32h Alloy Rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Been wanting to upgrade the rims for the Ritchey to something a bit newer. I got the wheels second hand, so they've had a hard life. Going to be laced to record hubs, thinking it's either going to be the new Mavic Open Pro's or HED Belgium.

Is there anything else to consider before I make my desicion. Weigh it's the biggest issue, durability is going to be the biggest factor. Tubeless I can take or leave.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Right after posting I found the DT Swiss R 460 Rim which looks good too

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Hands down Hed Belgium Plus. 21mm internal width, tubeless, and 460g each. Very high quality rims so the built wheels are perfectly round and true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

If you don't want to deal with tubeless, H+Son Archetype is another good option, though it's narrow by today's standards. I don't think wider is better though (but I usually run 23mm or 25mm tyres).
Last edited by istigatrice on Sun May 06, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Kinlin xr26 or 31.

Okay they are not welded, rather pinned, but they look very nice, provide a stable and stiff platform, and has option for both offset and two-to- one spoking

Multebear

by Multebear

glam2deaf wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 3:58 am

Weigh it's (?) the biggest issue, durability is going to be the biggest factor.
If weight isn't the biggest issue, there are lots of options. Practically everything is in play. There are several 500+ grams rims that you wont be able to wear down in several years. Maybe you need to elaborate how small an issue weight really will be. Durability on rims is about how thick the braketrack is. And that purely comes down to weight.

New Open Pro is a completely different rim than Belgiums. I wouldnt pick either. Belgiums are way overpriced and Open Pros are too light to be durable. My personal fave ticking all the boxes especially the pricetag; are the DT R460R. Good width, shape and weight. Easy to build comes in 24/28/32 holes options.

But there are lots of other options out there, if durability is first priority, and weight is of no concern. Rigida DP 18, Mavic A119, Mavic A319, Arcetypes, old Open Pros.

dim

by dim

Hed Belgium Plus .... best of the alloy rims IMHO
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The kinlins are sleeved not pinned. There is a difference. They are good rims.

The Mavic open pro is light but seem fine in service. You can't say they are too light to be durable.

Velocity quill and pacenti Forza are good rims too.

Easton r90sl is another option.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Multebear wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 7:45 pm
If weight isn't the biggest issue, there are lots of options...
:lol: that was a terribly worded sentence on my part haha.

The R460 look to be one of the better options especially on price.

pushstart

by pushstart

+1 for the R460 (though there is also a R470 now that is a bit wider). I have had fantastic experience with building the R460db and great experience with tubeless setup. I seated a Schwalbe G-One Speed on those rims using only a Lezyne mini hand pump! In the US they can be picked up for under $40/rim which is just incredible value.

I've switched to carbon rims for most of my riding, but I have these laced to Novatec hubs for winter (studded tires) wheels right now -- and they'll be excellent backup wheels if I need them.

(I'll probably look at the R470db prices next time I need to build an alloy wheelset, since 18mm is a little narrow for the tires I'm running on that bike.)

Multebear

by Multebear

DT R470 is for disc only, and only comes in 24h:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rim ... nce/r-470/

pushstart

by pushstart

Multebear wrote:DT R470 is for disc only, and only comes in 24h:

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/rim ... nce/r-470/
Good points. Seems odd they only come in 24h; that seems low for stuck a shallow rim. Less surprised that they only come for disc-brake, I guess.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I'm in pretty much the same place - looking for a pair of 32 hole rims to rebuild my Chorus hubs into, for the winter road/light touring bike.
My extra thing is that I'd prefer all silver rims, otherwise I'd probably go for the Kinlin XR26.
Does it really just leave me with Archetypes? Nothing against them, I have a powertap build on one, but there's not much exciting in the choice, and I'd have gone a bit wider given the option....

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 am
I'm in pretty much the same place - looking for a pair of 32 hole rims to rebuild my Chorus hubs into, for the winter road/light touring bike.
My extra thing is that I'd prefer all silver rims, otherwise I'd probably go for the Kinlin XR26.
Does it really just leave me with Archetypes? Nothing against them, I have a powertap build on one, but there's not much exciting in the choice, and I'd have gone a bit wider given the option....
how about these?

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... compatible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

:thumbup: Cheers, I'd not noticed those before