Help me pick a front wheel.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tnkn

by tnkn

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new front wheel for my TT bike.

I've been looking at a HED Jet 6 plus and Zipp 404 Firecrest Carbon Clincher. I'm going to be running the wheels tubeless which pretty much rules the Zipp out.

I hear the HED is a very good option and feel like its the right choice, but looking for other opinions.

I'm quite a light rider so wouldn't want anything too deep paired up with my disc on the rear.

Thanks in advanced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Jet6 > 404.

I do like the 808, but feel 404 is not that steller. I currently use Enve7/Zipp Super9
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What other deeper front wheels have you ridden?

Zipp is quite stable in crosswinds. An 808 or 858 would be quite fast. I have an 88mm deep toroidal front and I'm pretty light at 63kg. Crosswind has some influence but it never pushes me off my line that I choose to ride.

Trispokes are better with varying wind conditions, but a deep spoked front is faster with wind straight ahead. (So I'm told... more area?)

/a

tnkn

by tnkn

I've never ridden anything deeper than 60mm front so can't comment on handling issues.

I'm also thinking of the Aero Coach 75mm front wheel - http://www.aero-coach.co.uk/store/produ ... ont-wheels

I know it's hard to answer question, but how much difference would the 75mm up front make in terms of handling compared to a 60mm?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Rim width 29mm and rim width at the brake track 25mm. That sounds absolutely amazing to me because it means the wheel will be very stable in crosswinds when the "pressure point" or whatever you call it is in the middle of the rim. (seen with the tire mounted on)

This means you can go deeper than you otherwise could and score a few watts saved, and you don't have to worry about soiling your bibs whenever you feel a windgust coming.

I don't however fall for the hype that the shape is a special recipe and that this brand alone knows it. This is a toroidal rim fair and simple. Buy any toroidal rim with similar dimensions and you'll get similar performance.

However! If the 60mm wheels (you didnt specify what they were) are toroidal and you don't like their stability, it could be that you are more sensitive than me and should limit yourself. In that case a trispoke might be the best for you.

/a

Hexsense

by Hexsense

pressure point balancing should be consider with rim+tire height/profile.
that means for shallower rim, tire is taller in relation to tire width, and the widest point should be toward brake track. While for the deep rim it CAN afford to be a bit lower....
That is if the tire is not wider than the rim. Otherwise the aero profile are screwed again and we may get more stable by using rounded V-shape that is as wide as the tire with smoother transition between tire and rim.

the very original toriodal shape rim was developed in the age of 19-27c. It is 27.5mm wide rim for 19-27c tubular (which don't run oversize).
https://silca.cc/blogs/journal/11517862 ... lete-story
now we are at 23-30c clincher that run oversize.

tnkn

by tnkn

Cheers for the info guys.

I've gone for the Aero Coach 75mm up front to match the AC disc I've ordered. Will report back on how I fare!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

tnkn wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 am
Cheers for the info guys.

I've gone for the Aero Coach 75mm up front to match the AC disc I've ordered. Will report back on how I fare!
Be aware that there's been quite a few issues with early supplies of the aerocoach disc.
Quality build doesn't spring to mind, regardless of the price, although Xav has been quick to sort any problems.
Official cafe stop tester