Disc brakes - swapping wheels without ANY adjustment to brakes/mech etc.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

How much would you charge for one or two sets of shims to Europe/ UK?

NovemberDave

by NovemberDave

I checked Germany, Italy, France, and England and they are all $15 shipping for one or two packs of shims. That's $2 more than the product costs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

Shimming is pretty dead simple. I use the Syntace shims since my hubs are 6-bolt. I have 3 sets of wheels for my gravel/commuter and do not need to adjust my brakes when swapping wheels. There is one wheel that requires a few clicks of RD tension adjustment, though.

Estafeta

by Estafeta

We are giving shipping service between the USA to Mexico. If you want to ship your goods, please call us and give us your order we will ship your goods safely.
MLM shipping

Svetty

by Svetty

I'm going to try modifying an inboard 1mm Shimano 10sd cassette spacer. The diameter just needs enlarging a smidgen to clear the CL spines.
The trick will be reducing the thickness evenly - assuming the shim needs to be less than a full mm.

C36

by C36

Edit

Svetty

by Svetty

Update: I can confirm that the cassette spacer works fine with a slight enlargement of the hole. Luckily the thickness was spot on for me to now swap wheels without the disc rubbing. Funnily enough the rear didn't need shimming....

billythestickboy

by billythestickboy

Resurrecting an old thread but I've managed to shim the wheels on my bikes now. Just wondering if people do anything about the pads? To they need bedding in again or should I maybe be switching the pads over?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

billythestickboy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:53 am
Resurrecting an old thread but I've managed to shim the wheels on my bikes now. Just wondering if people do anything about the pads? To they need bedding in again or should I maybe be switching the pads over?
I don't do anything. I have 4-1/2 sets of wheels for my bike, I just swap and go. Never been an issue. Hydraulic brakes are pretty good about adjusting to minor differences in rotor offset, and I've never had any issues with pads.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

billythestickboy

by billythestickboy

Cool thanks.