Lightest weight road tubeless tyres...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I guess I should see if my Galactiks have stretched, because mine measured 27.8mm on 21mm 202 NSWs at 100psi (initial seat.)

It seemed like the 11Storm Galactiks needed about 40mi to break-in before they were supple feeling at 70-75psi. Grip feels exactly the same as the Performance as well. I think that there's truly only one 11Storm compound and the only difference between the Galactik, Performance and All-Seasons are tread thickness and more aggressive siping specific to the All-Seasons. None of them have aramid puncture belts or anything like that. The old versions claimed to be using three different compounds (HD 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3)

e: Yep, they've stretched to 28.3mm at 80psi now
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jhalmar

by jhalmar

extremejetfighter wrote:I weighed 2 schwalbe pro ones both 25c. They were 251 and 309g. :shock:

Is such a large weight discrepancy between two nominally identical tires...normal?
Not normal. I have two 28mm Pro Ones and those are 277g / 284g.

peted76

by peted76

I'll be coming to the end of my of 25mm Schwable Pro Ones shortly, I've stuck with them for years now and was considering plumping for another make of tyre..

Was considering going for a set of Hutchinson Fusion 5 Galactik 11Storm (seriously who comes up with a name like that, and if they are going to be soo silly, why refute grammar!)

Anyway, I use sealant, so I'm a bit confused as to why there is a 'tubeless ready' and a seperate 'tubeless' offering at what appears to be 45grams heavier available?
Can anyone enlighten me here? Which one should I choose?
Is there a better tyre on the market, I'm tempted to stick with what I know, but would like some differing opinions.

I don't care about wear rate as I don't put in more than 100miles a week.
I do care about: grip, weight, comfort & and to a lesser degree durability (as I live in the UK, roads are rarely smooth).

74kgs running 80/85psi F/R

Hexsense

by Hexsense

For Hutchinson,
"Tubeless" version has butyl (tube) layer inside the tyre. It could hold the pressure by its own without sealant. If used with tube, the butyl layers are redundant so it should be run tubeless only.
"Tubeless ready" version skip that butyl layer. It'll lose more pressure overtime and it always require sealant for running tubeless. You can run tubed without considerable penalty. Your Schwalbe Pro One is also build this way so you know how it works.

No doubt the Tubeless ready weight less and roll faster. It's an obvious choice for me... But the Fushion 5 Performance is more of my cup of tea than the Galaktic.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

4 miles into a 120mi ride and my Galactiks punctured...3mm cut, took a while to seal. After I thought it full sealed it ended up spraying ever so slightly for a few more miles before sealing permanently. Also got as nasty 5mm cut from a piece of glass that was still embedded in the tire when I got home. Somehow that didn't go through the casing.

Anyway I've discovered 3M 5200 marine/boat hull sealant and it's wonderful for repairing cuts. It's a paste that cures over 24 hours into a hard rubber consistency. It is very hard wearing and I'm thinking about repairing some old tires with it now.

I think the Fusion 5 Performance or Mavic Yksion Pros will remain my main summer tire, and Pirelli's new Cinturato in 30mm will be my winter tire.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

jhalmar wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:48 am
extremejetfighter wrote:I weighed 2 schwalbe pro ones both 25c. They were 251 and 309g. :shock:

Is such a large weight discrepancy between two nominally identical tires...normal?
Not normal. I have two 28mm Pro Ones and those are 277g / 284g.
my 25mm was about 280g, the same as my 28mm.. normal retail version, so they can be pretty out of the claimed weights..

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Peted76 the grippiest tyre I know is the IRC Formula Pro RBCC. Not the lightest though.

Tom hates you. That 3m paste sound interesting I will give it a go.