Light disc brake wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hiya,

need a little bit of help with wheels for my Izalco Max Disc (which was supposed to be my winter-only bike, but since the Cannondale is not built yet, I'm riding it... and finding it rather good).

I am looking for a carbon aero wheelset, tubular is fine, around 50mm, with a weight below 1300g. The narrower the rims, the better (I would prefer less than 25mm external width, it is a tight fit on the Focus...)

MCFKs are an option, but they are rather wide... in 55mm or 35 mm... wheelset weight with extralite hubs should be around 1400 for the 55s and 1200 for the 35s...

303 FCs in tubular would work, but not a large fan of ZIPP (had 303s previously...)

Any other tips?

Thank you.

joejack951

by joejack951

How many spokes front and rear do you plan on using? I'm building up some Farsports 23mm wide x 25mm deep tubular rims with Bitex hubs, 24 CX-Ray spokes front and rear. Wheelset weight is looking come in at just over 1100 grams with the rims contributing 507 grams of that (verified weights). Farsports makes a 23mm wide x 38mm deep rim at a claimed 320 grams each (http://www.farsports.cn/product/detail.php/id-249.html) which would keep you below 1300 grams for the wheelset even with the heavy (but cheap) Bitex hubs. Extralites will cut ~100 grams I believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have to agree with joejack. Because this is for a disc brake bike you can really save weight without compromising braking performance by going good quality chinese rims and spending more on the hubs.

Most of the development in expensive wheelsets goes to braking and aerodynamics. Aerodynamic performance can be obtained by copying the good brands which the chinese do fairly well. :lol: Braking research you don't need either because you run disc brakes.

If you can get over the fact that you might need to use rim brake rims on a disc brake wheelset then you can reap the benefits of weight and save $$$.

If you go the big brand way you will get a very stiff wheel usually. (They need to design a wheel that fits 90% of riders). It will come at a weight and price penalty. Performance will be very good. Weight is not everything.

For 38mm rims you don't need to worry much about crosswind stability. Any deeper though and I suggest toroidal rims. (zipp/enve and so on) Others might disagree on this but it's just my point of view.

/a

joejack951

by joejack951

Farsports made my rims without any brake track. They did try to add 30 grams of so-called reinforcement for use with disc brakes but I convinced them I'd be ok without it :D

Pics of my actual rims:

kofsw4

by kofsw4

mike001100 wrote:Hiya,

need a little bit of help with wheels for my Izalco Max Disc (I would prefer less than 25mm external width, it is a tight fit on the Focus...)

I'm surprised you're concerned about clearance. I've run 28c Schwalbe One tyres which ballooned out to 31+mm on my 20c inner width rims on my Izalco Max disc and there was room to spare...

Hexsense

by Hexsense

less than 25mm wide?
Is your tire narrower than 25mm as well? Good lord those are so tight and i'd worry about buying 21-22c to fit your frame in the next few years,

mike001100

by mike001100

Really? To me it seems like there is 2 - 3 mm each side with 23c tires inflated on wide rims so they measure 25c effectively... the Izalco definitely has much less clearance than my SuperSix Evo for example...

Thank you for pointing me to the Chinese carbon rims... it has sort of struck an idea: the last thing that is missing in my bike puzzle is "light, non aero wheels", as I have Mielensteins and Reynlods Aero 72s... I was thinking I either want to ride a bike with a light wheelset, or aero wheelset, not a "universal" wheelset which does everything, but nothing exceptionally. Since the Mielensteins are aero (how much is questionable) but fragile... I'm thinking about experimenting and getting a light wheelset for the Izalco, putting the Reynolds on my SuperSix and selling the Lightweights... which would either confirm my hypothesis I need 2 bikes (one aero and one climbing) or... mean that I need to pursue an "universal" wheelset...

To test this hypothesis, I figure I might as well try some chinese carbon rims, i.e. the farsports or lightbicycle rims mentioned:

Say 23 x 25mm rims or similar - around 650g
Extralite front and rear hubs - around 300g
Spokes - around 200 g

Total should be around 1 kg?

Opinions?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

38mm tubular rims 640gr
extralite hubs 212gr
spokes and nipples 48x5=240gr

without rotors, bolts and skewers ~1090gr. (Assuming 24+24 spokes cx-ray or similar. If you are a heavier or more powerful rider the rear wheel could use more/heavier spokes. If you want to go full weenie you can try Pillar Megalite SS/Sapim superspoke and save another 40gr maybe.)

JapanStan

by JapanStan

joejack951 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm
Farsports made my rims without any brake track. They did try to add 30 grams of so-called reinforcement for use with disc brakes but I convinced them I'd be ok without it :D

Pics of my actual rims:

Are they 30mm deep, or 25mm? Are 25mm wide rims good for 25mm tires, or 23mm wide ok?
Cheers

joejack951

by joejack951

JapanStan wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:21 am
Are they 30mm deep, or 25mm? Are 25mm wide rims good for 25mm tires, or 23mm wide ok?
Cheers
Those rims are 25mm deep, 23mm wide.

As far as matching tire width to rim width, for years no one cared. Now all of a sudden cyclists think they MUST do this. While I think it looks a little better, it is hardly a necessity. I plan to run 23mm tires on these rims but do note that they are tubulars and tubular tires don't react the same way on a rim as clinchers do. The former hold their shape more or less regardless of rim width so if you want to match the rim width the tire, you simply buy tires of the same width. With the latter clincher type, you need to account for how the tire will form to the rim which varies from one tire to the next. In general, you can expect a clincher to go one size up when mounted to a rim that is the same or slightly wider width than the tire itself.

Others with more experience will hopefully chime in. My experience is limited to my other 25mm wide tubular rims which have 25mm tires and these, plus a load of old style narrow clinchers.

JapanStan

by JapanStan

Thanks.. Maybe its time i went tubeless anyway...!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Besides tubulars there are also clinchers like Lightweight and Tune in that weight range:

https://en.tune.de/produkt/wheels/roadb ... -disc.html That's the 77 composites 41C disc rim (19C, 26x42mm)

According to Tour Mag. good aerodynamics and average stiffness 42/39Nm/mm (Zipp 303 Disc 33/33Nm/mm - Lighweight 60/45Nm/mm).

Or Light Bicycle 18C, 25x35mm: https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter ... c-Rim.html

You will have to stick with 23mm tires.

And I also thought the Izalco Max had more clearance...

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cat ... iew-49544/