Currently on a 1000-mile old Vittoria Corsa CXIII tub. Change out for this saturday's Sportive?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Kaboom

by Kaboom

Hello everyone!

I have been riding the same rear Vittoria Corsa CXIII tubie for the past 1000 miles without any punctures. This Saturday however I'm flying to Mallorca to take part in a 100 mile sportive with quite a bit of climbing and I would hate to puncture and have to start messing with removing a tub on the side of the road or limp home on the emergency Tufo should the two cans of Vittoria Pit Stop fail.
The tread patter in the center of the rear is all gone but there seems to be quite a decent amount of rubber left, but knowing these tubies are not particularly durable, should I just tear it off and install a new one before saturday? Or am I just being paranoid and there's no reason to be scared about the puncture propensity of a 1000-mile old Corsa tub?

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a picture of the most worn area?

/a

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Glue a new one - put in some Orange seal latex in for sure - and ride like the Devil himself. :twisted:

Then you don't have :

* to worry about a flat.
* to glue a Tufo while others ride along.

By far is Orange seal the best sealant for tubular tires - just need about 10-20 ml to stop a little puncure ( tested myself 3 weeks ago after riding a flat on my Vittoria Corsa Grapheen 25mm ). Now the tub. is ready for the rest of the season without worry for a flat..

https://shop.orangeseal.com/collections/all

Kaboom

by Kaboom

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:19 am
How about a picture of the most worn area?

/a

No cuts deeper than the ones seen in the last pic

Asteroid

by Asteroid

You're officially riding on slicks! lol
My recommendation is to swap out for the new one and carry the old as your spare.
Probably lighter than a Tufo, as well.

My rear Veloflex is approaching similar territory at 1,200 miles. Thinking it's worth another 500.
Oldbie

sungod

by sungod

i'd fit a new one in your situation, or worst case leave it on and put some decent sealant in to keep it going if it does get holed

fwiw i find vittoria pitstop ineffective, tufo extreme is far better, i've ridden veloflexes to near bare carcass with 3-4 punctures, kept them going with tufo

not tried orange seal, but as above it's reported to be good too (*not* the 'endurance version)

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Tha advantage of the Orange Sealant over the Tufo is that the Orange seal doesn;t harden in the tubular when not used for a few months. And the Tufo hardens out in the container when not used for 1/2 year and you can trow it away. The Orange Sealant stays liquid in the bottle I have here standing around. I have filled two little 50 gram bottles for me and my son when we are on the road. I use the normal Orange Sealant - not the endurance one.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

My lardy self as a rule of thumb get about 3000 miles from a Conti Competition, about 2000-2200 miles out of a Vitoria Corsa, and about 1700-1800 miles out of a veloflex REAR.

From what you show in the pict, you seem to be fine. Just my opinion!

by Weenie