Bora WTO

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
MaxPower

by MaxPower

dookietwo wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm
I would like to ask you on rim versions of the WTO wheels (33 or 45). Would you take them to the big hills of eg the Italian dolomites on the passo Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo? Would it be safe from the point of view of heating the rims or in the case of wind and rain? Would you rather recommend tubs or tubless?

I have been to these hills several times and have had alloy Campagnolo Zonda wheels. I've never had carbon tires in this big hills. Do you have any experence with clincher wheels in big hills?

Thanks,
John
If you have to ask - don't do it and take the "safe" wheels. Doubts/fears of delamination will screw with your mind - that's not enjoyable

Morkai

by Morkai

This is my 4th tubeless wheelset, 3rd where I've installed the tires myself, but the 1st to not make any popping sounds when inflating tubeless tires for the first time (rear only for now). Is your experience the same?

WTO 60 rim brake with Shimano freehub
Front rim: 704g
Rear rim: 886g
Front QR: 57g
Rear QR: 64g
Valves: 12g
Brake pads: 27g

Schwalbe Pro One TLE Addix 28mm is like 28.2mm at 6 bar.

by Weenie

JKolmo

by JKolmo

You need the pop to be able to rock.

neeb

by neeb

I get pops just putting clinchers on..

TBH, the one problem I have with these wheels is that it's a total b*gger getting tyres off.. Never had that problem with Campy clinchers before, but they weren't 2-way fit.

Curse this tubeless malarkey! :lol: :lol:

maxim809

by maxim809

dookietwo wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:58 pm
I would like to ask you on rim versions of the WTO wheels (33 or 45). Would you take them to the big hills of eg the Italian dolomites on the passo Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo? Would it be safe from the point of view of heating the rims or in the case of wind and rain? Would you rather recommend tubs or tubless?

I have been to these hills several times and have had alloy Campagnolo Zonda wheels. I've never had carbon tires in this big hills. Do you have any experence with clincher wheels in big hills?

Thanks,
John
This really depends on rider weight and weather conditions. I'm 65kg so I don't have trouble descending on carbon and I don't experience severe brake fade that some talk about. But if it's wet or chance of getting wet, I leave the carbon home. Likewise, on +38°C days I pick routes that don't have heavy descents if I'm on carbon. It's not the hard braking / warping that concerns me, but that combined with hitting an unavoidable pot hole.

Out of those 3, IMO Stelvio is the most forgiving on carbon rims. The curves are gentle and the straightaways are long to give your rims a chance to cool. The only caveat about the Stelvio is that it sees the most automobile traffic (thanks Top Gear) so if you get caught behind a slow car, you can find yourself dragging the brakes which isn't great for your equipment. Either have to pull over, overtake, or just roll with it and brake more than usual. Not a problem with aluminum but can be concerning for carbon based on how slow the car is.

Gavia can get wet up at the top. Sometimes frozen/snowy even in June. If you get caught, as you know there are restaurants up at the top. But otherwise it's a choice of waiting it out or just being mindful of the wet conditions and shimming your brakes early. Honestly, not great but not the end of the world because you're going to be careful anyway. Important to keep the hands warm when it's freezing up there... once you've passed the snow everything is fine again.

Mortirolo... descending the south side is fine. Northern side, depending which way you take, can be tricky and I feel should be avoided regardless of braking system. Climbs that are iconic for its steepness & narrowness are often unenjoyable as descents anyway.
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

simbikotic

by simbikotic

Hi! Question about pricing for different freehub bodies: I often see sellers with a significant price difference for these wheels based on the freehub body - up to $400 or more (e.g. https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-bora- ... d-wheelset).

My understanding is that I can pick up a freehub body online for ~$100 so in this case the sensible thing to do is buy the cheaper wheel with the wrong freehub body and replace it? Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yes, you can easily do that. Swapping FB bodies is very easy.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 pm
Yes, you can easily do that. Swapping FB bodies is very easy.
Thanks for the reply. That's great. Makes the pricing strategy of these companies a little strange but :noidea:

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Are the WTO wheels shipping with N3W freehub bodies yet?
• Scott Addict CX 10
• 2002 Cannondale Ultra Headshok CX
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Have the lateral stiffness test results for WTO and Bora ever need posted? I am searching for lateral stiffness of Bora 50 clinchers vs WTO 45 and 60 (rim brake).

simbikotic

by simbikotic

gwerziou wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:07 am
Hmm. Campy website is not listing it in the specs for wto wheels as far as I can see. Curious: are you considering running Boras with Ekar for a gravel build? Or are there other reasons to want N3W?

gwerziou

by gwerziou

simbikotic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Hmm. Campy website is not listing it in the specs for wto wheels as far as I can see. Curious: are you considering running Boras with Ekar for a gravel build? Or are there other reasons to want N3W?
Sort of; I mostly do 'all road' riding and usually run 34's or so, so these wheels would work just fine for me. I have run 38s on the rare occasion but if I need truly biggish tires I'm usually happier with a hardtail mountain bike.

I would assume that all Campy wheels will run N3W in the future. I'm wondering if it's already started.
• Scott Addict CX 10
• 2002 Cannondale Ultra Headshok CX
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

zappafile123

by zappafile123

I just got a set of WTO Dark 60s with a campag freehub.

weight was 1595.2 grams.

GP5000s were *extremely* difficult to mount by hand which is bloody annoying. Building onto a new Colnago V3rs. I'll provide a ride report soon.
Enigma Elite HSS|Sworks SL6|Colnago C60|De Rosa Protos|Bianchi Oltre XR4/2|BMC SLR01 16|Cdale Evo HM 12|Focus Izalco Max|RidleyHelium SL/SLX|BH Ultralight|Basso Diamante 15|Scapin Dyseys S8|Time ZXRS|TCR SL 12|Ridley Noah 08|Look 585|Cervelo SLC

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

gwerziou wrote:
simbikotic wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:19 pm
gwerziou wrote:
Sort of; I mostly do 'all road' riding and usually run 34's or so, so these wheels would work just fine for me. I have run 38s on the rare occasion but if I need truly biggish tires I'm usually happier with a hardtail mountain bike.

I would assume that all Campy wheels will run N3W in the future. I'm wondering if it's already started.
Doubtful as I believe the drive ring is a slightly different diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgpallero

by jgpallero

zappafile123 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:01 am
I just got a set of WTO Dark 60s with a campag freehub.

weight was 1595.2 grams.

GP5000s were *extremely* difficult to mount by hand which is bloody annoying. Building onto a new Colnago V3rs. I'll provide a ride report soon.
Mmm, interesting. I'm tempted to buy a WTO's 33 and I use GP 5000 tires. Has anyone the same problems mounting this Continental tires?

by Weenie