Bora WTO

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
fogman

by fogman

That’s good to know, Edwin. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

maxim809

by maxim809

Noted on the ride report Zappa. I can't waaaaaaait but....

I'm having a heck of a time mounting GP5k's TL's 25mm. Does anyone have experience getting these on, or are GP5k's just a bad match for Bora WTO's?

If successful, tips welcome. I'm thinking of heating them up... I have a Kool Stop jack along the way.
If not successful like me so far, open to alternative tire recommendations.

Going to sleep on it but thinking of throwing tubes and clinchers on to just get rolling.
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

Unniti

by Unniti

GP5k TL is a notoriously tight match on most rims.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It might help if you first mount it on a non-TL wheel and let it stretch for a week at a high pressure using tubes. People say the bead will stretch with use. So subsequent mounting should be pain free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxim809

by maxim809

Nice I'll give that a try. I'll pop in some clinchers in the mean time while I wait a week. Wow it's like eerily like installing tubs

Btw the WTO's are just crazy tight in general. Maybe it's just the tolerances on my particular set. I struggled quite a bit installing plain-Jane clincher GP5k's. Warmed in the sun for 1 hour, liberal soap water bottle spray. Put a hole in the palm of one of my work gloves too, and had to still use 1 of Campy's levers.

Ummm. Yeah. I'm not too confident on the GP5k TL's. I'm contemplating returning these and trying my luck with Corsa TL's. Maybe I can prestretch them on the trainer wheels for the next poor soul.

Edit... also I watched several vids out there... This guy is a boss and got GP5k TLs on WTO 45's without much trouble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2cn31xhtoY&t=1s
2013 Cannondale Synapse | 2015 LaPierre Pulsium | 2016 Pinarello Dogma F8 | 2016 Bianchi XR4 | 2019 Spesh Sprint

kevinw

by kevinw

I run gp5k TLs on my WTO 60s

They are a pain to fit thats for sure. Warming them up helps initially and they certainly stretch over time.

I've had to take mine off and re-install after 1000km or so and was able to do it by hand after having a 2hr struggle with all sorts of tools and swearing originally.

My first set I fitted cold and it was horrible, the second set I heated up and it was bearable.

Smultie

by Smultie

kevinw wrote:I run gp5k TLs on my WTO 60s

They are a pain to fit thats for sure. Warming them up helps initially and they certainly stretch over time.

I've had to take mine off and re-install after 1000km or so and was able to do it by hand after having a 2hr struggle with all sorts of tools and swearing originally.

My first set I fitted cold and it was horrible, the second set I heated up and it was bearable.
How did you heat up the tires?

audiojan

by audiojan

I fitted Schwalbe Pro One TL without any issues what so ever. The easiest TL fit I've ever done (and I have 5 TL wheels sets between my bikes and my wifes bikes).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

kevinw

by kevinw

Smultie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:27 pm
How did you heat up the tires?
Just rested them on top of a radiator for a few mins.

audiojan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:36 pm
I fitted Schwalbe Pro One TL without any issues what so ever. The easiest TL fit I've ever done (and I have 5 TL wheels sets between my bikes and my wifes bikes).
The WTOs are designed with schwalble in mind so not surprising.

timmybike

by timmybike

Just another data point: I just got a set of WTO 33s and mounted the Vittoria Corsa Control TL in 25mm. On the first wheel, I used the Campag tire tool for the last tiny bit of tire bead but on the second one I realized just a little harder push and I could get the tire on totally by hand. Surprisingly easy, tbh, but not scary easy, if that makes sense. To seat them, I did use a compressor; there's no way a pump would have worked by itself. After adding about 1.5 oz of Orange Seal, they have stayed almost exactly where I pumped them, pressure-wise. They absolutely will not hold air without sealant, btw. And there were a couple tiny pinholes in the sidewalls that were clearly sealed by little bubbles of Orange Seal, which surprised me as a relative tubeless newbie.

They ride and brake amazingly well.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Both Schwalbe PRO One TLE and Vittoria Corsa TLR went onto my WTO 33s really easily as well. No compressor for either. Was expecting the Corsa's to be a pain, given other peoples experiences but they were pretty straightforward.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've decided to sell my Bora Ultra 35 clincher wheels and get the Bora WTO 33 and take the extra weight for more aero and lower rolling resistance.
They should be more aero with their wider u shaped rim and special made hub.
Will ride them with Michelin Power Competition25 and Michelin Latex tubes.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've decided to sell my Bora Ultra 35 clincher wheels and get the Bora WTO 33 and take the extra weight for more aero and lower rolling resistance.
They should be more aero with their wider u shaped rim and special made hub.
Will ride them with Michelin Power Competition25 and Michelin Latex tubes.

robertbb

by robertbb

How much more aero do you really believe the WTO33's are, as compared to the Ultra35's?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm
How much more aero do you really believe the WTO33's are, as compared to the Ultra35's?
Oh shut up I just wanted new wheels... ;-) :beerchug:

by Weenie