Bora WTO

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
DudeCrush

by DudeCrush

Its a new build... doing a few rides to make sure fit is correct before we cut down. I'm in agreement with the top spacers. Didn't want it but my bike builder (who is my fitter as well) insisted that we leave it initially and he'll cut it just once.

And calm the F down there Frodo...leave my rings alone. Not all of us are racing snakes. I came from a Trek Emonda which was super upright, so its going to take a while to get me as low as I need to go. 10mm at a time... But you have reminded me that its time to go 10 lower now!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

If you're using the manufacture supplied carbon-ti steerer tube plug (which is very short) than having that many spacers above the stem is very dangerous. When you tighten the stem bolts you're likely causing a gouge on the steerer tube surface that can lead to catastrophic failure. You should absolutely NOT ride that bike and inspect the steerer tube for any surface damage. I have the same bike BTW.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4 eTap
2019 BMC Timemachine Road 01 Di2
2018 BMC Roadmachine 02 Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

zappafile123

by zappafile123

AlgaeHater wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:33 pm
If you're using the manufacture supplied carbon-ti steerer tube plug (which is very short) than having that many spacers above the stem is very dangerous. When you tighten the stem bolts you're likely causing a gouge on the steerer tube surface that can lead to catastrophic failure. You should absolutely NOT ride that bike and inspect the steerer tube for any surface damage. I have the same bike BTW.
+1 definitely bin that piece of crap expander plug.
silvalis wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 am
I thought the warranty issue was having >5mm ABOVE the stem?

The bianchi manuals say max 5mm above and max 35mm below. Interestingly it also says min 5mm below. I guess regardless, he's got more than that both above and below.
I guess it was only one back office dude that told me, but he said the max below varied between different models. He said 2.5 for the XR4 specifically. The 5 mm above still applies.
DudeCrush wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:24 am
And calm the F down there Frodo...leave my rings alone. Not all of us are racing snakes.
As above, it’s a safety issue. At the very least, cut it to the manufacturer’s specification. If it doesn't fit, you bought the wrong frame for you. On the other hand, If you want to risk your life, well...

I hope a Bianchi dealer didn't build that frame up for you. If they did they're 100% negligent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muukpjzb5Jw
Enigma Elite HSS|Sworks SL6|Colnago C60|De Rosa Protos|Bianchi Oltre XR4/2|BMC SLR01 16|Cdale Evo HM 12|Focus Izalco Max|RidleyHelium SL/SLX|BH Ultralight|Basso Diamante 15|Scapin Dyseys S8|Time ZXRS|TCR SL 12|Ridley Noah 08|Look 585|Cervelo SLC

silvalis

by silvalis

zappafile123 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 pm
I hope a Bianchi dealer didn't build that frame up for you. If they did they're 100% negligent.
I know of one bianchi dealer who fits clients up like that.. :roll:
Chasse patate

DudeCrush

by DudeCrush

zappafile123 wrote:
AlgaeHater wrote:
silvalis wrote:

The bianchi manuals say max 5mm above and max 35mm below. Interestingly it also says min 5mm below. I guess regardless, he's got more than that both above and below.
I guess it was only one back office dude that told me, but he said the max below varied between different models. He said 2.5 for the XR4 specifically. The 5 mm above still applies.
DudeCrush wrote:
And calm the F down there Frodo...leave my rings alone. Not all of us are racing snakes.
As above, it’s a safety issue. At the very least, cut it to the manufacturer’s specification. If it doesn't fit, you bought the wrong frame for you. On the other hand, If you want to risk your life, well...

Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately, he is a Bianchi dealer... I'm now quite annoyed because I actually didn't want it that way in the 1st place even without knowing that it was out of spec and actually a safety issue.

But anyway, he is going to fix that for me tomorrow :)

On the bright side, the WTO running Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless is blisteringly quick! And using 28c tyres adds some nice comfort on our roads. They are not the smoothest, so that's always a plus.

My set weighed in at 1480g for the set using a Parktool scale. So I'm very happy with the upgrade over my Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon 40s. Had some strong cross winds this morning and my front wheel did move a little but quite predictably and also less than my mate on his Zipp 302s - and hes a full 11kg heavier than I am. So the marketing hype of the WTO is possibly true.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

DudeCrush wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:25 am
zappafile123 wrote:
AlgaeHater wrote:
silvalis wrote:

DudeCrush wrote:

Thanks for all the info! Unfortunately, he is a Bianchi dealer... I'm now quite annoyed because I actually didn't want it that way in the 1st place even without knowing that it was out of spec and actually a safety issue.

But anyway, he is going to fix that for me tomorrow :)

On the bright side, the WTO running Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance tubeless is blisteringly quick! And using 28c tyres adds some nice comfort on our roads. They are not the smoothest, so that's always a plus.

My set weighed in at 1480g for the set using a Parktool scale. So I'm very happy with the upgrade over my Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon 40s. Had some strong cross winds this morning and my front wheel did move a little but quite predictably and also less than my mate on his Zipp 302s - and hes a full 11kg heavier than I am. So the marketing hype of the WTO is possibly true.

Can you make some pictures of the tire clearance at the front fork and measure the tire with when inflated? Bianchi says max 25mm tires, and i think with 25mm it is pretty tight at the front.

DudeCrush

by DudeCrush

Sure, I will take some pictures after work today. But tyre clearance is not an issue at all. And the BORA WTO is wider than the Fulcrums I had before.

There is still a few mm gap in the rear (maybe 4-5mm), which is very sufficient. Front is much more.

I dont have a caliper to measure the tyre width, but can do that before the weekend at the bike shop.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Would be cool thx

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

Nice to know the measured weight is bang on with factory claim! I have a set of WTO 60 Bright Labels inbound for my XR4 and will post a review once received.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

AlgaeHater wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm
Nice to know the measured weight is bang on with factory claim! I have a set of WTO 60 Bright Labels inbound for my XR4 and will post a review once received.
Currently ride the Bora Ultra 50's on my Oltre XR4 and De Rosa SK and would love to know your input on the WTO 60's.
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Cervelo R5 Disk (Team Sunweb)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

MaxPower

by MaxPower

How good does the G3 lacing cope with heavy riders (90Kg) compared to a 24 spoke Straight pull (fx lates zipp wheels) in terms of reliability, spoke/rim fatigue and lateral play when sprinting?

guyc

by guyc

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:21 pm
AlgaeHater wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:18 pm
Currently ride the Bora Ultra 50's on my Oltre XR4 and De Rosa SK and would love to know your input on the WTO 60's.
They're such a bloody good wheelset. I also had Bora Ultra 50's and the WTO's are the absolute business. They're obviously pretty quick but the way that handle winds is what really impresses me. I ride them in conditions I wouldn't have used the 50's in. I have the 45's as well and the 60's are that good that I'd take the 60's as an all-round wheelset (I ride on rolling terrain without any really significant climbs). The 45's are a little more nimble but the 60's bloody fly. Smooth, the finish is beautiful (like really good), and they roll brilliantly.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

+1! The WTO 60s handle cross wind brilliantly! Much more so than the 50s! Almost like low profile rim wheels.

kevinw

by kevinw

JKolmo wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm
+1! The WTO 60s handle cross wind brilliantly! Much more so than the 50s! Almost like low profile rim wheels.
+2

Wind has never put me off riding my 60s either - I'm wondering if its the diamond profile spokes that make the difference? Don't get me wrong, i'm not going round cycling no-handed in 30mph cross winds but they have never felt scetchy and always controllable.

by Weenie

AlgaeHater

by AlgaeHater

I saw the 60s in person and they looked bloody gorgeous in bright label spec with the high gloss finish. Surprised that they are only 44g heavier than the 45 deep WTOs. If they can handle cross winds well, it will be a no-brainer going with the 60s over the 45s.
2019 S-Works Venge Di2
2018 S-Works CruX 1X Di2