Bora WTO

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Nohands83 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am
The only negative is if I'm pushing 500w up a short sharp incline (there's a lot in Yorkshire), I'm getting a bit more pad rub on the rear than I expected or experienced with the 35s.
It means the WTO are stiffer than the 35.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

That’s my impression too, WTO 33s are stiffer than Bora 35s.

by Weenie

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Makes sense. It definitely doesn't feel like there's much power being lost.
I think it may be more apparent with a textured braking surface as well, I find the 'rub' sound a bit easier to identify - had similar with my HED blacks.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

How are the 33s in crosswinds (like 50kmh crosswinds) I normally run a Bora Ultra 50 and a WTO 60 for racing, but we've been getting absolutely smashed with 30 40 G 50 or 60kmh winds and its always a crosswind.. its always pretty windy here when the temps finally warm up, but this year has been rather annoying to be honest...

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I’ll give you the argument you want to hear: yes there is a difference - the WTO 33 is much less crosswind sensitive than the Ultra 50 and the WTO 60. In fact the WTO 33s really excel in this department. Happy shopping

sychen

by sychen

ParisCarbon wrote:How are the 33s in crosswinds (like 50kmh crosswinds) I normally run a Bora Ultra 50 and a WTO 60 for racing, but we've been getting absolutely smashed with 30 40 G 50 or 60kmh winds and its always a crosswind.. its always pretty windy here when the temps finally warm up, but this year has been rather annoying to be honest...
Had some windy rides the last few weeks.. Not heaps of crosswind but some like this morning..

Got hit unexpectedly and it was very predictable and safe. More of the whole body/bike moved a bit to the side rather than a violent shove of the front wheel if using my clx50s.

I really love the overall character of the wto33.. It's direct, stiff, minimal lateral flex, predictable in all conditions. As fast as can be expected of a 30mm deep wheel. Like others owners.. makes me curious on how good the 45/60 is.

It's been my primary wheels even with my clx50s back in the quiver.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

guyc

by guyc

I think the 45 is pretty much the perfect all rounder. Agile. Stiff. Fairly aero. Fairly light. Great in windy conditions. I have the 45's and the 60's (my area isn't really hilly enough to warrant 33's) but if I could only have one set it would be the 45's.

sychen

by sychen

guyc wrote:I think the 45 is pretty much the perfect all rounder. Agile. Stiff. Fairly aero. Fairly light. Great in windy conditions. I have the 45's and the 60's (my area isn't really hilly enough to warrant 33's) but if I could only have one set it would be the 45's.
Even without riding the 45 I agree..

If I didn't have the clx50s.. I would of gotten the 45.

It was just too close in depth.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

I've not ridden them in particularly windy weather yet, looking like that might change after this weekend though...

Aside from the quality, crosswinds performance was a deciding factor for me as well. No mountains around here but a lot of heavy gusting winds, exposed moors and fast technical descents (15-20%).

Did consider the 45s but I wanted the option of running a 28s whilst maintaining better crosswind stability, my reasoning being that the lower rim height of the 33 probably offsets the slightly worse wind stability due to the tyre overhang of the 28.

I've also got a set of HED Jet 6 which I switch between TT and road bike for fast flat stuff.

vincenz

by vincenz

jeanjacques wrote:
Nohands83 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:55 am
The only negative is if I'm pushing 500w up a short sharp incline (there's a lot in Yorkshire), I'm getting a bit more pad rub on the rear than I expected or experienced with the 35s.
It means the WTO are stiffer than the 35.
Why would this mean the WTO are stiffer?

If a wheel is stiffer, shouldn’t that cause less deflection and therefore less brake rub? He said he was getting more brake rub with the WTO.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Long story short, a wheel will always deflect, a flexier wheel will just deform on the lower part, a stiff wheel will deflect too but the whole thing will move, upper part too, and touch the pad.

slovenianbp

by slovenianbp

Ordering the WTO 33's as my first carbon wheels to retire my stock 1270(ish) g alu wheelset from oval.
I have been planning to run them with tubes on Turbo cottons.

Has anyone already measured (cottons) which one fits the width better, aero wise, 24c or 26c ?

sychen

by sychen

slovenianbp wrote:Ordering the WTO 33's as my first carbon wheels to retire my stock 1270(ish) g alu wheelset from oval.

Has anyone already measured (cottons) which one fits the width better, aero wise, 24c or 26c ?
Rovals are wider and for pure aero 24mm..i would say 24mm as well on WTO.

However personally I go 25/26mm minimum these days. Unless you are doing a TT.. Loss of efficiencies due to the volume is probably offset.. Not even talking about comfort of lower pressures.

slovenianbp

by slovenianbp

sychen wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 pm
slovenianbp wrote:Ordering the WTO 33's as my first carbon wheels to retire my stock 1270(ish) g alu wheelset from oval.

However personally I go 25/26mm minimum these days. Unless you are doing a TT.. Loss of efficiencies due to the volume is probably offset.. Not even talking about comfort of lower pressures.

Thanks.
Some roads around here I frequently ride are paved, but can be bumpy at some sections so 26c could help there.
Competition wise I would mostly lurk around at uci sanctioned climb events and maybe granfondo here and there. Running 26c x2 means 40g more, so I may try to shave few grams from other parts, might just run conti light tube instead of conti race.

by Weenie

sychen

by sychen

slovenianbp wrote:
sychen wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Thanks.
Some roads around here I frequently ride are paved, but can be bumpy at some sections so 26c could help there.
Competition wise I would mostly lurk around at uci sanctioned climb events and maybe granfondo here and there. Running 26c x2 means 40g more, so I may try to shave few grams from other parts, might just run conti light tube instead of conti race.
For hill climb comps.. Wto33 may not be the best wheels for the job @1500g especially for the depth. For everything else it's a great wheel for it.. I would go 25/26mm.