Which latex tubes for 28mm Tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PrimO

by PrimO

I'm using michelin 19-23mm latex tubes on 25mm GP2ks for the last 2 years and zero punctures or issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

tubolito Tubo-ROAD are good for 28's and only weigh 33 grams (latex are approx 85 grams each)

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/tubol ... id:2696948

a bit pricey though, but I will try them with Specialized Turbo Cotton tyres (24 wide .... they measure 27mm wide on my HED Belgium Plus rims .... 33 grams is the same weight as sealant used in 25mm tubeless tyres so the Turbo Cottons should be very fast (I've used them with normal tubes, and they were very quick compared to other tyres that I have used (including GP4000 SII and Vittoria Pave
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

hannawald

by hannawald

Tubolitos are very light but I have read that this type of tube has much higher rolling resistance than latex or light butyl..

dim

by dim

hannawald wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 pm
Tubolitos are very light but I have read that this type of tube has much higher rolling resistance than latex or light butyl..
Science was not my favourite subject at school, but I thought that rotational mass is what makes a huge difference on a wheel? .... The tube is not in contact with the road, the tyre is, so I struggle to understand how the tube has a higher rolling resistance?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

hannawald

by hannawald

it does. Lazy to google it, but you will find explanation online.. they say (measured) that latex tubes has 2-5Watts advantage to butyl tubes per wheel..
rotational mass is important for acceleration..

Hexsense

by Hexsense

dim wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:50 pm
hannawald wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:25 pm
Science was not my favourite subject at school, but I thought that rotational mass is what makes a huge difference on a wheel? .... The tube is not in contact with the road, the tyre is, so I struggle to understand how the tube has a higher rolling resistance?
not weight related.
It's the energy needed to deform the rubber (to comply the road or anything you run over) and energy needed to return back to their form.
thinking of throwing a rubber ball to the ground, it keep bouncing to a less height every time it bounce until it stop at the ground. The energy is lost somewhere in the deforming process, and that also happen when your rubber roll and deform on the road. The side wall suppleness actually contribute more to rolling resistance of the tire more than the rubber thread that touch the ground, IME.

Latex tube tube weight 70g is still faster than Ultra light Butyl tube that weight 55g simply because Latex is more stretchy and require less force to deform and return to their shape.

prokyon

by prokyon

Any experiences with Specialized Turbo Latex tubes? Are they any good? How about the new Schwalbe Aerothan?

MikeD

by MikeD

hannawald wrote:it does. Lazy to google it, but you will find explanation online.. they say (measured) that latex tubes has 2-5Watts advantage to butyl tubes per wheel..
It's more like 0.8 watts per tire https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-clincher

That's not much and I might switch back to lightweight butyl. I'm getting tired of pumping tires for so little gain that I probably wouldn't even notice. Latex tubes lose a lot of air overnight. They also can't take the heat as well as butyl does.

hannawald

by hannawald

MikeD wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:08 pm
hannawald wrote:it does. Lazy to google it, but you will find explanation online.. they say (measured) that latex tubes has 2-5Watts advantage to butyl tubes per wheel..
It's more like 0.8 watts per tire https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s-clincher

That's not much and I might switch back to lightweight butyl. I'm getting tired of pumping tires for so little gain that I probably wouldn't even notice. Latex tubes lose a lot of air overnight. They also can't take the heat as well as butyl does.
I used to pump light butyl before every ride as well..

MikeD

by MikeD

hannawald wrote:
MikeD wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:08 pm

I used to pump light butyl before every ride as well..
There's a difference between a few and a lot of pumps.