Lightest weight road tubeless tyres...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

benp

by benp

grahus wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:50 pm
Currently running Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance as tubeless, they weigh 250g dead on for the 700x25c.

Can anyone recommend lighter road tubeless, I don't really mind about longevity, just want to see how low I can go and preferably in 25mm width. All I can find are...

Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Isotech Foldable Tyre...205g...but only in a 700x23c.
The Corsa Speed's are available in 25's. I have a pair on my Flo45's. Not had a chance to test, but in the hand they are the most flexible tyres I've owned. I expect them to be fast but not last that long.Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zefs wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:25 am
lol, not sure why I thought I've done 1400k in a week, probably confused it with another tire. It has 250k in it and already cutting.
Getting big cuts on your tread is mostly a function of luck and not tread wear or durability. Whether those cuts go through the casing can be exacerbated by thin tread.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I've been thinking of going tubless and I've been following tubeless threads. I'm currently running Conti 4K II. A lot of my flats are from glass, and they result in a small cut 1-2mm large. Would sealent work with cuts that large? Also, I've been studying rolling resistance on tubeless tires. It seems that the top tires with the best RR are also very thin and lack puncture resistance. I understand that sealent might seal a puncture however where do you find to be the best compromise when it comes to durability? Get a really fast and thin tire and hope for the best? Or get a durable tubeless tire with a thicker thread and sidewall? Some of the heavier tubeless tires have roughly the same RR as the Conti 4K. So it seems that unless you go with a very thin tubeless tire you won't be going any faster than if you were to use a Conti 4K. Am I missing something?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

2mm is not going to seal.. or seal fast enough as to by the time it does (big if ?) you will have like 20psi max... Once my Pro Ones wears out.. I think I'm done with road tubeless.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 am
I've been thinking of going tubless and I've been following tubeless threads. I'm currently running Conti 4K II. A lot of my flats are from glass, and they result in a small cut 1-2mm large. Would sealent work with cuts that large? Also, I've been studying rolling resistance on tubeless tires. It seems that the top tires with the best RR are also very thin and lack puncture resistance. I understand that sealent might seal a puncture however where do you find to be the best compromise when it comes to durability? Get a really fast and thin tire and hope for the best? Or get a durable tubeless tire with a thicker thread and sidewall? Some of the heavier tubeless tires have roughly the same RR as the Conti 4K. So it seems that unless you go with a very thin tubeless tire you won't be going any faster than if you were to use a Conti 4K. Am I missing something?

1-2mm is easy for Orange Seal. My daily trainer tire is the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance TLR 11Storm. My second choice would be Mavic Yksion Pro UST. Not quite as fast as the fastest tubeless tires, but I haven't had a flat in a year.

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 am
2mm is not going to seal.. or seal fast enough as to by the time it does (big if ?) you will have like 20psi max... Once my Pro Ones wears out.. I think I'm done with road tubeless.

Pro Ones are just very puncture prone (with a porous casing,) and you are free to do what you wish based on limited experience. I have sealed plenty of 4-5mm cuts and a few 5-6mm ones on various other tires. Most of them lose less than 5psi even.

zefs' Fusion 5 Galactik race tire has an 8mm long cut and it didn't even puncture.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I use orange seal and no luck.. I like your term of limited ... joker
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is why I’m so confused on tubeless....so many people have vastly different experiences/opinions. Also, what’s really alarming is that there’s actually a discussion about puncture resistance on tubeless tires. If every tubeless tire has sealant why does it matter? Why doesn’t everyone run the Corsa Speed? I’m not bashing tubeless. I’m really trying to understand what issues I might encounter with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefs

by zefs

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 am
This is why I’m so confused on tubeless....so many people have vastly different experiences/opinions. Also, what’s really alarming is that there’s actually a discussion about puncture resistance on tubeless tires. If every tubeless tire has sealant why does it matter? Why doesn’t everyone run the Corsa Speed? I’m not bashing tubeless. I’m really trying to understand what issues I might encounter with one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you have understood it right based on your previous post. Tubeless tires are heavier (because of the bead) and the fast/light ones compromise puncture protection so you need choose one based on your riding conditions. Corsa Speed is for TT only and won't last many km's that's why you can't use it for every ride. It doesn't matter if it has sealant if the tread is done and you need to replace it.
The issues you might encounter are punctures that are too big for the sealant to fix and you have to use worms/plugs or a tube. Not sure why you are getting confused, depending on how many punctures you are currently getting you can select an equivalent tubeless tire and eliminate that.

Before I go tubeless I was having 2 punctures per year on GP4000s2 but never had something pierce the tire so bad that I had to repair it or throw it away (I was changing the tires every about 4000k and they had more life in them). If you get a similar tubeless tire you eliminate the same punctures and pinch flats.

grahus

by grahus

I had an experience on an early ride with my almost new Fusion 5 Performance (also 11Storm), where I didn't see a curb, hit it at speed, and cut the rear tyre on the edge of the tread (5mm cut), and also down at the rim edge (2mm cut).
I rode home using the inner tube I was carrying, because I hadn't educated myself at that point to carry tyre worms and super glue.
So at home, after taking heed of the advice given by @bm0p700f, I used the flexible superglue to fix both cuts. Left it a while to cure (not needed), pumped up the tyre to 100psi, left it a couple of days, then let it down and have been running it at 80psi ever since. It does have a refill of Orange Sealant in it too.

So now I carry the small tube of flexible superglue, two sizes of tyre worms, and I need to get a small disposable bottle of sealant for taking on rides. I've ditched the tubes on my rides now.
Bikes:

Road: Project-X Pro Carbon (7.2kg) | Bianchi via Narone (bare metal project)
MTB: Canyon Spectral 6.0 Ex 27.5" | GT Zaskar 26" | Orange Clockwork 26" (Limited Edition green)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:35 am
I'm calling BS on this one. I run Pro One's and Stan's will seal up a 2mm puncture pretty quick. Stan's Race even faster. 3mm might take a bit longer, but it won't leave you at 20psi, maybe 60psi, but that's still rideable. I've also found that Pro One's hold up fairly well, not as well as their predecessor, but they're better than when Hutcinson first started rolling out 25c and larger tubeless (Fusion 3, Intensive, Sector).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I guess I just have bad luck... I've had 2 flats on pro-one now.. one nothing could have been done and the other was about 2 and didn't seal fast enough. It did let me come to a safe stop which was appreciated.

(not stans.. orange seal for me)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Orange Seal is better than regular Stan's, so that detail in IrrelevantD's post doesn't really matter. Stan's Race is quite a bit thicker to the point of it being inconvenient (clogged valves, more frequent top offs.)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 7:57 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:25 pm

Orange Seal is better than regular Stan's, so that detail in IrrelevantD's post doesn't really matter. Stan's Race is quite a bit thicker to the point of it being inconvenient (clogged valves, more frequent top offs.)
yes I'm aware of that (popular opinion) and it's why I use Orange Seal as well.. I have used Stans (limited :beerchug: ) and found OS better.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

When those pro ones wear out just get a different tubeless tyre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 pm
When those pro ones wear out just get a different tubeless tyre.
any reco's... I thought Pro-Ones were highly rated... they are comfy and feel fast to me... I do prefer a gum sidewall if that exist.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault