, typically 1-2 bar over 24 hours, you need to top up pressure before every ride

the other thing with the g+ tyres is to ensure you apply enough tension/pressure on the area around the valve when you mount the tyres...

they don't need stretching before mounting, but the ease of fitting makes it easy to fall into the trap of taking it easy on the first section, this can leave the valve area not in good contact with the rim bed, then you get an annoying 'tic' once per rev as glue sticks/unsticks, drove me crazy the first time i used them, had to remove both tubs and remount

i suggest dry mount first and see if that area stands proud, with some rims it may be worth trimming the basetape around the valve stem to get a better fit

LouisN

by LouisN

I also use Conti extenders on the 40 mm tub rims. I use 30 mm but 20 mm would even be better I think. Less rattle...

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com